Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If McGinn does replace Pogba then I'd move for Wijnaldum and Pape Matar Sarr or Aurélien Tchouameni and we'd probably pocket some too.

Also, how good would it be if Brighton do move for Ings and we go in for Tammy?!

MU: What do we want? A consistent midfielder! Who shall we sell? Pogba! Who shall we sign? McGinn... Oh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

The challenge is who will take Trez and AEG??  They are on decent money for a Turkish buyer for example.

Trez will always have a residual value because of the support he brings with him - commercially, the addition of all of those Egyptian fans he brings along gives you the value for his wages - plus, thankfully he's been scoring goals in Turkey on his loan - I reckon we could still make a profit on him.

El Ghazi is a bit harder to predict, he can point to a double digit Premier league scoring season and he does make things happen, but it's always been difficult to get a real feel on how good he is or isn't - we'll get something for him though, he's in that price range where loads of clubs are looking for players.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Also why would they want to sign him. I would happily sell McGinn to United if a deal was on the table

I think a number of clubs would be willing to take him off our hands at what they considered, was the right price. He is one of our most highly rated players. Fortunately, (in my opinion) I think that SG sees him that way too, so I doubt that he will be going anywhere. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seeing we are linked to Paul Pogba this morning along with Newcastle 🤣

Just imagine the nonsense they'll come up with once the transfer window opens. It's still only March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Trez will always have a residual value because of the support he brings with him - commercially, the addition of all of those Egyptian fans he brings along gives you the value for his wages - plus, thankfully he's been scoring goals in Turkey on his loan - I reckon we could still make a profit on him.

El Ghazi is a bit harder to predict, he can point to a double digit Premier league scoring season and he does make things happen, but it's always been difficult to get a real feel on how good he is or isn't - we'll get something for him though, he's in that price range where loads of clubs are looking for players.

I think that's bullish to expect a profit on Trez (I assume you mean we'll get back more than we paid?).

I think El Ghazi is really tough.  I don't think the loan to Everton was very smart without an obligation to buy (unless they paid us a huge loan fee which I doubt) as his lack of appearances for them have probably reduced his value.  I think his skill set is much more suited to a slower more technical league like Italy or Spain.

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think that's bullish to expect a profit on Trez (I assume you mean we'll get back more than we paid?).

I think El Ghazi is really tough.  I don't think the loan to Everton was very smart without an obligation to buy (unless they paid us a huge loan fee which I doubt) as his lack of appearances for them have probably reduced his value.  I think his skill set is much more suited to a slower more technical league like Italy or Spain.

I think we paid £8.75m for Trez - and I really wouldn't be surprised if we got more than that from a sale, not a lot more admittedly!

I agree on El Ghazi, it doesn't look like a smart loan, but I think we could pick up £4-6m from a Serie A side where I think he could do really well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Seeing we are linked to Paul Pogba this morning along with Newcastle 🤣

A big no thanks from me.

If people think Phillips is Injury prone check out this guy.

unknown.png

I always get the impression he can never be arsed for Man U so why would he turn up for us.

Let Newcastle pay him 300k a week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

A big no thanks from me.

If people think Phillips is Injury prone check out this guy.

unknown.png

I always get the impression he can never be arsed for Man U so why would he turn up for us.

Let Newcastle pay him 300k a week.

He's on £350k at United, so i'd imagine he'll be looking £400k a week wherever he ends up. 

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

We have conspired a real mess in midfield, it’s shocking to think we bought Sanson but now don’t play him, have allowed the Carney situation to degrade (his agent is as culpable as any), don’t know what to do with Luiz and keep playing McGinn who after 3 years in the premier league, has yet to live up to the hype. 

Surely our squad allows for Traore and Bailey to remain? We were bemoaning a small squad and little real options from the bench and now we are suggesting they are sold just because Buendia and Coutinho are ahead of them? 

For me it’s one of Luiz/McGinn /Sanson and buy a new DM, and maybe another statuesque, top drawer CM. I would also consider a new forward if we sell Traore. But that’s it in those areas. I think we need a new CB too, a real top drawer one - break the bank. That’s probably not £possible but that’s what it needs

Well when Sanson joined it looked like our midfield three was going to be Sanson Luiz McGinn. The rise of Ramsey in conjunction with Sansons injury woes last year contributed to fact our current 3 have been here since first season after we got promoted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

As soon as Smith was let go, next season was always going to be transition.  I always hear this “continuity” phrase used and that we keep the overall style and doesn’t matter who the manager is it will not need major change but we know apart from a few cases at clubs in the PL, if the club has money you see change.

Purslow and the Owners will want European place next season and that will be the goal and the changes might get that but I doubt there will only be a few changes of players in the summer.  A new manager, the way the squad has played for 18 months and wanting the next level in the league indicates movement plus Purslow has said it’s going to be a big summer.  That to me only indicates players moving because I don’t know what else he could be talking about.

Well tbf our squad is a decent fit for the way Gerrard wants to play. 

Only real issue is the wide forwards in Bailey and Traore don't really fit the narrow two 10s. Targett wasn't attacking enough for full back. We've had a gap in relation to CDM and we need a ball playing CB.

There is continuity

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we paid £8.75m for Trez - and I really wouldn't be surprised if we got more than that from a sale, not a lot more admittedly!

I agree on El Ghazi, it doesn't look like a smart loan, but I think we could pick up £4-6m from a Serie A side where I think he could do really well.

Yeah agreed on El Ghazi, he'll be a good fit for Serie A. Trez it'd be tough getting the 8m back as he only has a year left on his deal. We should get around the 5m mark I'd say

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Well tbf our squad is a decent fit for the way Gerrard wants to play. 

Only real issue is the wide forwards in Bailey and Traore don't really fit the narrow two 10s. Targett wasn't attacking enough for full back. We've had a gap in relation to CDM and we need a ball playing CB.

There is continuity

Not sure I agree.  We dont have ball playing CB's that Gerrard wants, our CB's try but they arent those type of defenders.  We had to buy Digne to replace Targett.  Cash works.  We dont have proper deep lying midfielders so Dougie is doing it with us looking to replace (Bissouma Jan bid).  We had to bring in Coutinho.  We dont have a striker that suits Gerrards system and we arent sure if he wants two 10's or two 9's or a 10 and a 9.  Then we have players on that dont fit the system like Traore, Trez and El Ghazi to mention some.  Then others that dont fit like Sanson, Targett and Davis, and the jury is out whether Bailey fits Gerrards system.  

So we dont have ball playing CB's, we didnt have the right type of LB so Digne was brought in, Cash looks like he fits, Midfield seems an area that doesnt fit what he wants as we dont have a deep lying midfielder and rumours are we after a number 8.  Then he's brought in Coutinho and thus Buendia is struggling now to find his place in the team despite being one of our better players and our strikers dont seem to fit the system. 

So no our squad isnt a decent fit for the way Gerrard wants to play.  It seems like it should but the devil is in the detail and falls well short

• Thanks 1

Even Man C and Pep has been playing without a striker for the last season (partly by choice perhaps) because they don't have one.

Gerrard is never going to be given a squad perfectly suited to how he want's to play. Not here anyway. If the tactic is so rigid that it needs perfect pieces then we will fail and should move on.

Surely the tactic can be tweaked to work with what we have for the rest of the season and then a bit more in the summer with a few signings. If we need a rebuild in the summer then I'm not sure we have the right guy(s) in charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mings, Konsa and Chambers are surely all decent ball playing centre backs? Mings especially. Chambers capable of contributing to build up phase. Konsa while no needle threader does push the ball forward into attack when there is no ideal options and our opponents give him license, and while that doesn't really qualify him as a ball playing defender, he does oftentimes execute to good effect. 

I'm guessing the consensus is that this is not an accurate statement though, or that they are not contributing to some system of play SG has in mind I'm not aware to.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Even Man C and Pep has been playing without a striker for the last season (partly by choice perhaps) because they don't have one.

Gerrard is never going to be given a squad perfectly suited to how he want's to play. Not here anyway. If the tactic is so rigid that it needs perfect pieces then we will fail and should move on.

Surely the tactic can be tweaked to work with what we have for the rest of the season and then a bit more in the summer with a few signings. If we need a rebuild in the summer then I'm not sure we have the right guy(s) in charge.

Yes!!

Was thinking exactly this. Wasn't brave enough to post it though, so thanks, glad to see others with this view.

Add to this, we've an abundance of talent deep into the bench. Some of these guys should not be keeping the pine warm. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Mings, Konsa and Chambers are surely all decent ball playing centre backs? Mings especially. Chambers capable of contributing to build up phase. Konsa while no needle threader does push the ball forward into attack when there is no ideal options and our opponents give him license, and while that doesn't really qualify him as a ball playing defender, he does oftentimes execute to good effect. 

I'm guessing the consensus is that this is not an accurate statement though, or that they are not contributing to some system of play SG has in mind I'm not aware to.

I love Mings but he’s not a ball playing CB and Konsa isn’t.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sne said:

While I agree somewhat, Pep chose to not have a striker or at least he was involved somewhat and the reason they don’t have a striker.  The squad he has is the one he has built up over many seasons so I’m not sure it’s like for like with Gerrard who has come in as a new manager with a squad that’s been very inconsistent for over 12 months, sacked a manager because of results from the same squad, the manager has his own ideas and these aren’t his players and the owners want to play at the next level and not this level.  

Yes no squad will be perfect but Pep has built his squad, one of the best in the world whereas this isn’t Gerrard’s squad and the owners want a higher level of placings.

Obviously the board and owners think they have the right guy and probably knew he was likely to make whatever changes he’s going to make in any discussions they had.

He played with a CB pairing of Goldson and Helander at Rangers right? Did he use them as ball playing CB's or did he use Steven Davis to drop deep and pick up the ball?