January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love Pulisic here. I’ve always been really impressed with him when watching him play. Maybe I’ve only seen the good games!

Injuries have always been his downfall...  Just when he starts to get a run going in the first team he'll pick up an injury and loses his place in the team.  

When do the "could be's" " Interested in" " Looking at" ....become the "Advanced Talks"?

4 days to go.

Some little tinker must know something..

I am so interested in what positions, he strengthens.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Perhaps others can answer these questions for me.....

Who do we currently need to replace? How do you know we need to replace them?

We need the following soon:

• Fullbacks - Young isn't getting any younger and we need a backup/developmental player in each role to provide depth and eventually replace Cash/Digne in the team.  
  • Central Defender - Konsa isn't good enough to be a top half Prem starter and Mings will get pushed out of the starting rotation by Carlos this summer.  Bednarik & Chambers don't play well with a high line and need to be replaced as well.
  • Forwards - Ollie works hard but can't finish for his life...  Need to spend big here on at least 1 starting forward, but possibly 2 if Bailey doesn't grow into the role in the 2nd half of this season.  

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

We need the following soon:

• Fullbacks - Young isn't getting any younger and we need a backup/developmental player in each role to provide depth and eventually replace Cash/Digne in the team.  
  • Central Defender - Konsa isn't good enough to be a top half Prem starter and Mings will get pushed out of the starting rotation by Carlos this summer.  Bednarik & Chambers don't play well with a high line and need to be replaced as well.
  • Forwards - Ollie works hard but can't finish for his life...  Need to spend big here on at least 1 starting forward, but possibly 2 if Bailey doesn't grow into the role in the 2nd half of this season.  

Ok and does Emery want a starting player in that position or a back up? 
Does emery think [insert player] isn't good enough? 

My point is people keep saying we need this or that and currently we don't need anything.

The reason we don't need anything is this is a new manager and a completely new system. He has to actually see them play together and try things out before casting them out.

If an opportunity comes up then sure explore it (buying or selling) but saying we should be buying players right now is modern football fan instant gratification 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

My point is people keep saying we need this or that and currently we don't need anything.

The reason we don't need anything is this is a new manager and a completely new system. He has to actually see them play together and try things out before casting them out.

If an opportunity comes up then sure explore it (buying or selling) but saying we should be buying players right now is modern football fan instant gratification 

I guess I'll just go fook off and not bother talking about football on a football forum then...  Let's just stop speculating and let VillaTalk die due to lack of traffic...

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

we need a wide player. 

Because we have 1 wide player / winger in our squad when we play a system where we utilize 2 and that one, Bailey, has been somewhat injury prone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So you honestly don’t believe Emery has a good idea of what he wants in this coming transfer window?  Yes there is fan wanting instant gratification but there is also reasons why our team is upgradeable especially considering we are consistently a lower half table, which isn’t just because how bad Gerrard is, and Emery will have watched 100’s hours of tape along with working with the current squad for almost two months.  He will have seen a lot of what we have seen and will have differing views on many things but also some the same…

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

When did I ever say that? I said the video clip of him which I posted looked awful and asked if anybody who watched him could give better insight.

Again when have I ever said this?  I think we may have to overspend to attract elite players that wouldn’t come to us otherwise.  I don’t advocate for this but an odd player here or there could work.

So that’s two out of two wrong about me!

Buy players that benefit the club whether young or old, cheap or expensive….I haven’t defined what I want down to detail, for me, unlike some fans I evaluate a player on a case by case basis rather than predefined criteria.

When did I ever say this?

We should never judge a player on a YouTube clip. I've watched him many times and he's got great potential. Could be the next Kienan Davis.

I'm not sure when you said it. I must of been dreaming. 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Its funny seeing people list about 6 positions that we need to sign players for, when we've only just bought players for those position. The manager needs to get a tune out of this squad with a couple of additions. I think he will.

• Like 2

Jhon Duran is one of those players that's easy to dream on, but he hasn't been consistent in a league where somebody with his talent should be a lot more effective. That's not to say he wouldn't work here, but he wouldn't be the primary forward signing. He'd be a player for the future and likely won't cost much.

If we're going to splash some cash, I'd go after Dusan Vlahovic. Juventus is in trouble and needs money. That's a move I think is more realistic than most assume, though I wouldn't be surprised if bigger clubs are thinking the same.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I actually think that is a more realistic comment than people saying what we need this window.

I don’t think it’s that unrealistic either. It was funny the way he listed just about every position when the short form would’ve been to just say we basically need a whole new starting 11. Outside of Martinez and Kamara and possibly one or two others over the next 4 windows, I would be disappointed if most of the players we have now are still with the team/starting.

im semi surprised that we havent closed out even 1 deal yet for Jan, all the clubs have had a fair few weeks to broker deals during the world cup, and a reasonable amount have signed players in advance on jan 1st.

Hopefully we arent doing a trolley rush at the end of jan.

• Like 1