January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

57 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Agreed. The club's recruitment strategy should come from the club and be consistent, regardless of who the manager is. Purslow has flip flopped from developing youth under Smith to buying older, experienced here-and-now players under Gerrard. The latter has meant we have spent big money on players who are a burden on wages and have no re-sale value. That isn't sustainable and is all on Purslow. 

The best thing Purslow has done for Villa is stay out of the **** way when Sawiris tapped Emery.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

And then have Nkunku in the summer apparently.  Just a collection of players than a club these days.

With Chelsea getting Felix, Man United getting Weghorst. We might have a free run

Mattéo Guendouzi has a concrete contract offer from a PL club, whose name has not filtered. The discussions have accelerated lately. No offer has been made to OM for the moment, but the club suspects Aston Villa.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Mattéo Guendouzi has a concrete contract offer from a PL club, whose name has not filtered. The discussions have accelerated lately. No offer has been made to OM for the moment, but the club suspects Aston Villa.

I’ve always liked Guendouzi, he’s talented he can lack a bit of discipline at times in terms of his temperament. I still remember him in that game against us, he essentially turned the game around by himself.

7 hours ago, Indigo said:

Fullkrug has had a great couple of seasons, scored an absolute thunderbastard at the World Cup as well that people may remember.

Think I'll always be wary of the idea of signing attacking players from the Bundesliga though. It's a league where defending is optional and most choose not to do so. Most highlight videos of players from there are filled with defenders falling on their arses or them bizarrely being through 1-on-1 in like the 20th minute with none of them keeper's teammates within about 50 yards of them.

All well and good its probably why Haaland is struggling in England and wont match the 22 league goals he scored last season 😛

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Would be very surprised if Guendouzi was on Emery's list of players given the history of him being dropped from the 1st team squad at Arsenal for disciplinary reasons under him. 

I thought that was Arteta that dropped him for disciplinary reasons? I think at the time people were taking the piss out of Arteta for not being able to handle a 19 year old.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Would be very surprised if Guendouzi was on Emery's list of players given the history of him being dropped from the 1st team squad at Arsenal for disciplinary reasons under him. 

That was Arteta

• Thanks 1

I see Guendouzi got eight assists and four goals in the league last season, fourteen assists in all competitions. I never thought of him as that much of an attacker. Seems like he could be an alternative to McKennie as a eight to challenge McGinn.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, messi11 said:

With Chelsea getting Felix, Man United getting Weghorst. We might have a free run

Apparently behind the scenes Nkunku is a done deal between all parties just needs contracts signing.  Remember Chelsea only signed Felix until the end of the season with no buy option which makes sense if Nkunku is coming in the summer.  Slightly different types of players but even Chelsea can’t keep stockpiling players to have Felix, Havertz, Nkunku, Fofana and whoever else they have, I mean they still the parent club of Lukaku for gods sake.  Anyway, we aren’t getting Nkunku is my original point.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

I see Guendouzi got eight assists and four goals in the league last season, fourteen assists in all competitions. I never thought of him as that much of an attacker. Seems like he could be an alternative to McKennie as a eight to challenge McGinn.

🔍

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apparently behind the scenes Nkunku is a done deal between all parties just needs contracts signing.  Remember Chelsea only signed Felix until the end of the season with no buy option which makes sense if Nkunku is coming in the summer.  Slightly different types of players but even Chelsea can’t keep stockpiling players to have Felix, Havertz, Nkunku, Fofana and whoever else they have, I mean they still the parent club of Lukaku for gods sake.  Anyway, we aren’t getting Nkunku is my original point.

I meant a free run at Thuram 

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1