Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Gomez is a no from me. Terrible injury record and in all honesty if Liverpool thought he had any potential they wouldn’t be selling him - nor would they have replaced him with the recent big money signing of Konate and he’d have simply played more games this season 

I would have taken him as back up, but we’ve already signed Chambers, and presumably he’d cost something stupid like 20m

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Gomez is a no from me. Terrible injury record and in all honesty if Liverpool thought he had any potential they wouldn’t be selling him - nor would they have replaced him with the recent big money signing of Konate and he’d have simply played more games this season 

I would have taken him as back up, but we’ve already signed Chambers, and presumably he’d cost something stupid like 20m

What if it was some sort of structured deal where they get a certain amount only if he plays a certain amount of games?

For example £10m up front, further £5m after 25 games, further £5m after £50, further £5m after 75 games, or something along those lines?

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What if it was some sort of structured deal where they get a certain amount only if he plays a certain amount of games?

For example £10m up front, further £5m after 25 games, further £5m after £50, further £5m after 75 games, or something along those lines?

If he was some sort of defensive god - but plagued by injuries then such a deal may be feasible.

Also if he unavailable for proportions of the season then saving £5 or £6m on the fee really doesn't help.

Not really convinced he is better than what we have. It would be a brave move by Stevie G to go out on a limb for Joe Gomez.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i just say people use to say that about mings when he got that bog injury? We don't know that. Its speculating that hia body is gone.

True.

But we had Ming's on loan - who played like a hero for us - before we handed what at the time seemed like a breathtaking amount of cash.

The irony for the discussion is Bournemouth spent that cash on a load of Liverpool reserves.......and subsequently got relegated .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he was some sort of defensive god - but plagued by injuries then such a deal may be feasible.

Also if he unavailable for proportions of the season then saving £5 or £6m on the fee really doesn't help.

Not really convinced he is better than what we have. It would be a brave move by Stevie G to go out on a limb for Joe Gomez.

Well if SG wants him, he’ll go for him. So would you rather pay £10m + instalments that might never be paid? Or £30m up front?

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well if SG wants him, he’ll go for him. So would you rather pay £10m + instalments that might never be paid? Or £30m up front?

I remember God (aka Paul Mc Grath ) coming to Villa with ‘dodgy knees’. Big difference in ability but just shows how some injury problems are manageable - this is one for the medics.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

That’s obviously in our benefit but I doubt Liverpool would agree on any significant portion of the fee being contingent on that amount of games.

I’m not so concerned about his outright availability for matches, but more so on his actual quality as a player after such injuries and the long term damage they may have done. A fully fit Gomez is possibly better than Mings and Konsa but I’m not sure by a significant enough margin to fundamentally change the dynamics of our team. But if he has permanently lost peak fitness/ability then he might realistically be significantly worse than Mings / Konsa - and then on top of that there’s the risk he could get injured again and miss a season.

It seems to me that the potential upside gain is quite limited but the downside risks are significant which is why I’d avoid, regardless of fee or payment structure. We already have a young-ish English centre back and although he’s been out of form recently, the fact Konsa has started 60 PL games in the last two seasons vs Gomez’s 8 would put our lad ahead in my opinion. Gomez has also never started more than 22 league games a season, Konsa has done more than that every season with us and at Brentford and Charlton - they are both the same age and one hasn’t shown signs of severe injury problems 

Edited by david-avfc

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We're being linked with swoops for Darwin Núñez and Borussia Mönchengladbach centre back Matthias Ginter. So time to stop droning on and on about Gomez and Suarez.

There is 0% chance we get Nunez. Benfica want €80m for him. He’s beyond our reach.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Based on Liverpools frankly excellent record at selling players it won't be a deal that lands even close to being on villas side of good

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Based on Liverpools frankly excellent record at selling players it won't be a deal that lands even close to being on villas side of good

Apart from Coutinho and Suarez, the only other player the sold for big money was Torres. They’ve had plenty of transfer flops too, Andy Carroll, Benteke.

Sign me up for Ginter. For no real reason in particular I started keeping an eye on Mochengladbach a few seasons ago, particularly around the time when the Bundesliga was the first major league to start back up during the pandemic and he's always been a key cog in what has been an impressive team up until this season where things have started to go a bit stale for them (as well as some other key figures leaving). Good experience, captain, quality footballer and available on a free - almost certainly too good to be true and will end up going to Bayern or Inter or a team like that.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Apart from Coutinho and Suarez, the only other player the sold for big money was Torres. They’ve had plenty of transfer flops too, Andy Carroll, Benteke.

Brewster, ibe, solanke, the keeper they sold to Leicester, wilson to fulham, £28m for sakho to Palace 

Liverpool are the best team in the league at selling their players imo 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Brewster, ibe, solanke, the keeper they sold to Leicester, wilson to fulham, £28m for sakho to Palace 

Liverpool are the best team in the league at selling their players imo 

They pretty much broke even on Benteke as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Obviously the 2nd. But:-

1.we don't know that such a deal is on offer.

2.not many transfers by any club, anywhere are paid in full up front. Installments is the norm.