January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The only " fossil" we might want to get rid of, signed under Gerrard is Coutinho.

What immediate need do we have to get rid of Diego Carlos, Lucas Digne, Boubacar Kamara, Dendonker and Callum Chambers?

Those are Gerrard's signings, and some of our best performers.

Best performers? Digne has been a huge financial flop, Carlos and Kamara have been injured and Dendoncker and Chambers have made 2 starts between them this season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Best performers? Digne has been a huge financial flop, Carlos and Kamara have been injured and Dendoncker and Chambers have made 2 starts between them this season

So does Carlos and Kamara being injured negate their value as overall quality signings? Players get injured.

Digne might not have been a great signing value wise so far, but it hasn't been a shit one either.

Doesn't matter how many starts Dendonker and Chambers have had, they are both very decent players, at decent ages who are valuable to the squad.

Do you lot reckon players will never age?

Do you think every club in the PL has no player over 27 on their books?

A 37 year old has been one of our stand out performers this season.

As I've said, the Gerrard derangement can end now as he's left the club.

The players are individually unattached to him ffs. Or are we going to let this linger on for the mere fact that Gerrard signed them?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Don't know much about Jackson other than he's been a bit of a late bloomer that Villarreal seem quite high on this season. Apparently quite raw but is tall, strong and rapid which I'm all for considering how weak we're made to look in certain games such as on Saturday.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So does Carlos and Kamara being injured negate their value as overall quality signings? Players get injured.

Digne might not have been a great signing value wise so far, but it hasn't been a shit one either.

Doesn't matter how many starts Dendonker and Chambers have had, they are both very decent players, at decent ages who are valuable to the squad.

Do you lot reckon players will never age?

Do you think every club in the PL has no player over 27 on their books?

A 37 year old has been one of our stand out performers this season.

As I've said, the Gerrard derangement can end now as he's left the club.

The players are individually unattached to him ffs. Or are we going to let this linger on for the mere fact that Gerrard signed them?

You said our better performers. How can they be if injured, Carlos played twice and was poor vs Bournemouth so was no guarantee of success

Digne has been so poor most want a 37 year old winger starting ahead of him when fit. Augustinsson also looked better in his cameo

Gerrard's transfer record isn't that bad.

Digne's niggly fitness issues are annoying but he is a clear upgrade on Targett IMO, especially going forward. Like Cash, will look a lot better in a less ridiculous system. At 29, he's not young but hardly ancient. His back up is still going at 37. We probably overpaid by £5m or so but not a disaster.

Coutinho has been poor but at £17m was not expensive. He shows magic at times, hopefully Emery can get a tune out of him. 

Kamara (22) on a free is outstanding business and by all accounts Gerrard was crucial. 

Jury remains out on Carlos due to injury but on paper he was an excellent signing at a decent price. Again, 29 is not too old, especially for a centre half. 

Olsen, Chambers, Dendoncker and the loans of Augustinsson and Bednarek are literally just to plug gaps in the squad. Hardly any money spent, and in that capacity they are fine.

Our prior big money signings of Ings, Bailey and Buendia are the ones we desperately need to work if we want to catapult up the table. All have been good in moments without consistency. 

I am optimistic that Emery will make a big difference to this squad - even if it takes until next season to really see it properly. 

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Villarreal forward. Looks good. Only 21 as well. Think he’d be about £27 million. At least according to the rumors that Everton are after him.

I'm confused, because it seems I've seen 3 apparently brilliant young players at Villareal who are the " next big thing " but they are all right wingers?

Pino, this kid and another who's name I don't remember right now.

Or are these simply " attacking " players who can play across the whole forward line?

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm confused, because it seems I've seen 3 apparently brilliant young players at Villareal who are the " next big thing " but they are all right wingers?

Or are these simply " attacking " players who can play across the whole forward line?

I’m guessing you’re thinking of Alex Baena? From my understanding, Baena is a left winger, Pino a right winger/MR and Jackson plays centrally.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jackson has mostly played down the middle this season as kind of a second striker from a brief check. Although it seems like he has the kind of attributes to play across the front line.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jackson has been playing Left wing/Forward more recently. Comes on a sub a lot of the time. 
Pino can play everywhere! Played CM in the 2 yesterday against Athletic Club. Plays more of the time at Right wing,
Chukwueze plays mostly at Right Wing

All 3 can play a number of positions just like Leon Bailey can

Edited by messi11
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Jackson has been playing Left wing more recently. Comes on a sub a lot of the time. 
Pino can play everywhere! Played CM in the 2 yesterday against Athletic Club. Plays more of the time at Right wing,
Chukwueze plays mostly at Right Wing

All 3 can play a number of positions just like Leon Bailey can

Villarreal have a very young but very bright future in their forward positions. (Until we start poaching them of course)

Jackson - 21

Baena - 21

Chukwueze - 23

Pino - 20.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Villarreal have a very young but very bright future in their forward positions. (Until we start poaching them of course)

Jackson - 21

Baena - 21

Chukwueze - 23

Pino - 20.

Great scouting and developing club. Meanwhile we stuck with OAP's Coutinho and Digne earning 130k+ a week until they are 33

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Great scouting and developing club. Meanwhile we stuck with OAP's Coutinho and Digne earning 130k+ a week until they are 33

Quite ironic that Gerrard did the Everton model.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Your hatred of Digne is just getting a bit much. He’s registered several assists and suffered as much as any other player under Gerrard. He’s played just 25 games for us, not even a full season. Give him a break. 

• Like 2

I've said it before and will echo this -- Lo Celso makes sense for us. And especially as Emery has worked with / signed him at two of his previous clubs so he definitely must have some sort of positive relationship with him

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Villarreal forward. Looks good. Only 21 as well. Think he’d be about £27 million. At least according to the rumors that Everton are after him.

Sounds good. As long as he can make simple passes, spot obvious runs to make, and knows vaguely where the goal is, he'd be a huge upgrade on Ollie.

Edited by Tom13

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

I definitely want us to be signing some more South American prospects. If Brighton is after him, that must say something

We’ve got some of the biggest British prospects like Rory Wilson. Just because his name isn’t foreign doesn’t mean we aren’t scouting big potential either. 

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

I've said it before and will echo this -- Lo Celso makes sense for us. And especially as Emery has worked with / signed him at two of his previous clubs so he definitely must have some sort of positive relationship with him

Never rated Lo Celso and my Spurs mates were never fans of him.  I think he’s more suited to Spanish football than the PL.

• Like 1