Birmingham's Music Scenes

Marka Ragnos

On 19/10/2023 at 16:26, sidcow said:

Video has some images of Villa Park.........and another place though

Mist is my one of my pals best buddies. We went up Birmingham a while back with him, real name Rhys Thomas, an his crew. Had £200 on me thought would be a expensive night, came back with £200, didn't spend a penny, VIP everywhere, living the dream. Really got a sniff how you live if you have big money. They all stayed in the Hyatt after, late bar, women, I bottled it, an went home about 1600, one to remember though.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Xann said:

432210713_10229160405907914_1385013057859569544_n.thumb.jpg.f5105b3d82effac15227d683e2b501b7.jpg

Haha. My mate was in Omnia Opera. There's an outside chance I might even have been there, but probably not as they were a bit weird. My least favourite band he was in. 

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

1987 and there are atleast two bands on there you could still go and watch this month.

Dunno about this month but there’s still quite a few active bands on there, Ozrics, Here and Now, UK Subs (despite Charlie Harper being 125 x still doing festivals), Blythe Power, Macc Lads and I think Oi Polloi are still going too.

So the punks and the hippies :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xann said:

Saturday 16th May had a pretty epic Thrash/Punk lineup, you're getting value for your £2 there.

The amount of times I had to follow those bands at the early doors thrash gig with a students Indie Schmindie night on a Friday at Planet X …. Turn up early, watch the devastation and have absolutely nothing to play to them :D 

Gaye Bikers on Acid or Thatcher on Acid. Not sure what is more scary ;) 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Dunno about this month but there’s still quite a few active bands on there, Ozrics, Here and Now, UK Subs (despite Charlie Harper being 125 x still doing festivals), Blythe Power, Macc Lads and I think Oi Polloi are still going too.

So the punks and the hippies :D 

I was just looking at Omnia Opera and they still have a website and a fairly recently updated Facebook page. Looks like my mate didn't join till 1988 though. 

Edited by sidcow

• 2 weeks later...

A list of music shops in Birmingham from the 1970s. Ringway is where "Ozzy Zig" put up his notice as a singer looking for gigs. Tommy Iommi answered. And the rest is ...

BIRMINGHAM MUSICAL DEALERS.
Accordion Depot (The), 1 Stafford st 4
Aisco-Techniques, 68 Hurst st'B5TD
Birmingham Band Instrument Co.219 Lichfield rd 6
Biimimgihaim Guitar Centae, 76 Bristol st s 5
Bliss Mrs. Nora, 38 Park rd 6
Burden H. R. 1547 PeTshore rd 30
Clay George Music Co. (Birmingham)Ltd. 285/286 Broad st 1
Cleartone Musical Instruments Ltd,28 Lower Severn st 1; & 27 Legge lane Bl 3LD
Dunn S. 14 Nineveh rd B21 0TU
Green, Geo. 280 'Stratford rd 11
Green Lane Music, 372 Green la B9 5DT
Hobday's, 4 Poplar rd B14 7IAD & 4 Oak Tree lane B29 6HX
Jones & Crossland Ltd, 6 Smallbrook Queensway B5 4BN
Ladbrooke Vincent (Music) Ltd. 32 Bristol st 5
Levy Arth. 589 Stratford rd 11
Music'Box, 250 High si B23 6SN
Pass James & Go Ltd, 216 'Corporation st B4 6QB
Ringway Music (Birmingham) Ltd. 12 & 16 Moor st 4
Sutliffe Roland G. 399 Lodge rd 18
Westworth Kay 17 Cannon St 2
Woodroffes ('Musical Instruments) Ltd, 119 John Bright st 1
Yardleys (Birmingham) Ltd. 89A, Snow hill 4.

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

A list of music shops in Birmingham from the 1970s. Ringway is where "Ozzy Zig" put up his notice as a singer looking for gigs. Tommy Iommi answered. And the rest is ...

Hobday's was my record shop. I walked down Poplar Rd recently and tried to remember which shop is was but couldn't quite put my finger on it. 

Number 4 then. I'm in King's Heath next week to see a Blondie tribute at The Hare and Hounds.  I'll try to make a detour. 

I'm surprised Andy Cash Records isn't on there. Big Villa connection. Never went in but drove past it many times, usually on the way to Villa games from my girlfriends (now Mrs Sidcow) parents house. 

Also surprised Don Christine's is missing. Absolute essential for any fan of Reggae.  

• Thanks 1

Birmingham should get a heavy media presence again next week courtesy of Steven Knight and a BBC TV series about the Ska Revival/Two Tone scene 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-birmingham-68601398

Stars hit red carpet for This Town premiere

Trailer gives a taste of what's to come

That's it for our live coverage of the This Town premiere - if you want a taste of what is to come, the trailer is available to watch through BBC iPlayer.

We should give you a bit of a warning about some of the language, though.

The series launches on Easter Sunday - on iPlayer from 06:00 or on BBC1 at 21:00 BST.

What is This Town?

This Town is a six-part BBC drama series created by screenwriter Steven Knight - best known for creating Peaky Blinders.

It is set in the Midlands during the 1980s and follows the start of two-tone and ska music.

The series tells the story of a band's formation set against a backdrop of violence as the music scene explodes.

"It's about an era I lived through and know well and it involves characters who I feel I grew up with," Knight says.

Â