January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes, all good points. Watkins can frustrate the hell out of me, but I just don’t see him as being a problem. He’s not on massive wages - 50/70k and I think he’s a great option if not a starter. If he demands a move then yeh, you have a problem.

For me, Bailey, Buendia and Cash are the next three to be replaced in the XI. 

Not a problem at all, he brings so much to us and would improve a lot of teams.

Let’s agree to disagree on Buendia 🤣

I know you’re not a fan but he is one of the main players I can see improving with more quality added to the team, will always create for the CF.

Bailey can improve too, he’s our only outlet at times (when he’s “at it” or on form).

Cash… I do think his place is in danger. Not great with the ball but I do rate his defensive abilities… I can see Unai bringing in a RB (summer most likely), Young can’t go on forever and struggles to keep his levels up for 90+ mins regularly, understandable at his age!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree with this tbh. It’s been a f***** excellent move for him. He was never good enough for top team and he’d have known that. To get the contract he did off us was all his Xmas’s come at once. It’s his retirement contract that means kids kids won’t ever have to work. 

Ings came here for the money. Without question. He’s done well out of us. 

Well, when you put it like that… 🤣

I was referring more to career progress, ambitions etc. we haven’t done any better than his previous team while he’s been with us and he hasn’t even been able to get in the team whereas he was the captain there and banging in the goals…

But, he’s made a killing hasn’t he? 🤣

18 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

If Chris Wood is worth £20m to relegation threatened Newcastle then there's no way in hell Ings should be sold for less than that. 

He is arguably our best striker and can make the difference from the bench as well as starting. Also, if he goes there he could help keep a long term rival in the league. 

I'm sure we could get £10-15m for him in the summer, and could understand if we cashed in then. But unless we are sure we have an excellent option lined up to replace him, the type that is hard to get in Jan, I would really rather we didn't sell now. 

Yeah, it’s about where I’m at. I think £15m is bit on the low side, Wood is a good comparison as I think he also had about 18 months left on his contract when he left for Newcastle.

And yeah, he wouldn’t have been on as much as Ings is but he would have been a high earner for Burnley. Plus, y’know Ings is better and is our top scorer and Wood wasn’t for Burnley. I don’t think 20m is unreasonable.

Unless, as I say Villa stick in a clause in for additional payments if West Ham stay up or similar.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah, it’s about where I’m at. I think £15m is bit on the low side, Wood is a good comparison as I think he also had about 18 months left on his contract when he left for Newcastle.

And yeah, he wouldn’t have been on as much as Ings is but he would have been a high earner for Burnley. Plus, y’know Ings is better and is our top scorer and Wood wasn’t for Burnley. I don’t think 20m is unreasonable.

Unless, as I say in the transfer thread Villa stick in a clause in for additional payments if West Ham stay up or similar.

All good points but have villa ever sold (other than chuk and jack) players for decent fees? It's usually a loan to turkey snd then those players just evaporate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

All good points but have villa ever sold (other than chuk and jack) players for decent fees? It's usually a loan to turkey snd then those players just evaporate

We don’t do it often. Off the top of my head I’d say Benteke and Downing meet that criteria in that we probably sold them at their peak value.

Don't sell him for any amount unless we have a first team replacement lined up. Jhon isn't it 

Ings is the perfect age and ability for us as a goal scoring threat to bring in after Watkins has spent 70 minutes running round like a headless chicken tiring the defence out.  Also a great striker for Jhon to learn from without blocking his path to the first team. He presses well, and has an eye for a killer pass.

We need an almost exact replacement if we sell him.  Obviously one that's more mobile would be ideal, but how much is that going to cost and who would that be that we could get in this window?

All for selling him if we get that replacement, but suicide to our top half (maybe European) aspirations if we don't.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

Wood's wages would have been peanuts at Burnley compared to what Ings is on here. If we can get his wages off the books and replace him with a quality addition on lower wages I think the club would do 15 million in a heartbeat 

55 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Did Moffi sign for anyone in the end? If we could replace Ings with Moffi it could be a nice trade.

All I can see on interweb is West Ham looking to sign and it's down to wages

Based on Alan Nixon tweets

Edited by Kiwivillan