Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I've said it before pre-season is seen as this panacea for all a teams problems. Its literally a month to get fit after holidays with a handful of low intensity games chucked in

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10

I notice that we don’t seem to be getting mentioned a lot when it comes to teams that can challenge the top/sky 6, it’s all Newcastle this and Newcastle that. I think that is probably fair considering it’s more than likely off the back of our poor league finish last season, but I think we have a real opportunity to go under the radar somewhat this term.

If we can hit the ground running, then we’ve got every chance but we have to start well otherwise it’s going to be another slog.

On 30/06/2022 at 11:26, VillaJ100 said:

I've said it before pre-season is seen as this panacea for all a teams problems. Its literally a month to get fit after holidays with a handful of low intensity games chucked in

And considering we had a 3 week break in the winter - after which results nose dived .......well there you go !

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 23:30, DCJonah said:

Spurs and Arsenal are making the gap bigger. West Ham look to be spending big. 

It's going to be incredibly difficult to finish any higher than 9th next season. 

I agree.....I don't see us finishing about that, unless a complete galvanisation of the team takes over and we improve above the sum of our parts.

4 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I notice that we don’t seem to be getting mentioned a lot when it comes to teams that can challenge the top/sky 6, it’s all Newcastle this and Newcastle that. I think that is probably fair considering it’s more than likely off the back of our poor league finish last season, but I think we have a real opportunity to go under the radar somewhat this term.

If we can hit the ground running, then we’ve got every chance but we have to start well otherwise it’s going to be another slog.

I say this with respect.....I think the view of Villa from outside to inside is quite stark.

I think we have better individual players than Newcastle.....but they seem to be more cohesive in getting results.

I think since January, they bought some functional/ agricultural players, who gave them a harder edge.....and they managed to win games, they would have lost before January.....they tightened their defence and became harder to play.

Its not always about super talent.....I can be about being super effective.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I say this with respect.....I think the view of Villa from outside to inside is quite stark.

I think we have better individual players than Newcastle.....but they seem to be more cohesive in getting results.

I think since January, they bought some functional/ agricultural players, who gave them a harder edge.....and they managed to win games, they would have lost before January.....they tightened their defence and became harder to play.

Moulding a team rather than a collection of players.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I think since January, they bought some functional/ agricultural players

Do you think they'll dig deep and plow through the season?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Don’t underestimate the impact of the crowd. When they are behind the team it’s a difficult place  to go for any team. The players give that little bit more when there is such great support.  Their home form was excellent after Howe took over. 

Under Bruce the place had gone toxic. 

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Moulding a team rather than a collection of players.

I have to agree with that Pete.....110%...pardon the pun( Ron Saunders favourite percentage)

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 09:22, Woody1000 said:

I notice that we don’t seem to be getting mentioned a lot when it comes to teams that can challenge the top/sky 6

There’s a very simple reason for that…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t underestimate the impact of the crowd. When they are behind the team it’s a difficult place  to go for any team. The players give that little bit more when there is such great support.  Their home form was excellent after Howe took over. 

Under Bruce the place had gone toxic. 

I think our crowd is amongst the best in the country.....but they have been tested, by the inability of the team, to win at home with any reasonable consistency....That has taken the edge of us.

We have been too easily "got at" in recent seasons at home, and the crowd has been affected by it......for me that's the balance of the team, being not right....I'm hoping we will fix it, this summer.....so far the strengthening has been plausible, we just need to go a bit further.

Their ( Newcastle) form generally was good after the January influx.....they didn't buy headline makers, but they bought effective players, who had a bearing on their results.....Dan Burn in particular.

If you don't defend properly, its hard for the crowd, to lift a team, no matter how much they try.

When we get pressed unduly, and the opposition show urgency on the ball and get about us .....we can tend to dip in our workrate and look lost.....I'm hoping we address this, this season.

ps I'm going on last season of course.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think our crowd is amongst the best in the country.....but they have been tested, by the inability of the team, to win at home with any reasonable consistency....That has taken the edge of us.

We have been too easily "got at" in recent seasons at home, and the crowd has been affected by it......for me that's the balance of the team, being not right....I'm hoping we will fix it, this summer.....so far the strengthening has been plausible, we just need to go a bit further.

Many years ago you might have been right. We were alright in the Championship, to be fair, but more often than not, Villa Park is is moody and either silent or moaning. It's very rare over the past decade I've walked away from VP thinking the place was in good voice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Their ( Newcastle) form generally was good after the January influx.....they didn't buy headline makers, but they bought effective players, who had a bearing on their results.....Dan Burn in particular.

If you don't defend properly, its hard for the crowd, to lift a team, no matter how much they try.

When we get pressed unduly, and the opposition show urgency on the ball and get about us .....we can tend to dip in our workrate and look lost.....I'm hoping we address this, this season.

ps I'm going on last season of course.

I can’t comment on as haven’t experienced home ends in other grounds but I think our atmosphere is poor personally. Constantly moaning.

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Many years ago you might have been right. We were alright in the Championship, to be fair, but more often than not, Villa Park is is moody and either silent or moaning. It's very rare over the past decade I've walked away from VP thinking the place was in good voice.

I accept your view, but I'm not sure its fair.....They mirror the team.

Its been some time, since I have been comfortable with our defending as a team at home......and I believe that has had an impression on the crowd.

The Wolves debacle was an epitome of the worst example......Leeds pushed them close,with the 2-3 and the 5-5 with Forest, might be descibed as entertainment in some quarters, but for me its sloppy.....and being 0-4 against Southampton, wasn't inspiring either, despite a spirited comeback.....we have to be meaner than that, if we have any aspirations for progress.

I can remember when Villa Park was a fortress, that maybe wishful thinking, to have that back.....but we can do a darn sight better than caving in, as we have done.

I don't want to see us park the bus......but I don't want to see us hand out invitations to attack us either.....We can't keep expecting to out gun teams, to gain points, some 1-0's are inevitable....We have to adapt a miserly edge, and then you will see the crowd, be more partisan.

We have to get back to Villa Park being a hard place to go.....and make them work their arse off, for anything they get.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t comment on as haven’t experienced home ends in other grounds but I think our atmosphere is poor personally. Constantly moaning.

I don't hear any moaning where I sit ( Doug Ellis lower) maybe its an age thing, they are all mature fans in the main, around us.

I tried to explain, why IMO, in my previous post.

I refuse to moan, when a game is on, because they ( the players) can hear it, and it makes matters worse, but poor goals conceded tests the resolve of the most discerning fan.....but I don't expect everyone to be as disciplined as me ( I only have a pint before a game these days, and alcohol, does loosen the tongue)

I have laboured the point on here, about "being hard to play against" and I think that plays a big part......stupid, sloppy goals conceded, gets to fans.....especially when the ones we score are hard to come by.... so the moaning is co-related to much of the play, and I can accept it shouldn't be....but we are delving in to human nature now.

Our Home form has been poor, for too long......so the challenge is for us all......fix it.

Fans emotions are up and down like a whores draws.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

just watched an independent you tube video, saying we are "Elite" in terms of crowd.........FWIW.

didn't Kelly cates and Gary Neville, remarked on it once too( against Everton).....saying the atmosphere is amazing.

Its like I say, the potential is there.....The team need to be more resolute, for the crowd to latch on to....and for outsiders to believe in us.

Personally, I get huge statisfaction out of a clean sheet, particularly, when we win.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â