U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

Front page updated with Monday's rsults.

Friday
19:00 Aston Villa(8)  2-1 Norwich City(4->5)

Monday
13:00 Leeds Utd(1)    4-2 Newcastle Utd(5->6)
13:00 Sunderland(9)   1-3 Southampton(3->2)
19:00 Stoke City(10)  4-0 Derby County(11)
19:00 West Brom(2->3) 1-5 Notts Forest(7->4)

That's basically it now 'til the new year. Derby play Southampton on the 5th of December but that's the only remaining 2022 game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, useless said:

There are still another four Premier League Cup games to be played between now and December 16th.

Dose the same rules apply as they can use 3 or 4 players over the age of 21?

Could come in handy for some players returning from injuries. 

As of last year each side was allowed five over-age outfield players plus a goalkeeper.

It's crossed my mind that we could use the games to give match fitness to first team players during the international break, but I don't think we'd over do it as will still want to use these games for development of academy players, and also might depend on whether using first team players would be seen as against the spirit of the competition.

I can't see no reason why we couldn't use the games to give Archer some game time though after he's not played much football this season, he wouldn't even be an over-age player.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, useless said:

As of last year each side was allowed five over-age outfield players plus a goalkeeper.

It's crossed my mind that we could use the games to give match fitness to first team players during the international break, but I don't think we'd over do it as will still want to use these games for development of academy players, and also might depend on whether using first team players would be seen as against the spirit of the competition.

I can't see no reason why we couldn't use the games to give Archer some game time though after he's not played much football this season, he wouldn't even be an over-age player.

Fully agree, seems weird to me that once any player gets the call up to the senior team that this exact thing happens.

Surely there needs to be a longer period of playing for both so they can keep their game time minutes as high as possible. 

Its not as if they will be asked to play more than 20 minutes at the end of a 1st team game anyway. Surely its better to be match sharp?

Always bugged me that!