Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

if we were big enough to offer him a clean slate and let bygones go by, then would Targett be reasonable backup for Digne this season?. He did well for Newcastle.

I guess maybe the argument against it will be that

a) he's been a bit of a tool since going to Newcastle (can put that down to Stockholm syndrome perhaps)

b) he was in stinkin form when he last played for us

c) showed poor character and bottled the fight for his place

d) doesnt have the mobility/ speed to fit our advanced fullback strategy 

However at least we know what we are getting

Transfer window opens this Friday, things should start happening then.

Not sure where this sudden idea has come from that we haven't got any money, just because we've signed a few players on free transfers doesn't mean to say we haven't got any money, I'm sure if the right deal comes along we will smash our transfer record no problem.

Much interest in Trezeguet according to his agent, six goals and four assists in thirteen appearances at Istanbul Basaksehir FK so been a good loan spell for him, but just one year left on his contract, so we won't be getting a lot of money for him, still he's been more than worth whatever it is we paid for him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure where this sudden idea has come from that we haven't got any money, just because we've signed a few players on free transfers doesn't mean to say we haven't got any money, I'm sure if the right deal comes along we will smash our transfer record no problem.

Much interest in Trezeguet according to his agent, six goals and four assists in thirteen appearances at Istanbul Basaksehir FK so been a good loan spell for him, but just one year left on his contract, so we won't be getting a lot of money for him, still he's been more than worth whatever it is we paid for him.

Who said we haven’t got any money?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Daniel Sturridge released by Perth Glory 🤔

I give it 2 days before The Mirror links us to him

dea8ws6-e3cd5cf2-b17e-469d-9072-e76bfed2

The Birmingham mail are currently quoting you as we speak 

For the clickbait entitled…

“Villa expert links England star to Villa Park”

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

if we were big enough to offer him a clean slate and let bygones go by, then would Targett be reasonable backup for Digne this season?. He did well for Newcastle.

a) he's been a bit of a tool since going to Newcastle (can put that down to Stockholm syndrome perhaps)

Targett is more than good enough as back up (and indeed probably as first choice for most bottom half / mid table PL clubs), but he's already nailed his colours to the mast saying he wants to play regularly. He's had a bit of stick for it but I think it's fair enough if he wants to play, many other players get slated for being content picking up a wage not playing so in a sense it's refreshing to see the opposite. 

Personally I don't think we really need to push the boat out too much for a back up left back, realistically they aren't going to play often so it's probably best to go with the cheapest option who could do the job.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we are short of a few bob to be honest, however it is important to balance the books as we don't want to end up like Everton having to tighten their belts due to FFP after a period of overspending and underperforming. Or like us in the later Lerner years when he decided to stop funding the deficits. Obviously Grealish has given us a bit of a clean slate, for now, but we've still been spending like crazy since we were promoted and now appear to be willing to hand out some very big contracts too, I think the club has a strategy in all this so not a huge concern but we should still be sensible nonetheless

• Like 1

I don't want Moise Kean here, he has an ego the size of a planet without the ability to back it up, at least in the prem. I think he would consider birmingham to be beneath him and he strikes me as one of those jetsetting, world city types. This would be a bad fit for where we are trying to go under Gerrard, who wants humble and hardworking players. hope we don't get him

51 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Dosen't make sense though given Gerrard gave him a run of 10 starts and obviously concluded he isn't what he wants. Was going to say he only has 12 months left on deal but I assume he signed a new one during 20/21.

We got use out of him and he helped us to mid table prem so another we should be selling on now.

time to ship targett out, its unlikely he has a long term future here, regardless of whether newcastle buy him or not. his heart isnt in it anymore and the motivation to play his best for us will be gone. he deserves to play first team football somewhere and we could do better with the 15 - 20 mil invested in the first team. I do think he will end up at newcastle, but if not then it was a good half season he had there which will get him a move somewhere.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Maaan I’m in need of some embedded Tweets, 

I want some the them out going kind please. 

is it bad that there’s barely a whisper linking any of players away? 

There are very few rumours of any player transfers. The media are making as much noise as they can about players that are becoming out of contract and some other high profile players but other than that it is fairly quiet. The international break, player's holidays and the fact that the transfer window is not yet open are probably good reasons why there is very little new. We are just spoiled at Villa. We managed to convert two loans to permanent, a free transfer of a player out of contract and we obviously agreed with Carlos to buy out the remainder of his contract to be able to sign him outside of the window. 

When the internationals are over I expect we will see things heating up and a little excitement

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There are very few rumours of any player transfers. The media are making as much noise as they can about players that are becoming out of contract and some other high profile players but other than that it is fairly quiet. The international break, player's holidays and the fact that the transfer window is not yet open are probably good reasons why there is very little new. We are just spoiled at Villa. We managed to convert two loans to permanent, a free transfer of a player out of contract and we obviously agreed with Carlos to buy out the remainder of his contract to be able to sign him outside of the window. 

When the internationals are over I expect we will see things heating up and a little excitement

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886mjhk7rn3xv742pd4b4