January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope we get the winger right......Nicholas Pepe wasn't one of Unai's better signings at Arsenal.

It seems we are finding it "heavy weather" in our pursuit of new faces.

Pepe is a weird one mate, he looked incredible before he went to Arsenal, and did so in flashes there as well.

I reckon the size of the fee, might have made the signing look worse than it was possibly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

I don’t think that’s very fair mate, every manager signs stinkers, EVERY manager.

Don't we know it....we have had our unfair share.

who's to say, it can't happen again?

Its a fact....how does fair come in to it.

I am just trying to apply some perspective....I think if we can't get our targets, we should keep our powder dry.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope we get the winger right......Nicholas Pepe wasn't one of Unai's better signings at Arsenal.

It seems we are finding it "heavy weather" in our pursuit of new faces.

Isn’t it well established Unai wanted Wilfred Zaha over Pepe, but the club preferred the latter?

Definitely agree with your wider points though, including keeping our powder dry if we can’t get the right people.

Edited by Adam2003

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

And apparently Emery didn’t want him. He wanted Zaha but the board signed Pepe

if that's the case, I retract my comment....Thats the danger of assuming the manager is responsible for all signings.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Isn’t it well established Unai wanted Wilfred Zaha over Pepe, but the club preferred the latter?

Definitely agree with your wider points though, including keeping our powder dry if we can’t get the right people.

Speaking of Zaha, isn't his contract up in 6 months? Cheeky bid?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m surprised people haven’t heard of Williams. He’s massively rated and as mentioned already featured for Spain in the World Cup. Kids only 20.  

He will move to a very big club one day. 

Most people only watch Villa and the games on Sky. I’ve seen people talk about Sterling this week, after the game against Leeds it was nothing but Gnonto.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Adam, I wasn't aware of the " Pepe" situation, which changes my view.

However, signing players, is tricky....because we all assume, they will make us better.....The standout ones to do that, are hard to get, not to mention expensive.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Nico Williams is decent.

If true, him and Merino have rejected us despite us supposedly offering their release clauses.

Boy, are they going to regret that when we lift the Europa League in a few seasons time.

Correction, it will be this one again, unless we qualify for the Europa League, this season?🤔 image.jpeg.4e25796eaf9ab86ce1d0fcdfa460da50.jpeg

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Managers are responsible for the good signings. The bad ones are the director of football's fault.

Tottenham fans are sort of going through this right now. They’re angered by this potential Danjuma signing, thinking it’s a Levy signing where Conte wanted Zaniolo.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Tottenham fans are sort of going through this right now. They’re angered by this potential Danjuma signing, thinking it’s a Levy signing where Conte wanted Zaniolo.

Anyone else think Levy is Ellis re-born?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Adam, I wasn't aware of the " Pepe" situation, which changes my view.

However, signing players, is tricky....because we all assume, they will make us better.....The standout ones to do that, are hard to get, not to mention expensive.

Boubs says hi.

(Sorry couldn't help myself!!)

• Like 1

I suspect the problem is, the strength of the Premier League is inadvertently conspiring against us....In the sense that its harder to qualify for European football in our league, than it is in others.

We are trying to find players to move us forward and those type of players, are more likely to qualify for Euro football, at the clubs they are already at.

Its a conundrum we have to solve.