Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

23 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

In many ways Brighton with nothing to play for might be a good thing for us. I can see Leeds getting a point vs Spurs, so avoiding defeat should be enough.

A Leeds draw sends them down so presumably if it’s looking like a draw they’ll either go for a winner or concede trying. I am not convinced they’ll do us a favour but they have everything to play for whilst Spurs probably can’t wait for the season to be over, which could help us out.

Hopefully we win and make it all irrelevant anyway.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Take care of our business and we'll get in to Europe.

We can't and shouldn't rely on dirtly Leeds or Man City.

Exactly, Brentford are no mugs at home and could pinch Europe over a complacent pre UCL final Man City if we don't finish the job ourselves. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just sent he scores, would love a Brighton collapse, and then us to turn them over on last day, making me and @GlobalVillan to look like clearings in the woods!

I was 100 percent certain I was going to check BBC Text and see Brighton 3 - 0 up!

We were never going to finish above Brighton after we lost at Man Unied.

We can still finish above Spurs, but beating this Brighton team will not be easy. I think we need a favour from Leeds and Man City.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We were never going to finish above Brighton after we lost at Man Unied.

We can still finish above Spurs, but beating this Brighton team will not be easy. I think we need a favour from Leeds and Man City.

We'd be level on points with them if we had beat Wolves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We'd be level on points with them if we had beat Wolves.

Yes but we didn't and I never thought we would. We were obviously not going to win enough points post Man United in order to catch them.

That's what I meant. And that's how it played out.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

Yes bit we didn't and I never thought we would. We were obviously not going to win enough points post Man United in order to catch them.

But it was possible after the United game, that was my point.

Brighton wouldn't want any of their prized assets getting injured in a meaningless game for them. I can see the likes of Mac Allister and Caicedo sitting the game out.

I envision one of Brentford (Man City will be focused on UCL) or Spurs (Leeds are a basket case) winning on the final day, thus bottom line we need to win.

As for the Conference League,  it is less competitive than the UEL and thus will allow us to give more playing time to our youth and fringe players.  Could be valuable for the likes of Archer, A. Ramsey, Coutinho 😅...

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

But it was possible after the United game, that was my point.

Then you missed my original point.

It's like me saying it was obvious at Christmas that Leeds would be in a relegation battle, even though they could mathematically still win the league at that point. 

I base my predictions on more than just how many points you can mathematically attain. We left ourselves to much to do after the Man United loss and Brighton were never going to lose all those games against the big clubs. I made a point of that at the time as well and got called negative and pessimistic.

I called it "realistic". For a reason.

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes but we didn't and I never thought we would. We were obviously not going to win enough points post Man United in order to catch them.

Also played out exactly as many expected...

Last game of the season.

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Brighton wouldn't want any of their prized assets getting injured in a meaningless game for them. I can see the likes of Mac Allister and Caicedo sitting the game out.

I envision one of Brentford (Man City will be focused on UCL) or Spurs (Leeds are a basket case) winning on the final day, thus bottom line we need to win.

As for the Conference League,  it is less competitive than the UEL and thus will allow us to give more playing time to our youth and fringe players.  Could be valuable for the likes of Archer, A. Ramsey, Coutinho 😅...

Think that is a good point about Conference League. As our squad is now and with 4-5 signings this summer it might suit us better. If we get there.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Also played out exactly as many expected...

Last game of the season.

No it didn't. It was the last game of the season "between us and Brighton" that you were advocating for and I said they'd be well clear of us by then.

Which they are.

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No it didn't. It was the last game of the season "between us and Brighton" that you were advocating for and I said they'd be well clear of us by then.

Which they are.

Er no, it would come down to last game of the season. It has, deal with it...

Thought you blocked me anyhow? You lied about that too eh? Touché.

Just be thankful Villa have a chance at European qualification, focus on the positive.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang