Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To really add insult to injury, Son didn't do much either

And I brought in Kulu for cover and he did everything 😂😁

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's worth looking at the underlying numbers. Kane only amassed 0.1 xG in a game where Spurs scored 4, which is a tad concerning. Son got 0.6 for example. 

Haaland amassed 1.7. Even if you take away his penalty it's an xG of 1. 

The difference in performance, FPL wise, is vast

Yes yes, I meant that I had Kane but if you told me before GW1 that Spurs would score 4, that would have confirmed my choice even more 😁

• Like 1

Team scored 34 Points

Benched scored 38 points

Only position I picked the best choice in was GK... thought I would be smart to not have Haaland in and so could have better options elsewhere. Now will have to take a points deduction and take out Darwin or Jesus to fit him him (Mitrovic is staying in at 6.5m!). I hate this game. 

53 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

anyone ever used sites like this before:

http://www.fplstatistics.co.uk/Home/IndexAndroid

supposed to predict price movements i.e says high likelihood of kulusevsi and martinelli changing overnight

I use fantasy football fix for price move predictions. 

They’re a good guide but especially the last season or two their accuracy has definitely decreased. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They’re a good guide but especially the last season or two their accuracy has definitely decreased. 

i had a rough plan to bring martinelli in the next 2-3 weeks but i don't have any money to spare so looks like i'm going to have to take the point hit to bring him in earlier. seems inevitable that he's going up in price

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

good job i made the martinelli change last night. seemed inevitable his value would increase this week so didn't see the point of waiting. FF fix predicted i'd have another day to do it...he went up in price last night so glad i did it

they got kulusevski right though

really tempted by a differential for captain this week. every man and his dog will have either haaland or salah. salah could easily blank vs palace and wouldn't surprise me if pep rotates

meanwhile someone like cancelo is pretty much guaranteed a start and a clean sheet...is it too early to be this aggressive?

Edited by tomav84

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think so, yes.

yeah you're right. it's just the pessimist in me telling me that whoever i choose between salah and haaland will end up being the wrong one!

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yeah you're right. it's just the pessimist in me telling me that whoever i choose between salah and haaland will end up being the wrong one!

You play the percentages. Over a season you'll be right more than not. Could both be out-scored by someone else? Yes. But it's a lucky man who manages to pick that needle out of the haystack.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

really tempted by a differential for captain this week. every man and his dog will have either haaland or salah. salah could easily blank vs palace and wouldn't surprise me if pep rotates

meanwhile someone like cancelo is pretty much guaranteed a start and a clean sheet...is it too early to be this aggressive?

On the flip side to what @BOFsaid, perhaps now is the best time to take a chance as if it goes badly you then have a full season to adjust your plans and make it up. If you mess up in the final stages there's no time to correct it. 

The WC wildcard also gives more freedom to be a bit more creative in these early weeks. 

Edited by Rds1983

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

On the flip side to what @BOFsaid, perhaps now is the best time to take a chance as if it goes badly you then have a full season to adjust your plans and make it up. If you mess up in the final stages there's no time to correct it. 

The WC wildcard also gives more freedom to be a bit more creative in these early weeks. 

Nah, apply that analogy to the Tour de France. You have to stay in the peloton early on. Then when you get near the finish line and you know what you've got to gain or lose, then roll the dice.  Roll it now and statistically you're gone before the race begins. But hey, play the game the way you want to. It all depends what you want from it. It's probably more fun to roll the dice. But I'm going for rank.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Nah, apply that analogy to the Tour de France. You have to stay in the peloton early on. Then when you get near the finish line and you know what you've got to gain or lose, then roll the dice.  Roll it now and statistically you're gone before the race begins. But hey, play the game the way you want to. It all depends what you want from it. It's probably more fun to roll the dice. But I'm going for rank.

it's a good way of looking at it

i just have a bad feeling about haaland this week. he's either going to blank or not be picked. on paper he should score a bucket load, but it's never that simple

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Disagree, this isn't a sprint it's a marathon. Also, it depends on what rank you are aiming for? Very different going for top 10k, top 50k, top 500k, top 1m or just wanting to win a mini league and lots more flexibility the lower your aims. I've seen plenty of people be ranked very low (3 or 4m) first few weeks (myself included) but still finish top 100k or higher.

I was ranked 12k last February so was well in the ranks. I dropped to 55k odd in the end but saw people climb above me after being ranked 500k odd. 

I've also seen people go for a big jump in the final weeks by being heavy differential and then drop like a stone as the template rockets. 

Ultimately, it's a game of 38 rounds. Doesn't really make a huge difference when you make a big mistake as it's still a big mistake. However, by doing the mistake earlier you at least have time and opportunity to alter your tactics, take a different approach and be more aggressive/differential if you want to play catch up. 

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's a good way of looking at it

i just have a bad feeling about haaland this week. he's either going to blank or n ot be picked . on paper he should score a bucket load, but it's never that simple

Why would Pep rotate him? A week between games, and what better way to continue integrating him into the team than in a match they're expected to win by 2-3 goals?

Edited by a-k
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, a-k said:

Why would Pep rotate him? A week between games, and what better way to continue integrating him into the team than in a match they're expected to win by 2-3 goals?

i agree it's unlikely but pep is still pep. and what better game to integrate alvarez

16 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Disagree, this isn't a sprint it's a marathon. Also, it depends on what rank you are aiming for? Very different going for top 10k, top 50k, top 500k, top 1m or just wanting to win a mini league and lots more flexibility the lower your aims. I've seen plenty of people be ranked very low (3 or 4m) first few weeks (myself included) but still finish top 100k or higher.

I was ranked 12k last February so was well in the ranks. I dropped to 55k odd in the end but saw people climb above me after being ranked 500k odd. 

I've also seen people go for a big jump in the final weeks by being heavy differential and then drop like a stone as the template rockets. 

Ultimately, it's a game of 38 rounds. Doesn't really make a huge difference when you make a big mistake as it's still a big mistake. However, by doing the mistake earlier you at least have time and opportunity to alter your tactics, take a different approach and be more aggressive/differential if you want to play catch up. 

But why would you risk giving everyone else a headstart at this point of the season?

The chances of a throw of the dice working are pretty low. Sure if it works then you're loving life. But the reality is you will PROBABLY end up behind the pack and then you've given yourself a mountain to climb. For every person you noticed overtaking you in the ranks, there's probably a hundred who stayed behind you.

The best time to be aggressive is from a position of strength, imo. Give yourself a base to work from

Edited by Stevo985