Birmingham's Music Scenes

Marka Ragnos

9 hours ago, Risso said:

That's when I left Brum too. As well as the places you mention, there was also Edwards No.8.

How could I forget Edwards No.8? I got a sound beating from the bouncers there and ended up in A&E, got blood all over my velvet jacket that was dry cleaned by Pete 'Doom' Nash's sister who was a friend of mine. (could that be a real naff claim to fame?)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

_127290453_crown.jpg.webp.303ad7fbde80240a43bdc0a76aec0bb3.webp

A Birmingham pub where Black Sabbath played their first gig is to be restored as a live music venue after years of closure.

In its heyday, The Crown in the city centre also hosted other local acts that would go on to become household names, including Led Zeppelin and UB40.

The project is led by arts organisation Birmingham Open Media (BOM).

Under plans, the revived venue would also become a digital hub for the community, BOM said.

The Crown, built in 1881, shut down in 2014 after it was bought by a Japanese development company, remaining derelict ever since.

The Local Democracy Reporting Service said the project for the site opposite New Street Station won the blessing of Birmingham City Council - which would work in partnership with not-for-profit BOM - in September, although no timeline was given for the venue's opening.

BBC

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

BBC

"From the early 70s to the 80s, it was arguably one of the most important venues historically, not just in the UK but globally," he said.

This claim is hilarious, talk about over egging the pudding :D

Put it like this, as someone who grew up in the late 70s and early 80s in Brum and actively went to a lot of gigs. I never went there once

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

This claim is hilarious, talk about over egging the pudding :D

Put it like this, as someone who grew up in the late 70s and early 80s in Brum and actively went to a lot of gigs. I never went there once

Reckon it's more @veloman's era..?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Reckon it's more @veloman's era..?

Indeed it was ! Lots of great bands played there - perhaps mainly local. but IIRC Spencer Davis played there quite a bit. I'm trying to remember if that was the pub that morph

ed into "Henry's Blues House".  I would loved to have played there but we probably ween't good enough !!! Probably more late 60's I think.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, veloman said:

I'm trying to remember if that was the pub that morph

ed into "Henry's Blues House".

It was, Sabbath's First Gig was a Henry's Blueshouse night and they played there prior to that as Earth

• Like 1

Legendary Brummie rocker Steve Gibbons is set to be awarded a well-deserved star on the Birmingham Walk of Stars, joining his rock’n’roll stablemates Black Sabbath, Noddy Holder, Roy Wood, Bev Bevan, Jeff Lynne, Carl Palmer, John Lodge, Steel Pulse and UB40.

The presentation will take place on Sunday 6th November at the weekly live music event Birmingham Rocks, held at Velvet Music Rooms on Broad Street, and will be made by The Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Councillor Maureen Cornish.

The presentation will be followed by a live performance of Steve Gibbons on stage, accompanied by the Steve Gibbons Band of Johnny Caswell on guitar, Simon Smith on bass guitar and Howard Smith on drums.

Birmingham Press

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac. Brought up in Birmingham, started her music career here as well. RIP..

" Christine Anne McVie (née Perfect; 12 July 1943 – 30 November 2022)[1][2][3][4] was an English musician, and the vocalist[5] and keyboardist of Fleetwood Mac, which she joined in 1970.[6] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_McVie

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

This thread being bumped reminded me I spotted this today and thought it might interest some here

Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West-Midlands.jp

Cherry Red

It really was a golden time for the Birmingham Music scene wasn't it. That would be an impressive line up for anywhere to boast of. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

World of Oz are in rather more famous company there. 

And Slade are a stretch. 

I think they got round it with West Midlands but then highlighted Brum rock. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

World of Oz are in rather more famous company there. 

And Slade are a stretch. 

It's a 3 CD compilation, there are lots more on there. I'd be interested to know which ones you've heard of. It's not my era so an awful lot of them mean nothing to me.

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a 3 CD compilation, there are lots more on there. I'd be interested to know which ones you've heard of. It's not my era so an awful lot of them mean nothing to me.

1    Daughter of the Sun - The Ace Kefford Stand  YES
2    Roundabout - The Montanas NO
3    Like a Tear - The World of Oz YES
4    Don't Torture Your Mind - The Exception NO
5    Masochists of Strangulation - Jardine NO
6    Boredom - Tea and Symphony YES
7    The Journey - Gordon Jackson NO
8    Big Bear Ffolly - Bakerloo YES
9    Candy - Cinnamon Quill NO
10    Like Uncle Charlie - Climax Blues Band YES
11    Imaginations - Revolver NO
12    You've Got Your Troubles - The Californians NO
13    His Guiding Hand (Single Version) - Medicine Head YES 
14    Goodbye Mary - Paradox NO
15    A Modern Day Fairy Tale - Galliard NO
16    It's a Hard Way - Cathedral NO
17    Suicide - Trapeze YES 
18    Dance in the Smoke - Kansas Hook NO
19    Ballad of Marmalade Emma and Teddy Grimes - Hard Meat YES 
20    Donna - Bachdenkel NO
21    When You're Dead - The Ghost NO
22    Time of the Season - Big Bertha YES

1    She Said Yes - Fable NO
2    Lamp Lighter Man - Mike Sheridan & Rick Price YES
3    One Way Hotel - Slade YES
4    We're Gonna Change All This - Fred's Box NO
5    Reminiscing - Luv Machine NO
6    People - Salamander NO
7    Brown Girl - Steve Gibbons YES
8    Ill Wind - Dave Morgan NO
9    Shadow Bright - Ptolomy Psycon NO
10    Omnibus - Mail NO
11    Disheartened and Disillusioned - Possessed NO
12    Talking Progressive Blues - Jimmy Powell YES
13    Eve - Jim Capaldi YES
14    Dear Elaine - Roy Wood YES 
15    Ball Park Incident - Wizzard YES
16    Roll Over Beethoven (Album Version) - Electric Light Orchestra YES
17    Circus - Fairfield Ski NO
18    Just a Day - Ironbridge NO
19    The Beast (2021 Remix) - Bedlam YES
20    Rocka Rolla - Judas Priest YES
21    Bye Bye Birmingham - Blackfoot Sue YES 

• Thanks 1

I know most of those bands and have vague connections with a couple. Big Bertha and Bedlam contained Dave Ball who I played with in the 60's(also one Cozy Powell who was somewhat better than me !!)  Exception were B/ham's answer to Cream - brilliant band - cult record "The Eagle Flys On Friday" Think Dave Pegg was bassist. Montanas were a really good 'cabaret band' from Wolverhampton. A couple of 'em became cabaret acts when they split ; Ian Sludge Lees being one - died last yeat I think. I backed him a few times - great act IMO. Californians  - again from Wolverhampton - Beach Boys type band with great harmonies (what ever happened to harmony). Galliard grew out of a band called The King Bees - B/ham Mod band which featured a Bloke called Carl Palmer ! They had appeared at The Cavern the week before we played there and the Medallion Man DJ there was keen to tell us how good they were and were we that good ?? (answer - NO) Bakerloo - featured Clem Clempson who some might know. This was my era - hence  - very old.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
Â