Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

11 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

25 points after 19 games.  Emery has helped us obtain 13 points already.

It’s looking very decent but still think we’ll finish between 8th and 10th place.

16 points in the last 8 games

The club will be absolutely regretting keeping Gerrard as long as they did

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So 2 PPG since Gerrard left. That’s 76 points and Champions League form over a season 😊

• Like 1

I'd imagine top ten is the least we will get...

However the aim will be to push for top six, it won't be spun publicly though.

We are three points off seventh, if results go our way this and next week Villa are right in the mix for top six.

We gotta be looking at overtaking Fulham. I remember in the Championship this was a foolhardy task as they just kept winning, but they'll fall away at some point this season. Chelsea look shaky as well. We'll need to finish above both of we hope to get 7th.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Dont really care about the Chelsea or Palace result. We just gotta keep picking up points.

Chelsea needs to keep losing points. Especially against Low and midtable  teams.

Fulham to win or draw against Newcastle. Palace to win (atleast draw) against Chelsea. Spurs to lose against Arsenal and City.

Brighton to draw against Liverpool. Bournemouth to get something from Brentford. Forest to win against Leicester. Wolves to win against West Ham. 

Those are our best results to happen this week. 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Nothing really matters this season. 

If we can get top half then that's fantastic. 

Next year is when the expectations should rise.

It would be good to finish a season very strongly though.

If you look back historically we had that amazing run when Gregory came in Feb 1998 and that helped us start next season in brilliant form and top the league.

In MON's first season we actually had a pretty good last 10 or so games so it does help with morale and general belief rather than just limping over the line as we did for last few months of last season which I didn't think was a good sign at all and so it continued into the next season.

Think a target now should be to win 10 home games. We last did that in premier league in 07/08. Wins v Forest, Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham and Brighton gets us to double figures home wins.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

To some extent. 

But then we did Deano's 2nd season. 

To be fair, expectations always have to be reigned in when a new manager comes in. 

Even in DS season many (including the players) just seemed to write the last three months off as soon as Grealish got his shin splints. 

We had a very poor run until he came back and we won our last two and got to 55 points but we really should've finished on 60 + points and comfortable top half.

Fulham, Brentford and Brighton won't keep on winning forever so we should be targeting finishing above two of those and that will be 8th-9th.

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Dont really care about the Chelsea or Palace result. We just gotta keep picking up points.

Chelsea got Liverpool away next weekend so they'll drop points there for sure in their current state. Indeed it wouldn't shock me if today Brighton beat Liverpool so next weekend we could be playing to go level with Liverpool (I assume Liverpool-Chelsea is a Sunday game).

Has that new competition been scrapped or do we not count it as being in Europe? Europa Conference or whatever it was called, don't think you need to finish 7th to qualify for that. 

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Chelsea needs to keep losing points. Especially against Low and midtable  teams.

Fulham to win or draw against Newcastle. Palace to win (atleast draw) against Chelsea. Spurs to lose against Arsenal and City.

Brighton to draw against Liverpool. Bournemouth to get something from Brentford. Forest to win against Leicester. Wolves to win against West Ham. 

Those are our best results to happen this week. 

Chelsea's remaining away fixtures: Liverpool, Man. United, Man. City, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, Bournemouth.

I don't see many away wins for them there at all in their current state. Could easily lose 4-5 of those games and I don't think they'll get much over 50 points this season. Of course could change if they sack Potter soon.

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea's remaining away fixtures: Liverpool, Man. United, Man. City, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, Bournemouth.

I don't see many away wins for them there at all in their current state. Could easily lose 4-5 of those games and I don't think they'll get much over 50 points this season. Of course could change if they sack Potter soon.

It’s easier for Chelsea to wake up than Fulham or Brighton to keep winning. For me we should reduce the gap between us and Newcastle (with whoever in between). Now it’s 10 with Newcastle (they have an important game against Fulham which hopefully Newcastle doesn’t win it). If we do that and take it week by week, we could see ourselves in a very good position to compete. We won’t be above all, but once we’re there, atleast we can have more chances to achieve something. And instead of waiting for one to lose we could do by one out of three. We need to take it seriously but without putting much pressure.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was obvious from Bournemouth on the first day of the season that it wasn't going to work. Even if it was a few weeks later than it should have been at least Nassef stepped in before it was too late, I don't have confidence Purslow would have made the call

Hopefully Emery has the time now to get us into a solid mid-table position ready to push-on for next season

Edited by david-avfc

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Fulham, Brentford and Brighton won't keep on winning forever so we should be targeting finishing above two of those and that will be 8th-9th.

Yep, they are 1-6 points ahead of us with 19 games to play. That has to be our aim to try and overtake those 3 and then we’ll see where we finish. 

• Like 1

This season is super frustrating.

Whenever we win the teams above us just seem to win.

I can't believe how poor Liverpool are this season, yes Brighton are a decent side but Liverpool haven't even turned up today.

Edited by AshVilla