Birmingham's Music Scenes

Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Forgot Scruffy Murphy's!!! How could I??!?

I think you will find that is actually The Pen and Wig was also the place where I became the master of The Silver Shadow. 

• Like 2

Tap and Spile :)

Great karaoke venue and used to the be the last pub open at night. Was it a 6am licence? Not been in since the change of management so not sure if its still the same. 

I've belted out November Rain and Sweet Child o' Mine a few times in there! :D 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Great karaoke venue and used to the be the last pub open at night. Was it a 6am licence? Not been in since the change of management so not sure if its still the same. 

Yeah, I've been known to rock the Mic there.  Wouldn't sing any of that shit though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I've been known to rock the Mic there.  Wouldn't sing any of that shit though. 

Listen, i'm sure you do a great "I'm Too Sexy" and "Deeply Dippy", but my air guitar on Guns n Roses is what makes it special! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another historic venue was the Rum Rummer club on Broad Street. Where Duran Duran were formed. Nick Rhodes worked as a DJ there and John Taylor was a bouncer! Was at the forefront of the New Wave scene in the UK. Boy George was a regular there when he lived in Walsall in his late teenage years. 

They used to have practice rooms there and Rhodes said once, when Duran were in one room, Dexys Midnight Runners were in a room one side of them, and UB40 on the other side. 

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Another historic venue was the Rum Rummer club on Broad Street. Where Duran Duran were formed. Nick Rhodes worked as a DJ there and John Taylor was a bouncer! Was at the forefront of the New Wave scene in the UK. Boy George was a regular there when he lived in Walsall in his late teenage years. 

They used to have practice rooms there and Rhodes said once, when Duran were in one room, Dexys Midnight Runners were in a room one side of them, and UB40 on the other side. 

And The Beat filmed the video for Mirror in The Bathroom in....... ..... The bathroom 

• Like 1

There's this sort of stupid urban legend about who the first three punks in Birmingham were. First was Robert Lloyd (I'll come back to him in a later post though The Nightingales have already been mentioned briefly), second was Boy George (as mentioned by Xela above) and third was an oddball by the name of Lawrence (Hayward but he never used his surname)

Lawrence formed his first band Felt in 1979 and they lasted all the way through the 80s until they split at the end of the decade. They kind up invented Jangle Pop way before that scene became a thing. Their first album, Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty is a relatively short thing but its almost perfect and this is the first of it's 6 tracks.

Spoiler

They were quite the darlings of the music press for that decade and I guess their biggest "hit" came with Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins guesting on vocals on Primitive Painter from their 4th album Ignite the Seven Canons and album Lawrence wasn't ever happy with, it was produced by Fraser's fellow Cocteau Twin and husband Robin Guthrie. It's typical LAwrence to be like that, the album was perfect but he dicked about with it and rereleased a second version.

Spoiler

The band eventually split after ten years having released ten albums and ten singles. Lawrence has claimed this was always the plan (he's lying!)

Next band on the Lawrence trail was Denim, a complete change of direction, Denim were influenced by Bubblegum Pop and Glam Rock, they released two albums proper. But again commercial success eluded Lawrance and they eventually split but here's one Mike will agree with. I'm against the 80s from the first Denim album

Spoiler

So again Lawrence moves on to his now still current project Go-Cart Mozart, though he has recently just changed the name to Go-Kart Estate. It really is a continuation of Denim but was originally just a side project of Denim. There are lots of Birmingham references throughout and he's much more humourous these days (intentional or not), This one is called Mickie Made the Most but it also references Gary Shaw and the Villa

Spoiler

Lawrence also co-wrote this with Shampoo. Blisters and Bruises

Spoiler

Birmingham's (via Water Orton) finest musical oddball. He should have had more success than he's had

He's convinced he'll have a Number One album at some point. he deserves it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Xela said:

I haven't been to the Tap & Spile in years.  That place was (still is?) great.  I remember the manager walking around giving out free pizza slices to everyone :D

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 20:30, Marka Ragnos said:

Birmingham's Music Scenes past and present.  Who are some of your favorites, past and present?

As an outsider looking in, to me Birmingham seems uncommonly blessed with an incredible music history. I'm just obsessed with certain parts of it I know. I don't know why exactly. The whole two-tone thing is the best. Just can't get enough. 

There are so many names I've heard of and love (Dave Wakeling is a favorite of mine), but many are surprises to me. 

The more obscure the better, even if they're unsigned or pub covers bands and DJs, etc. -- I don't care.  Feel free to expand it out to West Midlands. If you have links to videos, I'd like to see.  

The late Tony DeVit is my third cousin, actually. Sadly died before I met him. 

Hiya Mark, we maybe need to have a chat at some point as I grew up with Tony and still DJ in clubs to this day. I have many stories to tell and am still in contact now with his Brother Andy. Will PM you if you like?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Hiya Mark, we maybe need to have a chat at some point as I grew up with Tony and still DJ in clubs to this day. I have many stories to tell and am still in contact now with his Brother Andy. Will PM you if you like?

Absolutely. We have the same great-great grandfather Charles A. DeVit — an immigrant to the Midlands from Alsace. I will PM you! 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 01:00, bickster said:

There's this sort of stupid urban legend about who the first three punks in Birmingham were. First was Robert Lloyd (I'll come back to him in a later post though The Nightingales have already been mentioned briefly), second was Boy George (as mentioned by Xela above) and third was an oddball by the name of Lawrence (Hayward but he never used his surname)

Lawrence formed his first band Felt in 1979 and they lasted all the way through the 80s until they split at the end of the decade. They kind up invented Jangle Pop way before that scene became a thing. Their first album, Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty is a relatively short thing but its almost perfect and this is the first of it's 6 tracks.

Hide contents

They were quite the darlings of the music press for that decade and I guess their biggest "hit" came with Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins guesting on vocals on Primitive Painter from their 4th album Ignite the Seven Canons and album Lawrence wasn't ever happy with, it was produced by Fraser's fellow Cocteau Twin and husband Robin Guthrie. It's typical LAwrence to be like that, the album was perfect but he dicked about with it and rereleased a second version.

Reveal hidden contents

The band eventually split after ten years having released ten albums and ten singles. Lawrence has claimed this was always the plan (he's lying!)

Next band on the Lawrence trail was Denim, a complete change of direction, Denim were influenced by Bubblegum Pop and Glam Rock, they released two albums proper. But again commercial success eluded Lawrance and they eventually split but here's one Mike will agree with. I'm against the 80s from the first Denim album

Reveal hidden contents

So again Lawrence moves on to his now still current project Go-Cart Mozart, though he has recently just changed the name to Go-Kart Estate. It really is a continuation of Denim but was originally just a side project of Denim. There are lots of Birmingham references throughout and he's much more humourous these days (intentional or not), This one is called Mickie Made the Most but it also references Gary Shaw and the Villa

Reveal hidden contents

Lawrence also co-wrote this with Shampoo. Blisters and Bruises

Reveal hidden contents

Birmingham's (via Water Orton) finest musical oddball. He should have had more success than he's had

He's convinced he'll have a Number One album at some point. he deserves it.

Top post that Bicks, I bloody love Felt (you're probably not surprised to hear).

• Thanks 1

On 28/08/2022 at 08:10, danceoftheshamen said:

Did you ever meet Fergie? It was De Vit who tutored him and help kickstart his career. 

I remember being out in Wobble and a good friend of mine at the time (we’ve lost contact over the years) brought over someone he knew to introduce them. The person in question was Fergie. If I remember correctly, he was still just playing warm up sets in one or two places at the time. 

I followed his career for a while, but eventually became out of touch as I got older and more detached from the scene in general. It was this April that I suddenly became reminded of him. I was strolling along the Vegas strip and saw Fergie’s face and name up in lights to promote his residency at Hakkasan nightclub. What a career he ended up having. 

• Like 2

Â