Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Agree completely, at some point as we slide down the list of players we like we have to put the brake on and question the worth of it 

But it's now starting to feel like we've taken that approach with central midfield for the last 3 summers! 

In which case, let’s be happy we’ve at least sorted the infamous DM issue. Let’s try for another 8 in January, no use wasting money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, macandally said:

Why do you keep saying Bailey, Ings and Sansom are bad signings?

Thats your opinion not a fact and whilst they are yet to pull up any trees, they have been here about a season and two have had fitness issues.  Why don’t you wait and see what they do this year before you spend the money on some one else you are not going to give time to settle!

Even when they’ve been fit, they’ve been very underwhelming. Bailey especially. Sanson has been here longer than a season and just isn’t fancied by our management team. 

By all means, go into the season with these players but none of them will be starters for us. Ings is our highest paid player and he sits on the bench. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Close to Europe? Not a chance!

5 league Cup games?? 😉

Seriously though, we will obviously need luck of the draw but with the expectation of it being a bit of a no man's land season I'd want Gerrard to go after the cups, we do have a chance there, we are good enough to give anyone a game, my memory is hazy but I thought we were the better team vs finalists Chelsea away last season 

So top 4 team away 3rd round of both

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Even when they’ve been fit, they’ve been very underwhelming. Bailey especially. Sanson has been here longer than a season and just isn’t fancied by our management team. 

By all means, go into the season with these players but none of them will be starters for us. Ings is our highest paid player and he sits on the bench. 

To be fair to Bailey i think the only time he was fully fit was up till he scored the left foot screamer vs Everton.. and when i say fully fit i mean mentally fit to let go and stretch his legs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

To be fair to Bailey i think the only time he was fully fit was up till he scored the left foot screamer vs Everton.. and when i say fully fit i mean mentally fit to let go and stretch his legs. 

Looked a shadow of himself when he played at the end of last season, but a fully fit Bailey is dangerous. I still seriously rate him.

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Hmm, a loan for a back up LB. Not really what people thought we were going to be doing though… it’s a signing for sure. But let’s face it, many expected something a lot juicier. 

Not you, though. You said they were done. 😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I hope you’re right and he comes good. My main worry with Bailey is we don’t play with wingers so he’ll more than likely play as a 10 where it’s more difficult to show your pace. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I hope you’re right and he comes good. My main worry with Bailey is we don’t play with wingers so he’ll more than likely play as a 10 where it’s more difficult to show your pace. 

Might well turn out to be meaningless but I found it interesting that we played a 4-2-3-1 in the first half against Walsall. It's something that would suit a few of the attacking players, or at least give more options in terms of the combinations of players that could be used in that area of the pitch.

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

5 league Cup games?? 😉

Seriously though, we will obviously need luck of the draw but with the expectation of it being a bit of a no man's land season I'd want Gerrard to go after the cups, we do have a chance there, we are good enough to give anyone a game, my memory is hazy but I thought we were the better team vs finalists Chelsea away last season 

So top 4 team away 3rd round of both

The big clubs are trying in the cups more now, I’m not convinced there is more of a chance of a cup that a good place in the league.  We seem to get horrible draws and then one slip in a game and you are out of the cup.  We are prone to slips, at least in the league you can have a slip and bounce back.  

Our focus has to be the league in my opinion and we take the cups as they come and with their luck, and try our best but league as the priority.  Don’t get me wrong I’d love to win a cup but the big couple of teams really dominate them these days.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

God I hate what a moany, never-happy bunch of rocket polishers some of our fan base have become.

Just enjoy that we’ve got a really exciting squad and look forward to a season, eh?

Completely agree. I want a new CM badly. But even without I’m so excited about this season regardless. The kamara signing happened so early that I think the buzzhas worn off for some people but it was massive, I can’t wait to see carlos play as well. And even though we had him for half a season, after a full pre season I feel like coutinho will be brilliant this year. Bailey will hopefully improve on a rough first season too. There’s loads to be excited about

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree. I want a new CM badly. But even without I’m so excited about this season regardless. The kamara signing happened so early that I think the buzzhas worn off for some people but it was massive, I can’t wait to see carlos play as well. And even though we had him for half a season, after a full pre season I feel like coutinho will be brilliant this year. Bailey will hopefully improve on a rough first season too. There’s loads to be excited about

And Buendia. Our player of the season 22/23 incoming.  I think he is going to take the piss with how good he will be 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Obviously improvements could be done, but they wouldn't change the big picture. Other things matter more now  Gerrard has enough to play with to get us to Europe or close thereto.

He really doesn't and he really won't.  Our current squad is, at best, around 11th or 12th on paper.  The Sly 6, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves and Palace have better / more balanced squads.  Newcastle will continue to recruit.  Expecting SG to get us 7th with the current players is ridiculous.  He won't and then people will call for him to be sacked for "under-achieving" and try and bring in another manager who also won't get a team who are 11 / 12th best into the top 7.  We aren't a million miles away from those teams but I bet most of their fans will be saying that they should be finishing ahead of us.

I love how optimistic people are but sometimes a reality check is required.  If Gerrard gets us in the top half with the current squad he will have done really well.  He has a chance because a lot of the teams I mention above will be taking points off each other and are quite close in overall strength / ability.  We are definitely closer than we were but midfield is still a big concern.  If we don't recruit anyone else and finish 9th - 11th then that is sign of progress and probably moves us one season nearer to some of our youngsters being ready to make their mark.  But I can guarantee that if we are sat in 11th at Christmas - lots of people will be moaning that Gerrard hasn't made the progress that he should have done.  We still have too many players in and around the first team who were bought to keep us in the PL.  Put it this way - how many of our players would start for any of the Sly 6.  Probably none (apart from maybe Emi).  I don't see that West Ham, Leicester or even Wolves would be transformed by signing one or two of our players.  Whereas I think you could make a good case for us signing 2 players from any of those teams and suddenly having a realistic chance of being "best of the rest".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Romano is talking rubbish - in May he said Carney was off to Dortmund. The £20m figure is rubbish from Talksport. Tap-in merchant.

I don’t think he is, he reports on most leagues and breaks plenty of transfers

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Romano is talking rubbish - in May he said Carney was off to Dortmund. The £20m figure is rubbish from Talksport. Tap-in merchant.

He didn't say that at all.

And it not happening doesn't mean Dortmund didn't want him in May.

• Like 1

Just now, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

He didn't say that at all.

And it not happening doesn't mean Dortmund didn't want him in May.

He's obviously hinting at that - Dortmund press deny it and now he's recycling TalkSport. He doesn't know anything about our transfer dealings.

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

And Buendia. Our player of the season 22/23 incoming.  I think he is going to take the piss with how good he will be 

Always been a big fan, even early last season commented on how good he looked for us. I hope he starts every game 

• Like 3