Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

As said before though those fringe players are £30m+ internationals

Haaland will want his goal bonus money, if he does drop him then world cup winner Alvarez will start instead, if he drops grealish it will be for mahrez, Dias for laporte

Screenshot_20230520_225204.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Nah. Guardiola is ruthless.

He will want to aquire as many points as possible.

He’s said straight out he plans to rest players to prepare for the two finals. Luckily their rotation is still a crop of £50m players.

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

It didn't work well for West Ham this season! I'm not saying we'd be that shit, but it's arguable that it it be a bit of a shame if our league form suffered just to play in the Conference.

I'd think more of it if there wasn't a group stage.

Don’t get this logic. Unless you think we are going to win the league, success in the league means qualifying for Europe… if we don’t want to qualify for Europe so we can do better in the league and qualify for Europe that’s odd to me. Doesn’t really matter what the competition is and it’s 27 years since we won a trophy. Bring it on!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s said straight out he plans to rest players to prepare for the two finals. Luckily their rotation is still a crop of £50m players.

It's irrelevant. The fringe players will want to perform well so that they might get a game in one of the finals. Like you said, even the backups are quality as well so I can't see them being a rollover against Brighton. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He will but he also won't want them losing match fitness and their bodies starting the shut down process that comes when u take a break after sustained performance. Their first choice will still play either parts of both games or, more likely, most of one. 

But, it might work out for the best. Do you see Grealish, Haaland and De Bruyne putting their all in to a dead rubber league game knowing they've got a Champions League final coming up? Even subconsciously they'll be holding something back.

Their backups will be putting in everything in the off chance it persuades pep to give them a run out in the finals, and the backups are all worth more than our record ever signing.

They should definitely still be expected to win.

Edited by MrBlack
Typos galore
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Don’t get this logic. Unless you think we are going to win the league, success in the league means qualifying for Europe… if we don’t want to qualify for Europe so we can do better in the league and qualify for Europe that’s odd to me. Doesn’t really matter what the competition is and it’s 27 years since we won a trophy. Bring it on!

The logic is that Conference when you do not have sufficient depth is a way to end up in a relegation battle, and winning a Europa League spot for the next year to fit in around a Championship schedule is a poor bargain. 

we can’t fill our bench right now, you want to add a ton of European matches? There better be a big kitty for this summer if so. 

And look I would love to qualify, but be careful what you wish for. 

Edited by 479Villan

1 minute ago, 479Villan said:

The logic is that Conference when you do not have sufficient depth is a way to end up in a relegation battle, and winning a Europa League spot for the next year to fit in around a Championship schedule is a poor bargain. 

we can’t fill our bench right now, you want to add a ton of European matches? There better be a big kitty for this summer if so. 

And look I would love to qualify, but be careful what you wish for. 

We will sign players this summer. And we won’t be anywhere near relegation whatever cups we end up in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

We will sign players this summer. And we won’t be anywhere near relegation whatever cups we end up in.

Whilst I appreciate your confidence, I’m sure a similar sentiment existed in East London last year. 

and then they had to pay us for Ings

Edited by 479Villan

Just now, 479Villan said:

Whilst I appreciate your confidence, I’m sure a similar sentiment existed in West London last year. 

and then they had to pay us for Ings

Leaving aside the fact I think Emery is better than Moyes and I think our players are better than West Ham’s, West Ham are one game away from this being their best season/first trophy in 30+ years, so not sure I buy that argument. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Leaving aside the fact I think Emery is better than Moyes and I think our players are better than West Ham’s, West Ham are one game away from this being their best season/first trophy in 30+ years, so not sure I buy that argument. 

They were also in firm relegation contention until about 10 days ago. That fluke United win saved their butts. 

again, I would love Europe. But if we get it, we need to make more signings and commit the academy to a lot of those games to start. 

Well, Emery is clearly enthusiastic about any route in to Europe, so I'm officially on the bandwagon. We can perish the thought of MON in Moscow once and for all and go win the damn thing.

58 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He played some fringe players in the Carabao cup and they lost at Southampton. 

Any chance to get any European competition should be grasped. We've got Emery, but any future season will be a right old scrap to get into Europe again. Especially with Newcastle's new ownership and having the CL to attract players. Chelsea will come again as well.

Not saying we won't get into Europe in future, but we have to give everything to get into it this season. Conference League or not.

• Like 2