Birmingham's Music Scenes

Marka Ragnos

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Editors we’re brilliant, but I think only the bass player was from brum, though they all met in Brum. When he left, they lost something. Loudest gig I’ve ever been to, them, due to, I’d imagine a mixing desk f up at Preston guild hall. Painfull.

Met at brum uni didn't they? And started in the city

I'm not having the enemy, had too many "shit on the villa" chants at their gigs from weirdo cov fans but they were thr height of £8 gig tickets at places like the barfly, felt like I saw them play somewhere in brum every other week

• Like 1

Re Editors, they actually went to Stafford University but were based in Birmingham at the time and did their early gigs in Brum. 

Russell Leetch is from Solihull. Tom Smith is from Stroud and Chris Urbanowicz is from Nottingham. Not sure about Ed Lays or the new guys in the band.

It’s down to one’s interpretation but to me that makes them a Birmingham band. I think the band consider themselves as such.

It was the guitarist, Urbanowicz that left after the third album. Either coincidentally or due to the new direction they were moving in, my interest waned at that point. 

For a few years I was convinced that Editors were going to be either a huge band in the vein of REM or prove to be more of a “cool” cult band like Velvet Undergrand or someone. And it was going to be great because they were a local band and I was in on the ground floor (well, first floor).

Didn’t really work out either way. But for the first couple of records my belief meant I was trying to collect as much as I could, every single and it’s various versions with different b-sides. I have one limited edition vinyl of two album track demos numbered “0001” which I’ve never been sure if that means I was just lucky or that no one else bothered to buy one.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mention for Misty’s Big Adventure.

Thanks, never heard that before. Just reading up on the band and the lead singer died a couple of month ago. :( 

• Sad 2

Stephen Anthony James Duffy (born 30 May 1960 in Alum Rock, Birmingham, England) is an English musician, singer and songwriter. He was a founding member, vocalist, bassist and then drummer of Duran Duran. He went on to record as a solo performer under several different names, and is the singer and songwriter for The Lilac Time with his older brother Nick. 

Wiki

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Blimey I never thought MJM would be posting about 80's acts. 

Obviously best known for this one but had a sprinkling of other hits, but must kick himself about Duran Duran. 

Less said about the 85 remix the better 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Don't know why you can't get the full Geno video on YouTube. 

Obviously the song has Villa connections but also the video shot around Brum including another sadly lost building, the cafe in John Bright Street were you'd get your chips after departing Edwards/Boogies/Paramount/Sam Wellers. 

Also love the glimpse of The Rotunda in the puddle. The Director must have been well pleased with himself that night. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

Thanks, never heard that before. Just reading up on the band and the lead singer died a couple of month ago. :( 

****, I had no idea :(

I haven’t got much by them, just “The Black Hole”.

I first saw them supporting The Magic Numbers and they made a big enough impression on me to see them at the The Little Civic in Wolverhampton. Quite a small venue, there were three support acts, if you added all the members of each of the four bands together they possibly equalled the audience numbers. 

It was a bloody good gig and that album is worth a listen, a bit mad with just a bit of bite to it. I think it was @Seat68 who linked one of their more recent songs in one of the music threads and that sounded good too.

• Like 1

Martin Degville from Walsall but essentially a big part of the Birmingham scene.  It featured heavily in the greatest film ever made, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, so I'm putting this down as a cultural phenomenon though it's obviously an awful awful "song" 

Edited by sidcow
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s down to one’s interpretation but to me that makes them a Birmingham band. I think the band consider themselves as such.

Yeah, according to their Wikipedia entry they have stated that Birmingham is very important to them and they consider it the bands home. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Blimey I never thought MJM would be posting about 80's acts. 

Only for the Villa connection. 

I actually bought a Lilac Time compilation, out of curiosity. Conclusion? It's a pity the name 'Wet Wet Wet' had already been taken... 

• Haha 2

Â