Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently the ref has apologised for making a mistake for our Coutinho goal.

Wtf?!

Well that's good isn't it. Doesn't help us of course but at least he acknowledges he was wrong.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

maybe the manager was right then.....He seems a different player to me.....Tyrone is playing the football that got him in the England team.

sometimes a shake up, works.

Maybe. Think it's a high risk leadership strategy, though.

5 minutes ago, Podster said:

Gerrard had very little to do with it, he picked a team that half the people on this forum would have picked.

Even if the bold bit is true, you do see why the first bit is nonsense right?

I pick Haaland and Salah in my FPL teams every week too.

This is when people get to trying too hard.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Hopefully we've turned a corner and we'll see an improvement in results vs Leicester and Southampton and will be interesting to see how we approach those games given there will be an expectation for us to have more attacking intent.

b4c176f4e03db937e0e92178d32277e2.gif

Away from home we can set up like yesterday. But you can’t set up like that at home against teams around you. Would end up a dire 0-0 or the odd goal from a set piece.

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you watch it back, there really weren’t many chances where you thought “oh no, this is definitely a goal”. The Walker one looked offside to me, and then besides the actual goal that Haaland scored, everything else was under pressure from defenders and with Emi well placed to save.

Also, JJ’s chance when Watkins plays him through is listed as relatively low xG - that’s purely because of the heavy touch. Had he taken that pass properly it would have been an almost certain goal.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even if the bold bit is true, you do see why the first bit is nonsense right?

I pick Haaland and Salah in my FPL teams every week too.

This is when people get to trying too hard.

Its not nonsense. I cant believe that after getting a draw against a well below par Man City SG so many people have switched from sack to keep. All SG did was pick a team that should have picked itself 3 or 4 games back, he is still playing a woefully bad McGinn, he shouldnt even be on the bench let alone be captain, but SG's ego is ruling his head, that is a bad sign in someone who is still a newbie to management. Get rid now before we end up in a relegation battle.

Edited by Podster

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t remember there being too many big chances for them. Considering how good they are we stifled them quite well. 

On any other day with their stats (this and others) they would’ve beaten us.  We took our chance, rode our luck against quiet performance by them, we actually rose to the challenge and despite the xG we got the draw.  

It was a great result, against what we all expected before the match and I was proud of them but even a poor performance by them and a much better performance than a long time by us we were lucky by the stats.  They had more good chances to kill off the game, they should’ve done more in the first half when they totally dominated us.  Second half it was better by us.  

Gerrard gets credit for the draw and better performance but on another day or most days, even in second gear, those stats show they did enough to beat us.  We take the victory of the draw but changes nothing about my view of Gerrard.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If you watch it back, there really weren’t many chances where you thought “oh no, this is definitely a goal”. The Walker one looked offside to me, and then besides the actual goal that Haaland scored, everything else was under pressure from defenders and with Emi well placed to save.

Also, JJ’s chance when Watkins plays him through is listed as relatively low xG - that’s purely because of the heavy touch. Had he taken that pass properly it would have been an almost certain goal.

Plus the goal wasn’t a chance. It was a keeper error. He lost his bearings.

Anyway back on topic, Credit where credit due to Gerrard.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

On any other day with their stats (this and others) they would’ve beaten us.  We took our chance, rode our luck against quiet performance by them, we actually rose to the challenge and despite the xG we got the draw.  

It was a great result, against what we all expected before the match and I was proud of them but even a poor performance by them and a much better performance than a long time by us we were lucky by the stats.  They had more good chances to kill off the game, they should’ve done more in the first half when they totally dominated us.  Second half it was better by us.  

Gerrard gets credit for the draw and better performance but on another day or most days, even in second gear, those stats show they did enough to beat us.  We take the victory of the draw but changes nothing about my view of Gerrard.

The only team that’s done better vs City on xG this season is Newcastle (marginally). It was a good performance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think there was a lot of almost with them which on any other day they would’ve done better with.  I just rewatched the highlights for the third time and things they normally do they didn’t either though a simple assist or a better shot.  Gerrard has to take the confidence from it and really push it into the players.

It was kind of going back to Gerrard first view games in which he made us look harder to beat and fairly organised (with less width). Every time we seem to have games in which we have a lot of possession we don't seem to know what to do with it.  Southampton for example will be a totally different game.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s fair. City will do that to most teams though. Only way to ever get a result against them is a smash and grab along with a bit of luck. 

I agree Gerrard needs to prove his worth in games we should be winning. Not games we expect to lose and pull off the odd upset. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s fair. City will do that to most teams though. Only way to ever get a result against them is a smash and grab along with a bit of luck. 

I agree Gerrard needs to prove his worth in games we should be winning. Not games we expect to lose. 

Yep, it seems the way.  We generally play better against the best teams but still lose, so it was nice to get a draw yesterday against the stats but we struggle against the mid teams to put in similar performances, Gerrard needs to change that and we have to see it in the next two games for him to have any hope of saving his job.

Edited by nick76

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t remember there being too many big chances for them. Considering how good they are we stifled them quite well. 

Yeah I said to my Dad afterwards that City never carved us open like we were expecting. They had a couple of decent chances, but Martinez easily saved the ones they had. For us Ramsey should have done better on his 1v1 and Bailey had a decent chance that he put wide before he scored, and Coutinho was inches away from tucking in a late cross, and that is before you ignore the perfectly legit effort that was ruled out by the same lino who was hesitant with his flag in the first half for Kyle Walker’s effort.

I would say we were good value for our point, even pretty unlucky not to come away with a victory.

• Like 1

Â