January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

How else is a manager supposed to create a squad that fits his style if not by signing players he knows would fit the system?

By telling a competent director of football the type of player he wants.

Then they, with scouting assistance, can scour the entire world for players exactly in the mould requested. They should already have a bank of 100s of players they like. Then the manager can choose from them.

No chance we've done that and come up with Alex Moreno. Emery has said, I want this guy.

Once again, I like Moreno, looking forward to him in a villa shirt. This is a general point from me.

Not always a bad thing when a manager says this is the guy we need, I know it. When it goes right, great. When it goes wrong, you get Lucas Digne.

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They'd have a point though.

Currently looks like we're signing two of his previous players. Links with a third.

Embarrassing/non-existent scouting network.

Embarrassing research done here :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Folski said:

Are we actually going to buy a couple of players this window? Haven't been keeping up, know that Moreno is on his way but other than that can someone update me.

Linked with starlet Eriya Livnik from Ollanygi in Israel.

10 minutes ago, Folski said:

Are we actually going to buy a couple of players this window? Haven't been keeping up, know that Moreno is on his way but other than that can someone update me.

only two that seem close to anything of substance right now are:

Guendozi. Apparently we’re in for him in the €30-35 million range but they want at least €50 for him.

Kang-In. Supposedly battling it out with Newcastle for his signature. In the ballpark of £15million

Edited by Aston_Villan4

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

By telling a competent director of football the type of player he wants.

Then they, with scouting assistance, can scour the entire world for players exactly in the mould requested. They should already have a bank of 100s of players they like. Then the manager can choose from them.

No chance we've done that and come up with Alex Moreno. Emery has said, I want this guy.

Once again, I like Moreno, looking forward to him in a villa shirt. This is a general point from me.

Not always a bad thing when a manager says this is the guy we need, I know it. When it goes right, great. When it goes wrong, you get Lucas Digne.

Kang Lee-in could be the result of this thought, and the same with the players from the second Spanish league. We’re right to be annoyed at past signings especially Gerrards, but if we take away emery’s preferences completely and only try and feed him players we’ve scouted he probably wouldn’t have come here. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

only two that seem close to anything of substance right now are:

Guendozi. Apparently we’re in for him in the €30-35 million range but they want at least €50 for him.

Kang-In. Supposedly battling it out with Newcastle for his signature. In the ball park of £15million

This Ball Park guy is he also Korean?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Manager signs players they are familiar with and respect shocker. Some people will never be happy. 

I get what @Tomaszk is saying though- once Emery does leave will his successor be a similar manager to him with similar playing style or will it be someone totally different again.

Smith , Gerrard and Emery 3 totally different playing styles. 3 different types of players needed to succeed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Folski said:

Yep no probs.  We are in talks with Ozil with a view to 3.5 year contract.  Talks ongoing with Brentford for Ben Mee, he seems keen but Brentford holding out and then we are trying to persuade Bale not to retire and play for us for the remainder of the season because Emery can’t get the winger he wants in January.  Hope that helps.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I get what @Tomaszk is saying though- once Emery does leave will his successor be a similar manager to him with similar playing style or will it be someone totally different again.

Smith , Gerrard and Emery 3 totally different playing styles. 3 different types of players needed to succeed.

Counterpoint: Emery is signing players he knows will immediately transform the team and continues to rebuild in the summer. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You don't get a manager with the calibre of Emery coming to Villa by saying "we'd love to have you Unai, but you absolutely must stick to the "Aston Villa system" - we can't deviate from it".

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Counterpoint: Emery is signing players he knows will immediately transform the team and continues to rebuild in the summer. 

And to add to this, you can’t really worry about signing players that will hopefully be universal. Managerial/coach changes happen in sports. When signing a player you can’t go into it worried about whether or not he may fit another managers system if the current guy is fired.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

You don't get a manager with the calibre of Emery coming to Villa by saying "we'd love to have you Unai, but you absolutely must stick to the "Aston Villa system" - we can't deviate from it".

Exactly and it’s true of any elite manager. I don’t see how both can’t be true, we can’t gamble on rough diamonds right now, we need immediate quality. But people just want to moan unfairly I feel. Emery has a wide scouting network. He wouldn’t be this successful without it. Anyone pretending otherwise is deluding themselves or just wants to bash players signed by Gerrard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

And to add to this, you can’t really worry about signing players that will hopefully be universal. Managerial/coach changes happen in sports. When signing a player you can’t go into it worried about whether or not he may fit another managers system if the current guy is fired.

Exactly! Imagine telling a potential signing, we might sack the manager in four years so we can maybe at best give you a three year deal. It simply doesn’t work like that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s very difficult to succeed though, ignoring Gerrard everyone knows it was a massive mistake. I don’t want to be thinking about when Emery leaves when he hasn’t even got started.