Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

With Ings, Watkins and Archer we have *decent* striker options but that could always be improved upon. Therefore, I imagine the club are shopping around for a opportune good deal rather than actively targeting the position as a priority. The central midfielder position is the role I think we are targeting heavily as it is much more of a priority to me. 

We need more than those 3. If one is Injured and we want to play 2 up front. We've the same issue if we make a sub we have to change formation.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeah there’s a serious lack of options for strikers out there, I’m not sure we’ll be buying anyone this window. Perhaps a Suarez or similar wouldn’t be a bad idea after all…

That sort of striker would be idea on a 12 month contract

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Explain because there seems to be confusion around this and im not sure what people are seeing? 

The question was: "If there is a striker that's clearly better than our current forwards, and would come to us, and cost 40m please inform the rest of us."

Nunez does not in anyway fit this criteria. He is clearly better than our current forwards but - 

He would not come to us, he's going to a top team

He's does not cost 40m, looks like he's going for around 100m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Even if the fees to the player/agent for a “free transfer” work out to be the same as a transfer fee for the selling club, there’s probably a way to make this more beneficial for us in terms of FFP isn’t there?

I know that agent fees go in the accounts, and I’m speculating rather than suggesting that Purslow is in the business of unscrupulous back handers, but it must be easier to channel some of that money to a player/agent in other ways which are not possible when paying a transfer fee that the selling club will need to book as profit.

11 minutes ago, zak said:

I don't think is as much of a bargain as you think. 

There would have been many other teams trying to sign him and so we would have had to be at the top of those offers.

If he would be worth 40m at a team, then that's what his agent would be looking for.

The savings you make from a free transfer is the difference between that players market value and the extra money the team would look for if he was contracted. I.e JWP on a free would have been cheaper than what Southampton were pushing for.

Your giving ruthless agents a disservice if you think they aren't getting very close to a players market value for their player on a free

Your also giving Purslow/Lange disservice.  While I don’t disagree Kamara would be getting a huge signing on fee even £10-20m, he wouldn’t be getting for example £40m.  He will be getting most of the excess value in his wages over his contract plus bonuses so he would be getting for example £125k per week with us whereas normally he’d only likely get £80k per week.  So there is some protection for us money doesn’t go out of the door straight away and we can sell him in a couple of years if it doesn’t work out.

I still think a 22 year old, now French international on a free transfer and all that entails financial wise is a bargain compared to an equivalent that we would’ve had to buy with a transfer fee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Ollie and Ings haven't exactly been setting the world on fire with their play this season either.

Hence we are probably looking for a striker.

I never said they did. 

Reading comprehension on this website is at an all time low. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Would people be happy with Ben Brereton Díaz for about 20m/25m. Would that give us a worthwhile extra option next season or would it just be adding to the numbers and not offering much real value to us

Just use Archer.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Your also giving Purslow/Lange disservice.  While I don’t disagree Kamara would be getting a huge signing on fee even £10-20m, he wouldn’t be getting for example £40m.  He will be getting most of the excess value in his wages over his contract plus bonuses so he would be getting for example £125k per week with us whereas normally he’d only likely get £80k per week.  So there is some protection for us money doesn’t go out of the door straight away and we can sell him in a couple of years if it doesn’t work out.

I still think a 22 year old, now French international on a free transfer and all that entails financial wise is a bargain compared to an equivalent that we would’ve had to buy with a transfer fee.

I agree

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is where my head is currently at 

He could do a job off the bench, but for his own development I’d rather he play a full season at PNE then really challenge for a starting spot next summer. Would be a shame for him to only get minutes here and there this season.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

He could do a job off the bench, but for his own development I’d rather he play a full season at PNE then really challenge for a starting spot next summer. Would be a shame for him to only get minutes here and there this season.

That is the dilemma, would we be restricting his development if we brought him back to Villa to play this season. Would it be asking too much to think he could get a lot of game time through rotation and use as a sub?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Would people be happy with Ben Brereton Díaz for about 20m/25m. Would that give us a worthwhile extra option next season or would it just be adding to the numbers and not offering much real value to us

My concern would be possible more of the same 

• Like 1

With 5 subs I see Archer and others getting more games from the bench. If they are serious about another striker they will either spend big, get a loan or a short term deal with the idea to push Ings and Ollie. 

56 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

The transfer window SLAMS OPEN!!!

The transfer window isn’t slamming open, the police are still dusting it for prints as it has clearly been tampered with. Investigating officers have also found a collection of maps at the scene. Hopefully Johan and SG wore gloves. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Whilst I agree the development of young players is important and is very much part of the project for the future. However the priority for the club and any manager, will always be the short term objective of winning football matches. Otherwise there is no medium or long term future, certainly not for the manager anyway. Getting the balance right is the difficult trick they are all trying to achieve. Winning matches will always be the number 1 objective or us the fans will be the first to complain. 

• Like 1