Birmingham's Music Scenes

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Jeez there's some cack in here.

No one mentioned Sabbath?

Although I'd go for these:

Been trying to avoid the obvious Sabbath, ELO, Duran, UB40, Judas Priest, Steve Windwood and Roy Wood incarnations. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but noses, innit? 

Well they aren't die hards exactly, not sure Roy even likes football. I know Ozzy doesn't.

I even saw Roy on TOTP with claret and blue hair. A real "matey-mate-mate" wouldn't do that.

• Haha 1

Just now, rjw63 said:

Well they aren't die hards exactly, not sure Roy even likes football. I know Ozzy doesn't.

I even saw Roy on TOTP with claret and blue hair. A real "matey-mate-mate" wouldn't do that.

Yeah, it's mainly Jeff Lynne who's the small heathen. 

• Like 1

Can't talk about Birmingham's music scenes without mentioning Mothers Nightclub in Erdington

Mothers (music venue) - Wikipedia

Mothers was voted the number one rock venue in the world by America's Billboard magazine. John Peel, a regular DJ at the club, was quoted as saying: "People are amazed to hear that for a few years the best club in Britain was in Erdington."[2]

Some of the other well-known rock bands and artists to play Mothers include: Family, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Eclection, Edgar Broughton Band, Free, Roy Harper, Blodwyn Pig, Strawbs, Quintessence, Steppenwolf, the Deviants, Jethro Tull, Jon Hiseman's Colosseum, Skid Row (with Gary Moore), the Nice, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Elton John, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, The Chicago Transit Authority, Moby Grape, Canned Heat (there is a reference to the club in the sleeve notes of their 1969 compilation Canned Heat Cookbook) and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.[2]

I lived next door to it a few years ago, every now and again the church would have little days in honour of it where they'd have memorabilia and record fares and shit like that.

Also earlier on someone mentioned The Twang, an old pal of mine somehow ended up in the background of one of their music videos, he was DJing somewhere and got chatting to the band and ended up following them around for a few days.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was waiting for "music scene" to slowly move away from bands and on to venues 

Brum has some great ones IMO and then surely all of us know the sunflower lounge, flapper and snobs etc it's a great city for that side of it

For me it was the Hummingbird, the Carling Academy, The Institute and of course Edwards No.8 - all great venues for music 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Risso said:

Thanks, never heard that before. Just reading up on the band and the lead singer died a couple of month ago. :( 

Love that video and the song. Hysterical. Sad to hear of singer. 

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Jeez there's some cack in here.

No one mentioned Sabbath?

Although I'd go for these:

So influential. 

Can’t remember who mentioned Broadcast, but that’s a complete revelation to me. Never heard of them when I lived in England, and sitting here devastated that they’re already something from the past. Brilliant music. Unbelievable. Magic. 

• Like 1

I see that Broadcast did chart at one point here in the States in the early naughts, but I was living in London then and trying write books and stuff. Wish I hadn't missed them. I probably could have seen them on tour. 😐 Definitely glad to learn about them.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

I think one of the problems with Brum is actually the lack of live music venues.  They seem to get closed down too easily. The Flapper very nearly went and I suspect still will go eventually. The Rainbow had issues too. The Fiddle and Bone was closed for years. The Mermaid and Barrel Organ are long gone as is The Jug of Ale. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think one of the problems with Brum is actually the lack of live music venues.  They seem to get closed down too easily. The Flapper very nearly went and I suspect still will go eventually. The Rainbow had issues too. The Fiddle and Bone was closed for years. The Mermaid and Barrel Organ are long gone as is The Jug of Ale. 

Its the obsession with developers building flats nearby and then the residents moaning about the noise. Frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In terms of music venues, the Medicine Bar at the Custard Factory was decent back in the day. Saw the Scissor Sisters there. 

Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath is an iconic venue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Xela said:

Its the obsession with developers building flats nearby and then the residents moaning about the noise. Frustrating. 

It ought to be a non starter to complain about noise from music venues which were there before the houses were built.  It's a disgrace. Not to mention what knobbers the complainers are.  You buy a flat in the middle of the City Centre because you want to be in the heart of it all and then you campaign to get all the nightlife closed down so now you're in the heart of a wasteland. clearings in the woods. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

In terms of music venues, the Medicine Bar at the Custard Factory was decent back in the day. Saw the Scissor Sisters there. 

Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath is an iconic venue. 

Lots of golden posts here. Just can't get enough of this stuff. Thank you for all these great details.

• Thanks 1

Â