Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Konsa and Chambers are defenders, they can't do the attacking job that Cash and Digne do. 

Guilbert will probably go

I thought Young was on the release list?

That leaves KKH, who as you say may not be ready. 

we absolutely need a back up RB

Konsa and Chambers can do the job, that's enough for a back up

I'm tempting fate here but the suggestion is that we need to buy a new back up to cover for the guy who played the most minutes in the PL last year? Yeah I think that's a waste of money personally, he gets suspended or misses 1 or 2 games then the other 2 or 3 players can do the job

If he does his ACL the day after the window shuts that's different but I don't think we buy a player just for that scenario

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Bale being linked.

Bale doesn’t want to play many games, just be fit for WC.

Digne will play most games.

Bale started as a left back.

Gerrard likes attacking left backs.

*Puts in either an It’s Happening gif or that one with all the algebra*

Edited by Adam2003

Say what you want about Chambers abilities attacking from RB. He's still played the same number of Premier League games at right back as Cash has. So in terms of RB cover for one season he is clearly capable cover for a player who never seems to be injured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I'm tempting fate here but the suggestion is that we need to buy a new back up to cover for the guy who played the most minutes in the PL last year? Yeah I think that's a waste of money personally, he gets suspended or misses 1 or 2 games then the other 2 or 3 game do the job

If he does his ACL the day after the window shuts that's different but I don't think we buy a player just for that scenario

Especially as we have KKH who is at most 12 months off being ready for Premier League

• Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

Especially as we have KKH who is at most 12 months off being ready for Premier League

Yeah I'd like him to get a sniff pre season personally, same as what we did in Jan, have a good look at him, put him alongside the 1st teamers and then near the end of the summer get him a loan and it will be a decent one because he'll have a lot of takers

I think he'll be really exciting pre season and there'll be a lot of arguing over him on here 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So someone quoting Fabrizio. Assume it was on a facebook live / podcast he said that. He does a few of those.

Think Luis has a direct line to Romano as they often feature together on podcasts and stuff. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I haven't seen us linked with any right backs.  Only full-backs i've seen linked with is Bassey, Sergio Gomez and Quentin Merlin who are all left-backs.  The lack of speculation around right-back means we will pull someone unknown out of the bag or are going with KKH.

Made a mistake mate, I meant the opposite of what I typed ffs 

I meant mostly linked with LEFT BACK backup🤦🏿

So makes me wonder if we think we are more than covered with Chambers/Konsa/KKH or is there even a path for Guibert?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'd like him to get a sniff pre season personally, same as what we did in Jan, have a good look at him, put him alongside the 1st teamers and then near the end of the summer get him a loan and it will be a decent one because he'll have a lot of takers

I think he'll be really exciting pre season and there'll be a lot of arguing over him on here 

Yeah I'd be inclined to Loan him end of the window as he'll get a couple of EFL cup games in I think and a full pre season with a Premier League squad, trying to defend against Coutinho and Watkins will be a very very steep learning curve for him and two different challenges. 

IF we need to recall him in Jan due to an injury to Cash then at least he'll have had half a season of the Championship under his belt. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm tempting fate here but the suggestion is that we need to buy a new back up to cover for the guy who played the most minutes in the PL last year? Yeah I think that's a waste of money personally, he gets suspended or misses 1 or 2 games then the other 2 or 3 players can do the job

Another 38 game season for Cash with a World Cup thrown in the middle, what could possibly go wrong?

28 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No as I edited in my original post, his goals aren't even included in here because he technically counts as a forward according to the database I used. I think its more accurate to say attacking players than forwards for my list.

The decomposition is actually 

Cash-4

Mcginn-3

Luiz-2

Konsa-2

Chambers-1

Targett-1

Mings-1

Hause-1.

15 goals total

Adding Ramsey into that list bumps it up to 22.

Seems pretty poor return for most of those players, I think only Cash seems ok

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Another 38 game season for Cash with a World Cup thrown in the middle, what could possibly go wrong?

Then we'd keep KKH at the club rather than loan him 

At best we'd get another Ashley Young in for 1 year because KKH is the future, I don't see us getting in say a £10m 24 year old on a 4 year deal as cover for cash, that doesn't make sense 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Seems pretty poor return for most of those players, I think only Cash seems ok

You're overestimating how many goals non-attackers score. For example, only Reece James has scored more goals than Cash this season as a full back.

The average goal rate for a centre back this season is 0.05 per 90. Or, if they played every minute of the season, only 1.9 goals the entire season. For full backs its 1.52 goals. For center mids(DMs included), its 3.8. Its not a lot.

Edit: For anyone interested, the corresponding values for attacking mids/wingers is 9.5. For strikers its 11.78. If this seems a bit high considering these are supposed to only be average values, its because the vast majority of wingers and strikers never end up playing anything close to a full season. It does leave certain players sorely underrated in terms of their goal return. I mentioned earlier about Michail Antonio not getting the goalscoring plaudits because of the amount of time he's missed through injury. For both the 19-20 and 20-21 season, he played barely above half the season in minutes. Yet he still managed 10 goals in both seasons. Imagine if he were fit the entire season for these seasons.

Gabriel Jesus is another one. In his case, he's suffering from Man City's depth of attacking options and their need to rotate. By minutes, he has never played more than 60 percent of the entire season in his entire time at City. Yet at his peak, he still managed to get 14 goals. But I digress.

Lukaku is another one. I'm not saying he's had a good season, far from it, but I don't think people realize how little he(or any individual Chelsea forward) has actually played this season. His goal return is a bit more defendable in that context.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well he'll likely play 4 games and then have a break as Poland go out in the 2nd round. 

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You're overestimating how many goals non-attackers score. For example, only Reece James has scored more goals than Cash this season as a full back.

The average goal rate for a centre back this season is 0.05 per 90. Or, if they played every minute of the season, only 1.9 goals the entire season. For full backs its 1.52 goals. For center mids(DMs included), its 3.8. Its not a lot.

Wow, just feels like other teams CB’s occasionally score on set pieces and ours just don’t but I guess based on the stats that’s not true.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I can't see us signing a mid-aged striker.....it will be very young or very old.

Ollie and Danny will be trusted with the main bulk of the games IMO.....Assuming with the better midfield, they will be more consistent.

Someone will be brought in to mix it up a bit and give us some variety for options.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Wow, just feels like other teams CB’s occasionally score on set pieces and ours just don’t but I guess based on the stats that’s not true.  Thanks for the info.

Off the top of my head......I would have suspected the same as you Nick.

• Like 1