January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Linked with Paul Onuachu, a 6ft 7in Nigerian striker who plays for Genk.

Never heard of him, so looked him up expecting to find a 22-year-old, highly rated player on the verge of being signed by a club in the top 5. 

Instead, he's 28 and played all his senior football in Denmark and Belgium.  

I would question why he's still playing at that level at that age and not been signed by someone better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Never heard of him, so looked him up expecting to find a 22-year-old, highly rated player on the verge of being signed by a club in the top 5. 

I would question why he's still playing at that level at that age and not been signed by someone better.

I think we're being linked with every professional player from any European League 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

some of these guys are just late bloomers. They end up breaking on to the scene too late and don’t get their big move soon enough. Before they know it, they’re now in their late 20s and too old for a club in the top 5 leagues to gamble on.That doesn’t mean they’re necessarily bad players though.

Whenever I look through the top performers in a league, its actually not hard to come across players who are putting in incredible stats that sometimes rival the well known players in the same league. The only issue is that they’re old, never got their big break, so no one knows about them. This could be a market we could take advantage of.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

some of these guys are just late bloomers. They end up breaking on to the scene too late and don’t get their big move soon enough. Before they know it, they’re now in their late 20s and too old for a club in the top 5 leagues to gamble on.That doesn’t mean they’re necessarily bad players though.

Whenever I look through the top performers in a league, its actually not hard to come across players who are putting in incredible stats that sometimes rival the well known players in the same league. The only issue is that they’re old, never got their big break, so no one knows about them. This could be a market we could take advantage of.

It would be an incredibly risky market to base your transfer strategy on. 

True you might find some late bloomer who has somehow slipped through the crack of Europe's top clubs, but chances are they are most of them are just not good enough for top 5 leagues, hence why they're still playing where they are at almost 30.

The only players worth risking from them leagues are 18-23 year olds who have potential.

16 hours ago, messi11 said:

Ounahi looks like the new Mahrez! Sign him up 

I'm impressed with him....but consistency, is another factor to consider....This is why we all, change our opinions, in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Not tall enough.🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

[Insert player name in ridiculous mid season knockout tournament that's thrown up random results] would be a great signing

That maybe so, but no worse than some of the "misses" we have signed in the past, from everyday scouting.

just hoping our new regime, does better.

Edited by TRO

I've put together a "realistic" free transfer XI:

David Soria
Héctor Bellerín - Milan Skriniar - Evan Ndicka - Raphaël Guerreiro
Mohamed Elneny - Youri Tielemans
Marco Asensio - Daichi Kamada - Wilfried Zaha
Marcus Thuram

Could definitely see Emery signing Soria on a free.  He was his backup keeper with Sevilla when the beat Liverpool in Europa, played all the Europa games.

Edited by duke313