Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Just having a look at our remaining fixtures, we have a run in that on paper, looks like we could pick up a lot of points.

Now football never works that way but it's good to be excited about how the season finishes...

We can definitely get 7th if we can put together a decent run of form. 

We won't catch Liverpool I don't think but Fulham are 8 points ahead but they've played 1 more match.

It's doable!

What about Chelsea? They are playing poorly but with their quality and even just a few per cent in better performance and they’ll pick up more points than us plus have an extra game.  Newcastle have a game in hand and 10 points ahead, Brentford and Brighton are four points ahead with games in hand.  We need four teams to drop away who have extra games and we need to go on a mad run…I just don’t see it, too many things need to happen and I’m still just hoping for top 10 because that is far from a given.  Top 7 just seems fantasy land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

What about Chelsea? They are playing poorly but with their quality and even just a few per cent in better performance and they’ll pick up more points than us plus have an extra game.  Newcastle have a game in hand and 10 points ahead, Brentford and Brighton are four points ahead with games in hand.  We need four teams to drop away who have extra games and we need to go on a mad run…I just don’t see it, too many things need to happen and I’m still just hoping for top 10 because that is far from a given.  Top 7 just seems fantasy land.

I've had Chelsea down to pick up as many points in their next 5 games as the 10 games after that. But I'd expected their results to have picked up by before now and they haven't. And they've still got champs league distraction. They flunk the next 5 and I think they are done. After that they are still to play Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle, Liverpool, Brighton and Brentford.

Just now, tomsky_11 said:

I've had Chelsea down to pick up as many points in their next 5 games as the 10 games after that. But I'd expected their results to have picked up by before now and they haven't. And they've still got champs league distraction. They flunk the next 5 and I think they are done. After that they are still to play Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle, Liverpool, Brighton and Brentford.

Given the players they have i bizarrely expect them to play better against the big teams than the mid teams and they certainly have the quality to turn over big teams.  You see it so often that dysfunctional elite quality teams turn up against the best and badly falter against the weak teams.  So predicting Chelsea’s run is a fruitless exercise.  They could also suddenly click into gear or just be awful for the rest of the season.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I take your points, I hate Chelsea and assume we'll beat them. I said it was doable, I didn't say say bet your house on it.

I am happy to live in fantasy land until the facts tell me I can't 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Given the players they have i bizarrely expect them to play better against the big teams than the mid teams and they certainly have the quality to turn over big teams.  You see it so often that dysfunctional elite quality teams turn up against the best and badly falter against the weak teams.  So predicting Chelsea’s run is a fruitless exercise.  They could also suddenly click into gear or just be awful for the rest of the season.

They'll need 2ppg for remainder of season just to have a chance of 7th. Don't see it happening with their run and current form. I've got them improving their form to date and beating us and our form under Emery falling and them still not pulling away from us.

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Just let’s do our job and win points here and there, see where it takes us. Then at the end of the season we have some 6 pointers. We should aim to put ourselves where we can compete by then and see how it goes. Had we won against Leicester and kept a draw against Arsenal things would’ve been much different. Just go and try to get our good form at home against Palace and take it from there.

We definitely have a chance if we keep winning matches! 

But seriously, a top half finish will be a very good job, given the Jan window difficulties and the fact we've changed manager mid-season yet again. God I want us to start a season with a manager, and some top players in place from the very beginning.

34 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Just let’s do our job and win points here and there, see where it takes us. Then at the end of the season we have some 6 pointers. We should aim to put ourselves where we can compete by then and see how it goes. Had we won against Leicester and kept a draw against Arsenal things would’ve been much different. Just go and try to get our good form at home against Palace and take it from there.

Oh I completely agree but as it’s a thread discussing top 7 then it’s fair to discuss our chances of top 7.  All we can do is focus on our games and do the best we can and see where that lands us but as this forum and specifically this thread is discussing a topic then it’s valid to discuss don’t you think.

16 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Also, about four or five games ago I had a go at predicting the remaining results for the teams currently 4th down to us in 11th. I think I had us in 9th on 56 points then.

As of now the remaining predicted results give the following finishing table:

4th Liverpool 67

5th Newcastle 64

6th Spurs 62

7th BHA 61

8th Brentford 54

9th Chelsea 53

10th VILLA 53

11th Fulham 51

I always find with these sorts of points hauls that predictors barely give teams in the bottom six anything when looking at games. I mean you must have Liverpool basically beating every single bottom half team left if you've got them on 67 points!! They lost to Forest and Leeds back to back before the world cup break.

Not sure Newcastle will get anywhere near 64 points either considering they've still got homes left v Spurs, Man. United and Arsenal and Man. City away next.

53 points will be a good final tally for us, think we'll be higher than 10th with that aswell.

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Chelsea will barely make it past 50 points imo. Still got aways to both Manchester clubs and Arsenal and can see in their current state them drawing more home games (v us aswell).

Of course if they sack Potter that can all change, I think they will if they don't get past Dortmund in the second leg.

As regards us we need to be beating Palace and Bournemouth in next two home games and then see how close we are to 7th. Brentford-Fulham is next Monday so at least one of those will drop points.

Edited by VillaChris

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea will barely make it past 50 points imo. Still got aways to both Manchester clubs and Arsenal and can see in their current state them drawing more home games (v us aswell).

Of course if they sack Potter that can all change, I think they will if they don't get past Dortmund in the second leg.

As regards us we need to be beating Palace and Bournemouth in next two home games and then see how close we are to 7th. Brentford-Fulham is next Monday so at least one of those will drop points.

Yep but we also still need 19 points from 14 games to get to 50 points.  Certainly more than achievable but far from a given because we know how the Villa are.  We should obviously go for 7th but I just don’t see four teams dropping that far and us being good enough to get there as well.  

We have the right manager but as a team we have too many flaws in the squad to get there this season imo.  All just guessing by all of us obviously but if we could do it then we are going to have a great end of season but imo I’m realistic enough to hope for 7th but think getting in the top 10 or 9 with a greater than 50 points total would be a great base ready for next season especially after the start under Gerrard.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yep but we also still need 19 points from 14 games to get to 50 points.  Certainly more than achievable but far from a given because we know how the Villa are.  We should obviously go for 7th but I just don’t see four teams dropping that far and us being good enough to get there as well.  

We have the right manager but as a team we have too many flaws in the squad to get there this season imo.  All just guessing by all of us obviously but if we could do it then we are going to have a great end of season but imo I’m realistic enough to hope for 7th but think getting in the top 10 or 9 with a greater than 50 points total would be a great base ready for next season especially after the start under Gerrard.

Need to get the home form going again. I'm expecting wins v Palace and Bournemouth. Forest is a very winnable game aswell given they've only scored 3 goals away all season but local derby makes it a little different. Would be nice to get a top 6 win at VP before end of the season, can we play like we did v Spurs on home turf as we did a very good job down there on NYD and deservedly won.

It's not impossible we could get close to 50 points from just home games and we've won 4 out of 5 away under Unai so far so you're then looking for 6-7 points from Brentford, Wolves and Leicester which won't be easy but possible.

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Need to get the home form going again. I'm expecting wins v Palace and Bournemouth. Forest is a very winnable game aswell given they've only scored 3 goals away all season but local derby makes it a little different. Would be nice to get a top 6 win at VP before end of the season, can we play like we did v Spurs on home turf as we did a very good job down there on NYD and deservedly won.

It's not impossible we could get close to 50 points from just home games and we've won 4 out of 5 away under Unai so far so you're then looking for 6-7 points from Brentford, Wolves and Leicester which won't be easy but possible.

I don’t expect wins because I know we give teams that are struggling a win and players out of form suddenly have blinders.  Just watched the Spurs/Chelsea game and the commentator said Chelsea’s last away win was in October against Villa and I thought “bloody typical”.  I’ve long since realised predicting individual games is fruitless so I just aim for points over a group of games and then hope that gets us the placing we want.  

I think we’ll have a few more bumps before the end of the season along with some highs, this team has been poor for two years and even an elite manager like Emery can’t completely turn that around in 3 months.  The future is bright though so let’s do as best as we can ourselves and hope others falter.

Quite some negativity in here, get positive.

Villa have an elite manager in Emery who wants to find a solution to our home form.

We have three winnable games coming up, although Wet Spam away might be tricky. Seven points from three games may put us top seven.

Villa also have to play Brentford, Fulham and Brighton; winning all three and maintaining our form I think would likely put us seventh.

It is very much on as far as I'm concerned.

Emery being super-positive will also be aiming for top seven.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We have three winnable games coming up, although Wet Spam away might be tricky.

You just know Ings is going to turn into a hybrid of Haaland and Mbappe and score the perfect hat trick.

At least he probably won't celebrate though... lol