Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

This idea that he plays for Juve and therefore walks into our team is laughable tbh. They’re 5th in a division weaker than the PL. 

They’re probably the equivalent to Spurs or Arsenal in the PL if not worse. Would Oliver Skipp and Harry Winks start for us? Would Lokonga and Xhaka start for us? Hell, would McTominay and Fred start for us?

Im sure people will put forward a case that they would but come on, really? The fact that he starts for Juve doesn’t bother me at all. 

He’s not a defensive midfielder and even his last manager spoke publicly about it. I just don’t think he’ll improve us and I think we’ll be trying to further improve on the position again in 12 months time. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This idea that he plays for Juve and therefore walks into our team is laughable tbh. They’re 5th in a division weaker than the PL. 

They’re probably the equivalent to Spurs or Arsenal in the PL if not worse. Would Oliver Skipp and Harry Winks start for us? Would Lokonga and Xhaka start for us? Hell, would McTominay and Fred start for us?

Im sure people will put forward a case that they would but come on, really? The fact that he starts for Juve doesn’t bother me at all. 

He’s not a defensive midfielder and even his last manager spoke publicly about it. I just don’t think he’ll improve us and I think we’ll be trying to further improve on the position again in 12 months time. 

I think it’s more about the qualities of the player than the team. We finished 11th last year but Grealish would have got in to most PL starting line ups… and with Buendia, he got promoted with Norwich but improved our side massively.

Not saying that’s the case here but  I think the quality of the player rather than the side they’ve come from is the most important 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Based on?

A seemingly obsessive insistence that the player is shite, worth less than a packet of polos, and unworthy of the mighty Aston Villa. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeah like they didn't beat Chelsea recently or anything did they? People get a bit carried away with just how far ahead the Premier League might be. Fact is we don't have a 6, so a decent 6 starts for us. Bentancur is more than just a decent 6. Bentancur is better than either of the Spurs players, Lokonga is more of an 8, Xhaka would probably start as a 6 for us to be honest as would McTominay whilst Fred is more forward thinking.

As for the bold bit, he absolutely is a defensive midfielder, he played there for Boca and he does for Uruguay and he's said it's his natural position.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He is a defensive midfielder though. Re-watch Sundays game and his standout attributes were passing, tackling and reading of the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Yeah like they didn't beat Chelsea recently or anything did they? People get a bit carried away with just how far ahead the Premier League might be. Fact is we don't have a 6, so a decent 6 starts for us. Bentancur is more than just a decent 6. Bentancur is better than either of the Spurs players, Lokonga is more of an 8, Xhaka would probably start as a 6 for us to be honest as would McTominay whilst Fred is more forward thinking.

As for the bold bit, he absolutely is a defensive midfielder, he played there for Boca and he does for Uruguay and he's said it's his natural position.

Snap!

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And this completely undermines your views on the whole matter.  Juve are the equivalent of Spurs or Arsenal????  Give me a ****ing break.  They have won Serie A in 9 of the last 10 seasons, finished 4th last season (missing second by 1 point) and have got to at least the quarter finals of the Champions League 4 times in the last 7 years.  The only English club with a better record in terms of quarter final appearances or better over the same period is Manchester City (and only Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich can match them in terms of non-English clubs).  At the very worst they are the equivalent of Chelsea and yes every single midfield player in the Chelsea first team would walk into our starting XI without even a second thought.

Edited by allani
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And how many of our players would walk into the Juventus team????  I'll give you a clue.  The answer is 1.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure some people just don't like the price. If he was costing £35m then they'd be more comfortable with it. 

i really think that's a factor. 16m is such a small fee these days everyone's immediate reaction is "whats wrong with him?"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we’ll be trying to further improve on the position again in 12 months time. 

Isn't that the process though? We're not going to buy or attract top 4 players all the time. We finished 11th last year and we are 11th now. Its about improving our team and squad. 

Bentancur, from the stats provided, absolutely improves us in a position we are currently weak. He's a regular in a team far better than us and is a winner, which helps improve the culture at the club. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â