Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

This is a rubbish claim to fame and technically it's not mine personally, but a family one. My great-great-great-grandfather was a music teacher and he taught a certain Edward Elgar to play the Cello.

Had a conversation with John Fashanu at a sort of informal business meeting thing that went along the lines of:

me: John, can I get you a drink?

JF: No thanks, I don't drink.

me: Well it doesn't have to be alcoholic.

JF: oh, ok, can I have a Baileys with ice please?

me: what the **** are you on?

rest of room: spontaneous laughter

All these years later i wish i had the bottle to see if i could have made it in to the players entrance and sat with some players

I spent the first half at Swindon (promotion game ) away standing next to Graham Taylor by the Villa dug out ... didn't have a ticket so got in the Swindon end and it soon kicked off as there were a few villa in the end .. the stewards decided to walk us around the edge of the pitch to the villa end .. I stopped to tie my shoe lace and came back up and everyone had gone and I was left behind ... so by the Villa dug out seemed a good place to stand

after a while security rumbled that I wasn't supposed to be there and marched me around to the villa section ( was kinda drunk and events are hazy but I'm fairly sure I offered GT some tactics advice :-) )

Was that GTMkII? Cause that would explain a lot. ;) If it was during his first time around he probably didn't listen. :D

Don't know if it was on this actual thread, but I think I've posted this before:

I've been in 4 different countries on the same day... and they all began with the letter 'E'.

Yes, it was in this thread. England, Egypt and some other camel-infested places.

Don't know if it was on this actual thread, but I think I've posted this before:

I've been in 4 different countries on the same day... and they all began with the letter 'E'.

Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Equatorial Guinea?

Yes, it was in this thread. England, Egypt and some other camel-infested places.

Well remembered... started in Asmara (Eritrea)... short hop to Addis (Ethiopia)... then Cairo (Egypt) and finally Heathrow (England).

PS I also posted, but definitely not in this thread: back in 2000/2001, I had a big argument with Fred Goodwin which ended up with my telling him he didn't understand the basic principles of banking... after which I closed my account. Do you think I should apply for his knighthood?

I've taken the shortest International flight available.

Prize for first correct answer

Google says Bahrain to Dammam.

Correct, my much coveted VillaTalk CD is on its way

Send it to mister Google.

Similar story to the Fashanu one:

I was in a bar in a hotel where a Mr P Weller and his band were staying after a gig.

Weller was 'in the chair' and asking people what they wanted.

On getting around to somebody or other (I usually say Mick Talbot but it might not have been) they asked for an Irish Whiskey.

Ha! announces Weller, you can't trick me, there's no such thing as Irish Whiskey.

We all assure him there is and it's not a piss take.

So he walks across to the bar and says......

Can I have two cokes, a bitter, a lager and an Irish Scotch please.

It was at that point I realised he was just a bloke.

Later the same evening I produced my 12" copy of 'you need wheels' by the Merton Parkas and asked Mick Talbot to sign it. That's how old I am.

Â