Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

7 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

My point is that someone said the deal was done. It isn't. It might be close, it might be done tomorrow, but as of NOW, it is not done. That was my only point.

That’s fair. I think the quote was “reached an agreement” so, it’s not ‘done’ but, you’d imagine there wouldn’t be any issues at all from this point. 

West Gammon signing Paquetta is a sign of where this league is at right now. Just to be in the mix for top half you need to be signing players of that calibre on a regular basis.

We’ve got to do that and more to make up the deficit created by 3 seasons out of the top flight.

Gerrard has made a great start with his signings but now is not the time to take a breather or settle for second best.

I’d take Bentderek if he was coming in addition to an more elite centre back like Diallo. His aerial ability could be useful against some of the more industrial teams, but he can’t be a regular starter.

I’m still reserving judgement until the window shuts but if all this talk of aiming for top 6/8 are true then the club needs to have a really good final week of the window. A top quality CD and CM required at the very least, another elite attacking option would show we’re serious.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but I can't find ONE tweet or article from Percy saying that Tarkowski turned us down.

I've found things ranging from " Could be a potential signing " to " Options are quite open etc.

Last tweet from him with regards to that I can find, is him confirming deal for Carlos and saying it was an impressive move.

Again I could be wrong, and I'm trying to search for it, because I don't remember anything saying he turned us down.

I did indeed hear that Nathan Collins turned us down as we couldn't guarantee him a starting place.

Haven’t looked on Twitter but here is one example of John Percy writing a (highly complimentary about us) article in the Daily Telegraph in which he says Gerrard went to Tarkowski’s house to try to persuade him to sign for Villa: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/04/how-steven-gerrard-planning-realise-aston-villas-european-dream/

It was fairly widely reported elsewhere as well, I just used Percy as a reference because he doesn’t usually just make things up in my view.

It’s not a knock on Gerrard from me here at all - as I said, he did the same thing for Kamara and we landed him. Was just a note that we were clearly after him rather than it being a smokescreen (well, unless it was a REALLY in depth smokescreen!)

(Edit: mods I think I’m supposed to copy and paste something from the article along with the link and apologies, am trying to do that from my phone now and will re-read the guidelines!)

Edited by Adam2003

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Well I suppose it was nailed on in as much as Gerrard went to his house to ask him to sign for us, same as he did with Kamara. Difference is Tarkowski said no! So many moving parts in any deal…

Actually him and his agent asked for a lot more money at the last minute - we walked away

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Haven’t looked on Twitter but here is one example of John Percy writing a (highly complimentary about us) article in the Daily Telegraph in which he says Gerrard went to Tarkowski’s house to try to persuade him to sign for Villa: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/04/how-steven-gerrard-planning-realise-aston-villas-european-dream/

It was fairly widely reported elsewhere as well, I just used Percy as a reference because he doesn’t usually just make things up in my view.

It’s not a knock on Gerrard from me here at all - as I said, he did the same thing for Kamara and we landed him. Was just a note that we were clearly after him rather than it being a smokescreen (well, unless it was a REALLY in depth smokescreen!)

Yeah that's the story I couldn't read because it's behind Telegraph Paywall. Lol

No way in hell I'm paying either 😂

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Would that have been in addition to Diego or instead of? Sorry I haven’t read the article so don’t know the timeline. Obviously Diego signed quite early on, so I’d guess Tarkowski would have been in addition to… 

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Actually him and his agent asked for a lot more money at the last minute - we walked away

Again I’m just saying we were actively in for him if Gerrard was at his house personally - I’m not saying what is good or bad or offering any view on what went wrong or right.

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Please blow this up in caps and put it in bold so people see it.

Otherwise it will be skipped over and the very same things will be posted again 🤦🏿‍♂️

Sine you're a reliable source I hope it would get notice, as us pointing out that this is obviously the suggestion hasn't been digesting.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Again I’m just saying we were actively in for him if Gerrard was at his house personally - I’m not saying what is good or bad or offering any view on what went wrong or right.

We were definitely interested 

25 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Everton has just announced Maupay. Hopefully Brighton want Ings as a replacement 🤞🏻

I hope not, Ings has looked great so far this season, he’s our most natural goalscorer. I’d hate to lose him and see him thrive elsewhere

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Otherwise it will be skipped over and the very same things will be posted again 🤦🏿‍♂️

Sine you're a reliable source I hope it would get notice, a sus pointing out that this is obviously the suggestion hasn't been digesting.

Its why this window is baffling for me. We wanted two centre backs and if I was a betting man (I don’t know have any info on this) I think they wanted to sell Mings.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Just looking at the official website and the players are now in the new kits on the team page. Apart from two - Guilbert and El Ghazi. I think that basically confirms they have no part in the squad if they weren't included in this. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/teams

was Anwar in the training vid today?

13 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

My point is that someone said the deal was done. It isn't. It might be close, it might be done tomorrow, but as of NOW, it is not done. That was my only point.

I was saying they struck an agreement, obviously things can change but that’s the information that everyone has now in the media. I’ll add that I think it’s pretty done due to the way Fofana has frozen himself out at Leicester. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just looking at the official website and the players are now in the new kits on the team page. Apart from two - Guilbert and El Ghazi. I think that basically confirms they have no part in the squad if they weren't included in this. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/teams

This is akin to when Grealish was left out of all of the marketing materials… they’re off. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sine you're a reliable source I hope it would get notice, as us pointing out that this is obviously the suggestion hasn't been digesting.

JV just to be clear I wasn’t trying to pick an argument here on WHY the deal didn’t happen, just noting that there was very real and active interest. Perhaps in the current climate using Gerrard personally going to his house was somehow taken as a dig but was just proof for me that interest was very concrete.

• Like 1