January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Frustrating, isn’t it. 

Id be shocked if Digne, Coutinho and Ings didn’t see out their contracts here. I wouldn’t be going anywhere if I were them. 

I’ve said it a million times before, but our transfer policy isn’t very good. In fact, I don’t think we’re a very well run club when it comes to the footballing side of things. We’re not terrible, just not very good!

I think I agree with this.  Off the pitch we've been great with the owners in general and the stadium and youth developments. But we really have wasted so much money on mediocre players and then Gerrard and his staff.

I'm hoping Emery can fix this, and that he's allowed to fix it.  I don't think he would have come here if he wasn't given that type of control. 

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think I agree with this.  Off the pitch we've been great with the owners in general and the stadium and youth developments. But we really have wasted so much money on mediocre players and then Gerrard and his staff.

I'm hoping Emery can fix this, and that he's allowed to fix it.  I don't think he would have come here if he wasn't given that type of control. 

I kind of agree and disagree. We've done quite well on the selling side the last couple of years we managed to get £100m for Grealish and £15m for Carney. The early transfers back, difficult could argue we didn't get value from signing Mings, Konsa, Martinez, Cash. Young was a smart pickup. Kamara very good, Luiz good, Buendia looks fairly good, Watkins has been a good buy albeit a little overpriced.

The isue has been the Gerrard signings that largely just haven't worked at all

Ones that haven't been value

Coutinho

Chambers

Digne

Ings (Kind of)

I'm probably forgetting a few.

Since we’ve been promoted we’ve operated under different managers and sporting directors. Lange was an upgrade on Suso and Gerrard was a sidestep from the Smith era. Because of the previous years of mismanagement, Deano worked wonders to get us promoted and buy a squad that could stay up. The consolidation period stuttered under Gerrard but the nucleus of the squad has had to adapt to various styles of plays and shortcomings. It’s why many are nowhere near good enough for Unai. I don’t think it’s always a question of waste but the circumstances from what they arose from. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I kind of agree and disagree. We've done quite well on the selling side the last couple of years we managed to get £100m for Grealish and £15m for Carney. The early transfers back, difficult could argue we didn't get value from signing Mings, Konsa, Martinez, Cash. Young was a smart pickup. Kamara very good, Luiz good, Buendia looks fairly good, Watkins has been a good buy albeit a little overpriced.

Coutinho

Chambers

Digne

Ings (Kind of)

I think we've been terrible on the selling side, Grelaish and Chuk aside, we've lost money on everyone else we've sold.

I think we've made some poor signings even before Gerrard.  We've spunked the Grelaish money away on Bailey, Buendia and Ings, who have all been underwhelming

11 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Coutinho

Chambers

Digne

Ings (Kind of)

We also profited from Targett. Problem is, we were never going to make profit on the sales of the likes of Trez, AEG, Traore, Guilbert etc. I think we mustn’t neglect the economics, we have a lot of spending power compared to much of Europe. Look how the pandemic and the collapse of the tv deal in France almost bankrupted the league. It doesn’t explain all the decision making for good and bad, but it’s also that a factor I think is overlooked in terms of how we move players on who are no longer good enough for what we need. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Since we’ve been promoted we’ve operated under different managers and sporting directors. Lange was an upgrade on Suso and Gerrard was a sidestep from the Smith era. Because of the previous years of mismanagement, Deano worked wonders to get us promoted and buy a squad that could stay up. The consolidation period stuttered under Gerrard but the nucleus of the squad has had to adapt to various styles of plays and shortcomings. It’s why many are nowhere near good enough for Unai. I don’t think it’s always a question of waste but the circumstances from what they arose from. 

I think we did fairly well up until Jack was sold. Forrest are a great example of how hard it is to overhaul a squad and stay up after doing it, and to be honest their signings looked a step up on what we were signing the summer we came up. They’ve still struggled massively. The following window was very good and immediately improved the squad and we had a very good season up until January. We just need to get it right now and in the summer for Unai 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We're not going to get rid of 11 players and bring in 11 players.

Like Howe, Emery will have to get a tune out of underperforming players and improve them.

He needs to try and bring in 2-3 first team players each window.  This summer we signed 2 and one got injured 🤦🏽‍♂️. Previous window we signed 2 and they have both flopped.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we did fairly well up until Jack was sold. Forrest are a great example of how hard it is to overhaul a squad and stay up after doing it, and to be honest their signings looked a step up on what we were signing the summer we came up. They’ve still struggled massively. The following window was very good and immediately improved the squad and we had a very good season up until January. We just need to get it right now and in the summer for Unai 

Oh, totally. The gap between the leagues gets bigger every year. The board was right to reign in Gerrard and following the clearout, Unai will have a clean slate to bring in the players he needs whilst we can decide what to do with some of the young lads on loan. Gerrard set us back massively but working with what he has in 2 months shows just how elite Unai is. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Probably not that many, but Emery was not happy with the attitude of some of the players on Sunday,  I think a few will have sealed their fate.

I think 5/6 names, mainly a mix of fringe and starters will be sold. You have to make an example and set the standard. New additions will push the better quality players to step up (if they don’t you rinse and repeat). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, messi11 said:

Cash isn't Emery first choice. Young is.

Cash isn't a Emery type of RB. He likes his RB to drop back 

You may well be correct, but I like Cash and the fact that he's been linked with Chelsea, suggests that I'm not the only one (although I can't actually see this transfer happening). Matt offers a lot moving forward, but has been asked to perform a different role since SG left, he's been away at the WC while others have been training to adapt to UE's system. Given time, I think he can change and it would be a pity to let him go now, in my opinion. We don't have to sell to buy, do we?

Young has done really well and has shown much more than we could have reasonably expected, but he can't really be seen as a first choice, as the years will catch up with him at some point, if he is asked to start too regularly. Some fringe players will move on during in this window, but I would be surprised and rather disappointed, if the likes of Cash, Digne, Buendia, Coutinho or Ings were among them. That said, UE makes the decisions and I will back the decisions that he makes. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John said:

You may well be correct, but I like Cash and the fact that he's been linked with Chelsea, suggests that I'm not the only one (although I can't actually see this transfer happening). Matt offers a lot moving forward, but has been asked to perform a different role since SG left, he's been away at the WC while others have been training to adapt to UE's system. Given time, I think he can change and it would be a pity to let him go now, in my opinion. We don't have to sell to buy, do we?

Young has done really well and has shown much more than we could have reasonably expected, but he can't really be seen as a first choice, as the years will catch up with him at some point, if he is asked to start too regularly. Some fringe players will move on during in this window, but I would be surprised and rather disappointed, if the likes of Cash, Digne, Buendia, Coutinho or Ings were among them. That said, UE makes the decisions and I will back the decisions that he makes. 

If you back the decisions, I will back then too. I have your back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

As ever with us, it’s a matter of trying to shed some of the dross. And from experience we know that is easier said than done. Expect more arrangements like Guilbert to Strasbourg or Hause to Watford: deals that we subsidise that have no final sale. Then the players go for a free years later, thereby slowing our ability to transform the squad.

Add into that players like Coutinho and Digne: those who are in their late 20s / early 30s who are on massive wages and will not move. 

So much for our big transfer policy idea - using the template of McGinn - eh?

To be honest i think every side as same problem with dross.  I actually don’t think we are bad in comparison.  Imagine being Everton for example 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Cash hasn't had enough time with Emery to learn the new role. He had been given a key attacking role under Gerrard. Plus he had a different role for Poland. He's proven to be one of the best players at the club in time he's been here so he deserves better from us Villa fans than writing him off so quickly.

Buendia and Bailey were signed for a different system and have always adapting to different roles constantly between Gerrard and now Emery. I would imagine one of them moving on.

Digne has good attacking output and has mostly played under a bad manager. He's a quality player so should be here I would say next season. We've got nice competition for him now.

I don't rate Cash defensively, simply can't stop crosses coming in...not sure what you have to learn about that, if you are a full back.

I would be happy to see a RB come in to challenge him.....like the LB berth.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I think we've been terrible on the selling side, Grelaish and Chuk aside, we've lost money on everyone else we've sold.

I think we've made some poor signings even before Gerrard.  We've spunked the Grelaish money away on Bailey, Buendia and Ings, who have all been underwhelming

we've been poor for years.