Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

It’s in our own hands ffs, don’t need to rely on other teams. If we don’t qualify for Europe it’s because we haven’t won must win games. Would much rather be in control of our destiny. 

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I could see us finishing 8th or 9th now to be honest.

Now you must be trolling? Brentford are 4 points behind with 4 games left for them…so you think we are going to implode and barely get points?  Doesn’t seem to follow with our recent run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

As I've said before I'm bemused by people saying they want Spurs to get anything tomorrow. Their GD is closest of the teams around us to what we have so it's feasible we can finish level on points and be above them in a few games time.

We need Spurs getting as few points as possible now.

Yep completely agree.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Brighton also have United, and Newcastle.

Spurs are the least threatening outfit in the top half at the moment. 

It's a mega overreaction to them beating a wolves team that are now 99% safe and on the beach

You must be confident then next week that we are goung to go to wolves and win something we havent done in years

Spurs i dont know if they are least "threatening" under mason have to see how he does in next few games to see if thats correct

• Haha 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Now you must be trolling? Brentford are 4 points behind with 4 games left for them…so you think we are going to implode and barely get points?  Doesn’t seem to follow with our recent run.

I don't think we've a hope of beating United, Spurs, Liverpool or Brighton tbh, and I believe the tide elsewhere is turning against us. That just leaves Wolves that I think we'll beat.

I'm not trolling, I've just seen all this before — people said the same shit the year we missed out on CL under O'Neill, that we were in great form, it was all in our hands and there's no way we'd throw it away, and then the teams around us went on unbelievable runs and we began to struggle against their quality.

It's the Villa way. Luck is never on our side, and when given control over our own destiny, we promptly cock it up.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I don't think we've a hope of beating United, Spurs, Liverpool or Brighton tbh, and I believe the tide elsewhere is turning against us. That just leaves Wolves that I think we'll beat.

I'm not trolling, I've just seen all this before — people said the same shit the year we missed out on CL under O'Neill, that we were in great form, it was all in our hands and there's no way we'd throw it away, and then the teams around us went on unbelievable runs and we began to struggle against their quality.

It's the Villa way. Luck is never on our side, and when given control over our own destiny, we promptly cock it up.

Glad Emery is made of sterner stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You must be confident then next week that we are goung to go to wolves and win something we havent done in years

Spurs i dont know if they are least "threatening" under mason have to see how he does in next few games to see if thats correct

I think we can do Wolves.  We are a better team, Emery is breaking barriers, we are on a tremendous run and Wolves just got smashed, maybe they are on the beach.  It’s a derby so there will be extra spice to it but I think will win over.  Tomo is a hard game for us at Man U but Emery is showing we win when we are expected to and thus I’m more confident about next week against Wolves.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Glad Emery is made of sterner stuff.

Well yes, probably because he hasn't had to support the shitshow that has been Aston Villa Football Club for the past 30 years, and because he's paid millions to be combative and positive.

I have bled money for years watching us fail, I take it you haven't been affected by it at all?

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

If we lose all 4 of those games we simply don’t deserve European football. Out of interest did you think we would smash Newcastle? 

• Like 1

Just now, WHY said:

If we lose all 4 of those games we simply don’t deserve European football. Out of interest did you think we would smash Newcastle? 

Nah of course I didn't, that was a great result but nor did they or anyone else so we had that element of surprise on our side. It worries me greatly when neutral friends text me with "Villa for Europe!" and other posters on here start predicting/expecting us to beat teams like Liverpool and Spurs. Virtually guarantees that we won't.

Just now, est1874 said:

Well yes, probably because he hasn't had to support the shitshow that has been Aston Villa Football Club for the past 30 years, and because he's paid millions to be combative and positive.

I have bled money for years watching us fail, I take it you haven't been affected by it at all?

I'm 45 and went to my first Villa game in 1986, thirty-seven years!

Not about me and negativity, It's a new dawn, everything is positive under Emery.

#mentalityshift 

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Nah of course I didn't, that was a great result but nor did they or anyone else so we had that element of surprise on our side. It worries me greatly when neutral friends text me with "Villa for Europe!" and other posters on here start predicting/expecting us to beat teams like Liverpool and Spurs. Virtually guarantees that we won't.

I don’t disagree but it’s in our own hands, our squad depth could cost us in the end, either way it’s been a very good season with good foundations to build on! 

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Brentford finish with Liverpool and Spurs away and Man. City at home. We need them to get something at Spurs ideally but it would be some collapse from us to finish below them now.

We've generally had a good record v Brighton since promotion, just 1 defeat in 7 games I think so psychologically they don't impact on us as much as say West Ham do in the match ups regardless of form.

That said I'd rather a scenario where on final day we have to play out a draw v them to make europe as opposed to beat them. VP needs to be ready for either scenario.

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't think we've a hope of beating United, Spurs, Liverpool or Brighton tbh, and I believe the tide elsewhere is turning against us.

Based on what? Our form is up there we Man City and Arsenal.  What’s our current unbeaten record, we’ve won 5 of our last six and it goes further back than that.  United are conceding goals and a weak defence, Liverpool are resurging but vulnerable at the back and midfield and Brighton won brilliant today but have shown recently they are having mixed results.  Out of all those teams we are the form team and pushed aside all competition put in front of us.

I’ve seen it all before but this is different people and surely what you are saying about us can also put against Brighton and Spurs bottling it.  In fact Spurs are perennial bottlers.  Also our quality matches the teams around us, we certainly a better team than Brighton, Spurs without Kane are pretty average whereas we are a very well balanced quality team.

Yeah it is the Villa way but Emery has been breaking many of these things in his short tenure hasn’t he, from beating teams we struggle with, runs, not conceding late on etc.  it may revert to type but we are flying at the moment and I’m not seeing it stopping, or nothing to suggest it.

Edited by nick76

It’s going to go the last day of the season for sure. I haven’t done one of them predictor things but if I was going to predict a worst case scenario for Villas/Spurs/Brighton final fixtures going into the final game of the season. I would think something like this

Villa - Man Utd L, Wolves D Spurs W Liverpool L 58 points

Brighton - Man Utd W, Everton W Arsenal L Newcastle L Southampton W Man City L 61 points

Spurs - Liverpool L Palace W Villa L Brentford W 60 points 

Villa v Spurs is going to be a must win I feel, but if can beat Wolves and get a positive result against Man Utd/Liverpool could be on 62 points ish going into the last day.

Only worry for me with Brighton is if they manage to get anything out of Arsenal/Newcastle/Man City then could be on more points if they do. I don’t see them dropping points in the other 3 games. 

With Spurs they are probably going to be playing a Palace side on the beach now they have hit 40 points and by the time they play Brentford I can see them being on the beach aswell so good chance for 2 home wins there. Away from home I don’t expect them to get anything and if Leeds need to win to stay up last day I don’t think Spurs will win there.

If Villa need a result last day to get Europe I’d be very confident Villa would get it, especially since Brighton will have had to play Man City 4 days before. 

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Jesus Christ... I hope there's a code on the medicine cabinet and that you don't know what it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RichW said:

It’s going to go the last day of the season for sure. I haven’t done one of them predictor things but if I was going to predict a worst case scenario for Villas/Spurs/Brighton final fixtures going into the final game of the season. I would think something like this

Villa - Man Utd L, Wolves D Spurs W Liverpool L 58 points

Brighton - Man Utd W, Everton W Arsenal L Newcastle L Southampton W Man City L 61 points

Spurs - Liverpool L Palace W Villa L Brentford W 60 points 

Villa v Spurs is going to be a must win I feel, but if can beat Wolves and get a positive result against Man Utd/Liverpool could be on 62 points ish going into the last day.

Only worry for me with Brighton is if they manage to get anything out of Arsenal/Newcastle/Man City then could be on more points if they do. I don’t see them dropping points in the other 3 games. 

With Spurs they are probably going to be playing a Palace side on the beach now they have hit 40 points and by the time they play Brentford I can see them being on the beach aswell so good chance for 2 home wins there. Away from home I don’t expect them to get anything and if Leeds need to win to stay up last day I don’t think Spurs will win there.

If Villa need a result last day to get Europe I’d be very confident Villa would get it, especially since Brighton will have had to play Man City 4 days before. 

Hope we have a better scenario than that!

We wouldn't have a hope of finishing above Brighton on final day if we were three points off them as their GD is miles better so would require a very big win. They still have loads of tough fixtures left so fair play to them if they pull clear of us.

Spurs could just draw/win at Leeds in desperate relegation situation so needing them to lose and us to win to go above them isn't a great situation either.

We need to beat Spurs at VP and then we can keep them at arms length as I don't think they'll win both the Palace and Brentford home games.