Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

A high chance of BS, but reports in Italy are saying we have been llinked with a move for Koulibaly.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/napoli/?action=read&idnet=dHV0dG9uYXBvbGkubmV0LTUwMjEwNg

Not only purchases, certain goodbyes, contracts that will not be renewed and written departures. Napoli has a real treasure at home and this is demonstrated by the many requests that the big names of Aurelio De Laurentiis' club are receiving during these weeks. On Victor Osimhen  they took place under Newcastle and Everton. For Kalidou Koulibaly  always the Toffees as well as Aston Villa and Tottenham. For  Fabian Ruiz , that Carlo Ancelotti would like to Real Madrid, there have been polls from Newcastle, Arsenal and Atletico Madrid which also requested Giovanni Di Lorenzo and it is not to be excluded that proposals may also arrive for Amir Rrahmani, Stanislav Lobotka and Hirving Lozano. Tuttomercatoweb writes it 

Now I'm sure I've seen that Tuttomercato are not very reliable, plus I'm sure he'll have majority of teams in Europe wanting to secure his signature. I could get behind us signing Koulibaly though if it were possible, he's 30 but he has tons of experience playing at a high level and in Europe. I think it's a no brainer really, just depends on how much he'd cost us.

Koulibaly would be a huge yes even if he's 31 in the summer.

His contract runs out next year though, he's been linked to Barca and Man U over last couple Windows and - crucially - also been said to be negotiating a new deal at Napoli, so whilst I'm not sure why our name would be used considering the others, I'd lean to it being contract negotiations and agent rubbish

• Like 1

In the current formation, if we persist with it that is, I see us looking at a window of (minimum)....

---------------------------New----------------------------
-------------Coutinho------Buendia----------------
--------Ramsey---------------------McGinn--------
--------------------------New------------------------------
Digne-----------Mings---New--------------Cash
-----------------------Martinez--------------------------

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I honestly don't know what to expect this transfer window. I want to be enthusiastic, but then I remember our activity from last Summer and it fills me with dread. Not least because it showed a lack of preparation and footballing expertise within the club. I had very little hope at the start of the season as some posters on here can attest to. Here's why. 

Top Line: The club didn't know/expect Grealish was leaving. And that fuc**d everything. 

We went into the window in a strong position. Genuine challengers to the top 8, one of the best players in the world, and off the back of a really good points haul - albeit we finished 11th. 
The window started excellently. We bought Buendia who I know still divides opinion on here, but it was an excellent signing given we beat Arsenal to his signature. We had someone to complement Grealish on the right side and he slotted almost immediately into our 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation. At this point, I was expecting another solid window.
The club then gets word Grealish is leaving, something they didn't expect given the exposure they gave him during the kit launch, and they panic. We then go and sign Bailey - a player who prefers to play on the right hand side and in exactly the same position as Buendia plays? Why? We already have Buendia there and Traore, who, I don't rate but understand he has a place in the squad and is probably a reasonable back up. Bailey is an exciting talent but he doesn't fit. 
We then go and sign Ings. Why? This goes against everything the club wants to do in terms of sell on value, reasonable wages, long contracts etc. We can argue on here all day about having two good strikers at the club, but we're an 11th place team with some glaring deficiencies in other areas of the side that need urgent attention. Why go and sign another striker to compete with your record signing off the back of a very strong season playing as a lone striker? It's a panic move and it's a bad decision. 

After Grealish leaves, we then hear the famous Purslow interview about signing Ings, Bailey and Buendia to statistically replace Grealish' output. We don't sign any more players and the window shuts. We're left with two right sided forwards and a striker who doesn't suit our system. We haven't actually bought a left sided player to replace Grealish and we haven't bought any midfielders - an area that obviously needed improving. The season starts and everything mentioned above, becomes a problem for Smith. We start playing different formations to accommodate Ings and Watkins who play awfully together. We're playing Buendia as a 10 and everything we'd built the season before, had crumbled to try and accommodate and justify a downright awful transfer window. Oh, and teams are still walking through our central midfield - Imagine the shock!

What we should have done when Grealish left is spend the money on a left sided forward to replace him. Play Buendia on the right where he's excelled for Norwich and sign two new central midfielders to sure us up in the middle of the park. It was painfully obvious to see at the time and doesn't fall into the category of 'hindsight is a wonderful thing'. It was fu**ng obvious at the time. The squad was left with a massive imbalance. Two 'top' strikers, three/four right sided forwards, no left sided forward and no defensively capable midfielders. 

That's why I'm nervous about this Summer window. We sign players that we don't need, that don't fit a system and we continue to neglect areas of the side that desperately need improvement. 
Honestly, if we don't sign at least two defensively minded midfielders then you can forget any kind of success next season. 

Rant over. Sorry for the long post. Like I've said before, this Summer will at least be exciting even if it's reckless. 

I have you spot on.

The positive this year is that we do seem to be making our priority - albeit it is only press talk I accept - to sign a very good player in the CDM area, if you believe the links to Phillips, Kondogbia, Bissouma etc..  Equally, we seem to be linked with a new CB and a back up LB - both deals are key.  We now seem to targeting the right positions and the right quality of signings to make the squad competitive at the right end of the table.

Anything on top, other than Kessler, Cam and JPB returning, I suspect, will depend upon outgoings.

16 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

The positive this year is that we do seem to be making our priority - albeit it is only press talk I accept - to sign a very good player in the CDM area, if you believe the links to Phillips, Kondogbia, Bissouma etc..  Equally, we seem to be linked with a new CB and a back up LB - both deals are key.  We now seem to targeting the right positions and the right quality of signings to make the squad competitive at the right end of the table.

Just you wait until Martinez unexpectedly leaves and we replace him with the opportunistic signings of a right back and new number 10 along with Coutinho just before the transfer windows crashes closed.

31 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Koulibaly would be a huge yes even if he's 31 in the summer.

His contract runs out next year though, he's been linked to Barca and Man U over last couple Windows and - crucially - also been said to be negotiating a new deal at Napoli, so whilst I'm not sure why our name would be used considering the others, I'd lean to it being contract negotiations and agent rubbish

He has had a pretty poor season compared to his previous seasons at Napoli. Had a nightmare that pretty much killed Napoli title hopes last weekend

• Haha 1

EDIT: Should have checked the thread, i'm way behind.

Aston Villa make shock ‘request’ over £58m transfer - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Kalidou Koulibaly the Senegalese central defender who plays for Napoli is another player being mentioned as a possible target for ston villa, coming from Rai Sport TV network

Is there a season, sillier than silly season?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Transfer windows are usually quite painful but this summer will be a new record in that respect. Every news outlet knows Villa are looking to strenghten and that we have a famous ex Liverpool manager, but the Coutinho loan was the real catalyst. Hundreds of players on expiring contracts will be linked to us.

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

A high chance of BS, but reports in Italy are saying we have been llinked with a move for Koulibaly.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/napoli/?action=read&idnet=dHV0dG9uYXBvbGkubmV0LTUwMjEwNg

Not only purchases, certain goodbyes, contracts that will not be renewed and written departures. Napoli has a real treasure at home and this is demonstrated by the many requests that the big names of Aurelio De Laurentiis' club are receiving during these weeks. On Victor Osimhen  they took place under Newcastle and Everton. For Kalidou Koulibaly  always the Toffees as well as Aston Villa and Tottenham. For  Fabian Ruiz , that Carlo Ancelotti would like to Real Madrid, there have been polls from Newcastle, Arsenal and Atletico Madrid which also requested Giovanni Di Lorenzo and it is not to be excluded that proposals may also arrive for Amir Rrahmani, Stanislav Lobotka and Hirving Lozano. Tuttomercatoweb writes it 

Now I'm sure I've seen that Tuttomercato are not very reliable, plus I'm sure he'll have majority of teams in Europe wanting to secure his signature. I could get behind us signing Koulibaly though if it were possible, he's 30 but he has tons of experience playing at a high level and in Europe. I think it's a no brainer really, just depends on how much he'd cost us.

Isn’t tuttimercatoweb one of the lowest in terms of reliability on their reporting?

56 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Kalidou Koulibaly is 30 years of age so would be a great signing for Gerrards Old boys

CB is one of those positions you can not only get away with an older player but that is actively required at times of the season though. I don't want lots of 30yr olds but Koulibaly or the previous discussion of De Vrij. 

Absolutely worth it.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

CB is one of those positions you can not only get away with an older player but that is actively required at times of the season though. I don't want lots of 30yr olds but Koulibaly or the previous discussion of De Vrij. 

Absolutely worth it.

De Vrij would be the better defender of the 2 at the moment though I worry about De Vrij as he has mainly played in a back 3 for the last 8 years or so