Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

btw I wasnt advocating we sign the Paraguayan kid, my point was we never seem to be in this untapped potential market and would prefer to pay over the odds in 2 years  or so if they shine 

I just get annoyed at clubs picking up steals but we seem to always pay over the odds. The last player we got on a transfer steal was probably McGinn

Barry, Iroegbunam, swinkels, Bogarde, thorndike..etc

Edited by MrBlack

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Sorry @Zatman. These are all good points.

Of course they are but we all know these players that have been mentioned.

Not the point I was trying to make, was more the unknown gems we cant get or never get 

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He was worth buying for the 6/7 million PSV brought him for 2 years ago ...... like I said at the time.

He apparently has a release clause for 30m I'd prefer Bissouma for that.

What would your opinion be if I told you bissouma was going elsewhere?

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course they are but we all know these players that have been mentioned.

Not the point I was trying to make, was more the unknown gems we cant get or never get 

I add to my above list...finn azaz, kerr Smith, Ruben shakpoke, Ben chrisene, josh feeney

If there is a single thing you can't criticise our owners for...it is their signing of the hottest youth prospects in the market. 

Edited by MrBlack
Typos

We have some very highly rated defenders in our academy, Lamare Bogard and Swinkels both Netherland youth internationals, Swinkels has captained the U19s, Bogarde has played for us against first team players in the EFL Trophy and looked more than comfortable, so has Josh Feeney, and he's only just turned seventeen, he's also England youth captain, and has already made our first team bench, Aaron O'Reilly recently captained Ireland's U19s.

They won't all make it with us of course, but we've got highly rated academy players in every position

Edit: Also Kerr Smith

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

We don't need to sign a U23 defender at all, but we do actually need an attacker, as Archer, Brad Young, Barry, and Caleb, will all be going out on loan, of last season's second year scholars that will be U23 age next season, Dewain Sewall might be leaving, and Shakpoke has had his injury issues, younger players like Moore and Lutz haven't even played that much for our U18s yet. So us going for a striker to come straight into the U23s makes perfect sense to me.

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I add to my above list...finn azaz, kerr Smith, Ruben shakpoke, Ben chrisene, josh feeney

If there is a single thing you can't criticise our owners for...it is their signing of the hottest youth prospects in the market. 

again thats not the type of player I was mentioning either. The player Brighton signed has played international and continental football already.

They also signed Caicedo in another similar situation which we were probably nowhere to be seen

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

again thats not the type of player I was mentioning either. The player Brighton signed has played international and continental football already.

They also signed Caicedo in another similar situation which we were probably nowhere to be seen

C’mon mate, we signed Kamara on a free a newly capped young French international.  You can’t get better than that to your point!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He's going to cost them upwards of £5m (edit...make that 10m according to reports) If he fails, they get no resell value on him. He's too young not to be a gamble, and at 5m it's a fairly expensive one. 

We're signing 17yr olds before they make their full professional appearances for peanuts. It's a much better business model than Brighton are demonstrating.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

btw I wasnt advocating we sign the Paraguayan kid, my point was we never seem to be in this untapped potential market and would prefer to pay over the odds in 2 years  or so if they shine 

I just get annoyed at clubs picking up steals but we seem to always pay over the odds. The last player we got on a transfer steal was probably McGinn

I'm not sure that's true - as @The_Steve says, we maybe don't go abroad for those players but we've signed quite a few highly rated youngsters this season.  I guess notably:

Tim Iroegbunam
Josh Feeney
Ajani Burchall
Kerr Smith
Omari Kellyman

Even outside of those, we've signed another 8 or 9 young prospects and Iroegbunam has made his first team debut.

• Like 2

A lot have this fantasy of signing loads of hidden gems using data analysis or whatever, similar to Brentford and Brighton, but if you look at the actual succesful clubs the ones who are where we want to be, they haven't got their by signing unknowns and hoping they come good, as exciting as it might be to sign those kind of players, they've got there by signing established players, who are known because of how good they are.

I'm perfectly fine with us signing internationals like Digne, Kamara, and Coutinho, and so on, in terms of players with potential, we sign those for our academy in order to develop them.

Edited by useless

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

C’mon mate, we signed Kamara on a free a newly capped young French international.  You can’t get better than that to your point!

People knew who Kamara was, he was on the radar of nearly every club in Europe 

My point is going over peoples heads so its fine. Ill end it here