Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The Alvarez transfer is the one I find most amusing. I love the naivety of believing we could have just signed Alvarez for 17m if we just acted more quickly in Jan. All media were covering that he was available, all media were reporting his goal scoring record and potential. To think that Man City weren't aware and hadn't been in contact with him is a joke. The discourse on here by some is that we messed up by delaying things and City saw what we were at and came in and snapped him up. 😂

Just to add I think the Alvarez talk was definitely agent driven. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s an easy stick to beat the management with the benefit of hindsight. We run a notoriously tight ship and certain deals show how quick we can move when needed. Sometimes, long term targets take time to deliver. Or we have a wide net of what we want and how we identify realistic targets. For all we know, Bailey could score more this season than Alvarez. There’s variables we aren’t privy to or can simply anticipate. 

I agree and there is also the extremely important financial aspect. We need to keep our financials within FFP and give us wiggle room for future transfer windows. This must play a huge role in transfer decisions which none of us have an understanding of. 

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Same with Milot. 

Agreed, I think in a way we are similar to Man City to how we operate with our transfers. We don’t normally get drawn into drama or sagas when we are buying a player, we normally act fairly quick. So when we get these links that drag on I just start to think it’s bs. 

• Like 4

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I agree and there is also the extremely important financial aspect. We need to keep our financials within FFP and give us wiggle room for future transfer windows. This must play a huge role in transfer decisions which none of us have an understanding of. 

100% - nor do I think we were going to spend £17-20m on an unknown quantity from Argentina at the time as his profile hadn’t reached those levels yet. We needed bodies and we’ve had some big flops. Especially when we didn’t have the Grealish cash. Every year we are in a better financial position to make the deals we need. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Didn't some Argentinian journalist say we bid for him

I never once saw we had submitted a bid, it was all just the normal media rhetoric. If we had submitted a bid they I assume it would have been made known as he had a relatively low release clause and the club would have been obliged to accept the bid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didn't some Argentinian journalist say we bid for him

I don’t know how reliable they are but it’s similar to the Kosovan reporter that said we were in for Milot. Plus I’m sure agents use even the most reliable journalist to create some noise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I don’t know how reliable they are but it’s similar to the Kosovan reporter that said we were in for Milot. Plus I’m sure agents use even the most reliable journalist to create some noise.

Same way we were suddenly too small for Milot because the spin wasn’t working and he ends up at Norwich. It was all smalltime stuff and just looked very embarrassing for them. I typically see it was speculation until we get something of substance  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Same way we were suddenly too small for Milot because the spin wasn’t working and he ends up at Norwich. It was all smalltime stuff and just looked very embarrassing for them. I typically see it was speculation until we get something of substance  

Yeah, I expect we got our main business done and dusted in May / June. There are probably another couple of additions that SG would like but we are not desperate to get them in and will not pay over the odds / we have to work within a more strict budget. So, imo, we will see some activity in the last week of the window and will pick up a bargain if one becomes available, if not, we have our squad for next season

Alvarez had a release clause (€17m or whatever it was) that we didn't trigger since we decided to go for Ings instead. 

By January we were out of the running because he had exploded with goals. Last summer I think we had a real shot had we been serious.

Doesn't matter now, we got the one we wanted and Smith got sacked and Ings scored 7 (with 6 assist)

Some of the biggest clubs in Europe - from Leverkusen to Man United and Man City and Inter were also linked with Alvarez. It’s highly, highly unlikely in any sense up that we were in the front running for him. He signed a new deal at River because there was lots of speculation - that low release clause meant a lot of clubs would be interested - it doesn’t mean he’d be open to the move. He was always out of our league. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Dan Bardell was on a Norwich podcast when they hired Dean Smith and Rashica came up in conversation.  Dan said that someone he trusts from the club told him Rashica was actually travelled to Birmingham and was at BMH working on finalizing his deal that summer, but for some reason the plug was pulled and he ended up at Norwich the next year.  

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Alvarez had a release clause (€17m or whatever it was) that we didn't trigger since we decided to go for Ings instead. 

By January we were out of the running because he had exploded with goals. Last summer I think we had a real shot had we been serious.

Doesn't matter now, we got the one we wanted and Smith got sacked and Ings scored 7 (with 6 assist)

i think Alvarez rejected us, which is why we didnt trigger his release.

I remember an interview with Emi 1 where he said something like "i tried to convince Alvarez to join me at Villa".

He didnt say he failed, but by default if he was trying to convince him, it clearly didnt work (if we were serious about him).

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

i think Alvarez rejected us, which is why we didnt trigger his release.

I remember an interview with Emi 1 where he said something like "i tried to convince Alvarez to join me at Villa".

He didnt say he failed, but by default if he was trying to convince him, it clearly didnt work (if we were serious about him).

I imagine he was holding out for the likes of City to swoop in. There’s a very good reason as to why nobody else triggered it. 

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Dan Bardell was on a Norwich podcast when they hired Dean Smith and Rashica came up in conversation.  Dan said that someone he trusts from the club told him Rashica was actually travelled to Birmingham and was at BMH working on finalizing his deal that summer, but for some reason the plug was pulled and he ended up at Norwich the next year.  

Wasn't the thing they agreed a package but then his team asked for more money out of nowhere. Villa told them deal off.

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

A fair few teams linked to Amine Gouiri. Meant to be highly rated. Anyone know if this would be a good signing for us?

Signed him on FM once, Brilliant attitude and trained well for me. Good finisher. I recommend. I mean check what he can do on the pitch

Edited by messi11

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, I expect we got our main business done and dusted in May / June. There are probably another couple of additions that SG would like but we are not desperate to get them in and will not pay over the odds / we have to work within a more strict budget. So, imo, we will see some activity in the last week of the window and will pick up a bargain if one becomes available, if not, we have our squad for next season

The same probably applies to players leaving. Some may not currently be first choice for prospective buying clubs but there’s probably s number of ducks to line up. As I don’t believe we’re actually short of cash we can be afford to play the who blinks first game from a pretty strong position when either buying or selling. 

• Like 1