The Dressing Room

Tayls

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

@sheepyvillianI thought the mentality looked strong actually in that Southampton game. We just played badly. But the players (with a couple of exceptions) looked genuinely gutted they had lost and got Smith sacked.

This Gerrard situation is looking much more like the latter stage of Bruce’s time here… or even someone like Garde.

When the dressing room turns, the out of favour players are just counting down the days, and the whole level drops. This is why I think Gerrard has made a big mistake not rewarding performances, and not being a bit smarter about the personalities and team dynamic. 

I don't see it that way. We conceded very early in that Southampton game, a habit that still consists today. The players are weak, mentally, that as been proven over and over again and until we find players who are prepared to fight from the first minute until the last, then, I'm afraid, these problems are here to stay. Attitude and application should not have to be questioned. These players should be giving their all every time they pull on that shirt, and if that is not the case, then send them on their way.

• Like 1

We've gone from a manager who seemingly would do anything for the players and was all about creating a good atmosphere and man management, to the nearly opposite. It would not surprise me at all if there are many players that just aren't happy atm. Dean Smith seemed to easy going imo, whereas Gerrard is probably to up tight, strict.

The dangers of hiring a manager who is used to winning, professionalism, perfectionism etc. for teams that just aren't at that standard can be dangerous. I believe that Gerrard has the expectation of perfectionism, that many of our players just can't deliver, this will create splits in the camp, between players that believe they can and players that don't. Gerrard has an expectation of winning and not tolerating losses, this is just not where we are as club, we will lose games, it's important to not tolerate losing, but not crossing the line of creating toxicity.  I imagine that's why he gave McGinn the captaincy, as regardless of his ability, he has great determination and a good work rate, whereas someone like Mings probably is a bit more easy going.

There is without a doubt a lot more bickering going on on the pitch now, which is never a good sign. Just hope we don't get a Bowyer vs Dyer incident.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I remember when we beat Arsenal at their place under Smithy (One of those 1 in 20 stellar performances of ours), the Arsenal fans were baying for  the blood of Arteta, and I, for one, didn't see him lasting. After all, what qualifications did he have to be in charge of such a big club? A couple of seasons later, having got rid of all that deadwood, and Arsenal don't look a bad side at all. Just a bit of food for thought. 

Arteta is just the flavor of the month because of good form and the All or nothing series.
He has basically returned them to where they were when he joined, after three seasons and massive spending. I don't want to bash arteta, as he definitely has good qualities, but just because he could turn it around there, does not by any means guarantee that Gerrard can do it here. Also I have gone way of topic

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Arteta is just the flavor of the month because of good form and the All or nothing series.
He has basically returned them to where they were when he joined, after three seasons and massive spending. I don't want to bash arteta, as he definitely has good qualities, but just because he could turn it around there, does not by any means guarantee that Gerrard can do it here. Also I have gone way of topic

Like I said, "food for thought". 

This cliche of having "lost the dressing room", for me, it's just another excuse for the players to hide behind. They don't represent Steven Gerrard, they represent Aston Villa. To give 90 minutes of unquestionable commitment is the minimum we ask of our players, if that's not forthcoming,  then I'm afraid,  they need to be held accountable. 

I’d be willing to bet big money the players dislike Gerrard. I can’t back that theory up but I bet they’re sick and tired of being set up to lose every week. 

Can’t imagine Gerrard is a nice bloke to play for. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Like I said, "food for thought". 

This cliche of having "lost the dressing room", for me, it's just another excuse for the players to hide behind. They don't represent Steven Gerrard, they represent Aston Villa. To give 90 minutes of unquestionable commitment is the minimum we ask of our players, if that's not forthcoming,  then I'm afraid,  they need to be held accountable. 

I think this is fanciful thinking. Of course, it SHOULD be that way but it just doesn’t work that way. 

There have been plenty of times where I probably should have put more effort in at work but when your boss is a c*** it affects your motivation and will to succeed for them. It just does. 

I doubt the players really care about Villa, not most of them anyway, they care about themselves and their paycheck. They’re also powerful enough nowadays to affect management and who gets to keep their job. In our case, I hope the players get Gerrard the sack because we’re going nowhere under this clown.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think this is fanciful thinking. Of course, it SHOULD be that way but it just doesn’t work that way. 

There have been plenty of times where I probably should have put more effort in at work but when your boss is a c*** it affects your motivation and will to succeed for them. It just does. 

I doubt the players really care about Villa, not most of them anyway, they care about themselves and their paycheck. They’re also powerful enough nowadays to affect management and who gets to keep their job. In our case, I hope the players get Gerrard the sack because we’re going nowhere under this clown.

If the players don't care about the club it makes little sense changing the manager. Which was my point. Until we fid ourselves of the deadwood , we will continue to struggle. 

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be willing to bet big money the players dislike Gerrard. I can’t back that theory up but I bet they’re sick and tired of being set up to lose every week. 

Can’t imagine Gerrard is a nice bloke to play for. 

That video in Australia made me wonder what the players thoughts are of him; when they did a final lap of the pitch and as they came off he said something like "you hate me now". 

I think that trying to come across as the big "I am" may not go down too well with grown men. 

I think his fall-out with Mings stretches back to last season when Mings gave interviews saying that he didn't think they'd ever run so far in their lives. Maybe Gerrard didn't like the things being said back then and has held that against him since? Who knows but,  there will only be one winner there, unless Mings gets a transfer. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

That video in Australia made me wonder what the players thoughts are of him; when they did a final lap of the pitch and as they came off he said something like "you hate me now". 

I think that trying to come across as the big "I am" may not go down too well with grown men. 

I think his fall-out with Mings stretches back to last season when Mings gave interviews saying that he didn't think they'd ever run so far in their lives. Maybe Gerrard didn't like the things being said back then and has held that against him since? Who knows but,  there will only be one winner there, unless Mings gets a transfer. 

I think you make a good point. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. 

In the last few days we have had leaks to Miguel Delaney about players being underwhelmed with the lack of tactical instructions after Beale left, today it's Percy mentioning how bewildered the aquad is at Sanson's exclusion plus we have the Bailey situation brewing. Safe to say Gerrard has managed to make the dressing room as toxic as it has been since 16/17,

Just musing out loud but I’m not sure tansy Rent a Gob Gabby’s recent criticism of Richard Keys though deserved has poss not been the best thing to have done. He’s a prick but still has a lot of contacts with the game and media and baiting him online maybe wasn’t  the smartest thing Gabby could’ve done, as since there has been a lot of negative media stories about Villa. 

25 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

In the last few days we have had leaks to Miguel Delaney about players being underwhelmed with the lack of tactical instructions after Beale left, today it's Percy mentioning how bewildered the aquad is at Sanson's exclusion plus we have the Bailey situation brewing. Safe to say Gerrard has managed to make the dressing room as toxic as it has been since 16/17,

It’s a real feat. In fact, it’s probably the most success he’s had. Nice one, Stevie. 

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just musing out loud but I’m not sure tansy Rent a Gob Gabby’s recent criticism of Richard Keys though deserved has poss not been the best thing to have done. He’s a prick but still has a lot of contacts with the game and media and baiting him online maybe wasn’t  the smartest thing Gabby could’ve done, as since there has been a lot of negative media stories about Villa. 

Lol what.

Richard Keys is a fossil. He has no contacts within the game

I don't think it matters that Gerrard has lost the dressing room. 

We're building a new one in the new North Stand, we can use a portacabin in the meantime. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

That is one hell of a theory. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

That is one hell of a theory. 

Yep … as I said musing out loud, trying to change the constant doom and gloom narrative by adding my own conspiracy theory narrative 😂

Â