The Dressing Room

Tayls

44 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Really? Another thread to hash out more theories about Gerrard and co. 

Was hoping it was an interior design thread 😉 

Yeah, it’s all a bit one dimensional currently. 

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

But let’s take Konsa for example. Less than 1 year ago we were worried that he would be snapped up by the likes of Liverpool, and that he should be playing for England - even ahead of Mings at one point. He signed a new contact which, let’s face it, means he is earning more money. His job is to defend; track the runs of strikers and put his body on the line to prevent us conceding. Whilst it’s the overall system that the new coaching team will be looking to change, surely that shouldn’t impact on his overall ability to defend? He looks lost, and he isn’t doing the basics. So what has happened which means he cannot fulfil a fundamental part of his role in line with the salary he is earning to do just that.

Perhaps its the coaching part for him? I can imagine Smith and Terry being very focal about good performances and good parts of his game whereas I get the impression that Gerrard et all aren't really about that.

I also think he might be one of the players Martinez was talking about during his interview when he mentioned players are very different in empty/full stadiums. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

For me its no surprise the wheels have came off his managerial reign after how he treated Targett. He was a popular player and players player of the season and then dismissed immediately when Digne came in. We have been shit since then except the one week we won 3 games.

Not to mention his sniping of players and saying he would be looking to replace them after losses last season. Prerty sure they are starting weekly unless Douglas Luiz was the shit player  he kept referring too

Targett wasn't treated improperly. 

Matt Targett was a wetwipe who early days in his Villa career was bordering on feigning injury rather have to do the hard graft. Never seen a player benefit from no crowds as much as him. 

Guy came back from pre-season 2021 overweight and unmotivated, got a free pass due to having no competition and then the second some comes in he s**t the bed and requested a move. 

Absolute sack of wine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Targett wasn't treated improperly. 

Matt Targett was a wetwipe who early days in his Villa career was bordering on feigning injury rather have to do the hard graft. Never seen a player benefit from no crowds as much as him. 

Guy came back from pre-season 2021 overweight and unmotivated, got a free pass due to having no competition and then the second some comes in he s**t the bed and requested a move. 

Absolute sack of wine. 

Why he is performing very well in front of a larger fanbase? He also got injured in preseason 2021 but you know dont let that effect your agenda

Targett was treated like shit by a shit manager

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why he is performing very well in front of a larger fanbase? He also got injured in preseason 2021 but you know dont let that effect your agenda

Targett was treated like shit by a shit manager

Because he isn't. 0 goals, 0 assists and decidedly average numbers. 

As for agendas, your one against our manager stinks so don't make me laugh. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

eh he is a left back his job is to defend

as for an agenda against a manager, thats bullshit as we dont have a manager just an unqualified charlatan on the sideline

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

But let’s take Konsa for example. Less than 1 year ago we were worried that he would be snapped up by the likes of Liverpool, and that he should be playing for England - even ahead of Mings at one point. He signed a new contact which, let’s face it, means he is earning more money. His job is to defend; track the runs of strikers and put his body on the line to prevent us conceding. Whilst it’s the overall system that the new coaching team will be looking to change, surely that shouldn’t impact on his overall ability to defend? He looks lost, and he isn’t doing the basics. So what has happened which means he cannot fulfil a fundamental part of his role in line with the salary he is earning to do just that.

Players can just go out of form. It happens to everyone for a multitude of reasons. It could also be that the system changed and that defenders suddenly face different situations that they aren't as good at handling.

Small things can sometimes make a big difference where a defender suddenly suffers more because an attacker gets a few more yards to build speed because our midfield press is lacking, to just grab a made up example from thin air. I believe the performance analysts at the club are tasked with finding stuff like that and possibly also suggest remedies. 

So yes, stuff like that could quite drastically change his ability to defend if he suddenly is faced with situations that draws upon usage of his weaker sides to solve. At this level, it doesn't take much.

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think I'd take 0 goals and assists and helping be part of a solid improving team that what we are currently getting from Digne. 

I don't think it helps the way we set up and ask him to play but goals and assists aren't the priority for a full back IMO.

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think I'd take 0 goals and assists and helping be part of a solid improving team that what we are currently getting from Digne. 

I don't think it helps the way we set up and ask him to play but goals and assists aren't the priority for a full back IMO.

I think this was one of the main issues with Targett for Gerrard. His system requires goals and assists from fullbacks. (If you can call what we're seeing a system at the mo...)

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I think this was one of the main issues with Targett for Gerrard. His system requires goals and assists from fullbacks. (If you can call what we're seeing a system at the mo...)

Yep, and I think that's part of the issue. 

Great if they can contribute but if they're weak defensively and also our main attacking width option it leads to what we are currently seeing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

For me its no surprise the wheels have came off his managerial reign after how he treated Targett. He was a popular player and players player of the season and then dismissed immediately when Digne came in. We have been shit since then except the one week we won 3 games.

Not to mention his sniping of players and saying he would be looking to replace them after losses last season. Prerty sure they are starting weekly unless Douglas Luiz was the shit player  he kept referring too

I don't think many of us had a problem with him replacing the struggling Targett with the well regarded French international Digne. 

I look forward to Digne improving when the new manager comes in.

Some of these players have been hiding behind the manager for far too long. I remember the first thing SG talked about when he arrived. "We want to make it an excuse free environment". Even from the outside looking in, he could see certain players not giving the effort that is required of them to win football matches. 

It's like the players are happy for the manager to take the blame. The same way they threw Deano under the bus. I remember that last game for Deano at Southampton, the players knew he was on thin ice, but where was the fight? Where was the self - belief? Mat Targett when interviewed after the game said, "it just wasn't enough". No truer words were spoken. Yet here we are today and still it isn't enough. You can blame tactics, man - management skills, or lack of, however, if a player is not prepared to give everything he has for 90 minutes of a football match then that is on nobody but the player himself. Matty Cash waving his arms about like it's everyone's fault, bar his. John McGinn falling to sleep in the opposition's six - yard box. A total lack of self - belief. "We were bullied" was the main excuse given as the cause of our defeat. You only get bullied if you allow yourself to be bullied. That's just weakness in too many individuals. 

That has nothing to do with coaching. You can vividly see the despair in the manager's face at having to explain such an inept performance. Like he said, it's a setback, but I feel, he knows it's more than that and there's no getting away from the fact that he has an awful battle on his hands in trying to steer this club towards even a modicum of success. 

I remember when we beat Arsenal at their place under Smithy (One of those 1 in 20 stellar performances of ours), the Arsenal fans were baying for  the blood of Arteta, and I, for one, didn't see him lasting. After all, what qualifications did he have to be in charge of such a big club? A couple of seasons later, having got rid of all that deadwood, and Arsenal don't look a bad side at all. Just a bit of food for thought. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steero113 said:

0 goals 0 assists, the Wikipedia assessment of a… left back 🙄

• Like 1

@sheepyvillianI thought the mentality looked strong actually in that Southampton game. We just played badly. But the players (with a couple of exceptions) looked genuinely gutted they had lost and got Smith sacked.

This Gerrard situation is looking much more like the latter stage of Bruce’s time here… or even someone like Garde.

When the dressing room turns, the out of favour players are just counting down the days, and the whole level drops. This is why I think Gerrard has made a big mistake not rewarding performances, and not being a bit smarter about the personalities and team dynamic. 

• Like 3

Â