• Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Coutinho 74)
    • Ings (Watkins 79)
    • Hause (Buendía 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/01/22 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

I discovered this button when they were using fake crowd sounds.

I have discovered if u push the button the other way the volume goes up. This is really useful when the Mrs is asking you to do stuff when u are trying to listen to SSN. You are able to turn the volume up loud enough to drown out the Mrs nagging. Brilliant invention 

Thought we were far better organised yesterday, with players covering each other and willing to be open for a pass. The coutinho and buendia partnership looked promising and time will see the blend with watkins develop into a potent force i hope. That was mings best game for time and when he is in that mood we have the captain we want and the defence to keep a clean sheet. We played as a team and were hard to break down for a change i think stevie is starting to make his mark.

13 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Even the best ref's will make the odd incorrect decision. Today, he annoyed me in the first half as I think he could have let the game flow a little better. But with regard to the key decisions he got them all right and the result wasn't influenced by poor referring. To me that is the key barometer for the performance of a ref. 

Peter. I'd agree  you are right about the key decisions, and I'm grateful for once to have a ref who didn't ultimately influence the outcome.  But that still doesn't mean his performance was acceptable - just not as bad as some of the shockers we've had to endure.  There were quite a few obvious mistakes like giving/not giving  corners and throws given the wrong way (for both teams) that had me wondering if he could see straight.  The incident where he yellow carded Mings happened a few feet in front of him and was as clear as day a foul on Mings.  Mings jumped for the ball and was backed into and taken out mid air, which also endangered him.  He gave Everton another one first half when Richarlison was clearly backing into Mings or Konsa rather than being pulled or held.  And the non-foul on Ramsey running through when he was clearly kicked.  Too easily conned I think.  And despite ultimately not influencing the outcome, he seemed to be doing his best by adding 5 minutes from nowhere, and then playing an extra one on top giving Everton one final chance from a corner.  You may rate that as acceptable,  I think it's a sign of the appalling standards we are used to that some people do, and I'll have to disagree.   

28 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Peter. I'd agree  you are right about the key decisions, and I'm grateful for once to have a ref who didn't ultimately influence the outcome.  But that still doesn't mean his performance was acceptable - just not as bad as some of the shockers we've had to endure.  There were quite a few obvious mistakes like giving/not giving  corners and throws given the wrong way (for both teams) that had me wondering if he could see straight.  The incident where he yellow carded Mings happened a few feet in front of him and was as clear as day a foul on Mings.  Mings jumped for the ball and was backed into and taken out mid air, which also endangered him.  He gave Everton another one first half when Richarlison was clearly backing into Mings or Konsa rather than being pulled or held.  And the non-foul on Ramsey running through when he was clearly kicked.  Too easily conned I think.  And despite ultimately not influencing the outcome, he seemed to be doing his best by adding 5 minutes from nowhere, and then playing an extra one on top giving Everton one final chance from a corner.  You may rate that as acceptable,  I think it's a sign of the appalling standards we are used to that some people do, and I'll have to disagree.   

I think its rife in the game now.....The foul on St Maxmin in the box, yesterday, was a legitimate foul IMO.....any of the top clubs, would have got it.....but it was ignored.

You almost have to factor it in, when playing now.

56 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I thought he played a massive part in allowing Everton back into the game. He let a lot of challenges go, that in most games would be called up as fouls. Great for Everton and the neutral but again its the inconsistencies. It can't be a foul one game and ok the next or even first half/second half. It is a contact sport and i don't mind if that's how referees want to play it, but it has to be the same for everyone in every game, all game. 

From a refs point of view it is tricky and a fine balancing act but the amount of yellows yesterday was because he lost control of the game a bit, in the aim of letting the game flow. 

18 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I know we all love Emi1, the best GK we have had in a long time and we have spent way too much on dross GKs over the last 6 years or so. The time wasting from him is really starting to irk me, I would like if he stopped doing this

I don't think he does it enough. 

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its rife in the game now.....The foul on St Maxmin in the box, yesterday, was a legitimate foul IMO.....any of the top clubs, would have got it.....but it was ignored.

You almost have to factor it in, when playing now.

To be fair, Man United were denied a stonewall penalty yesterday. 

• Haha 1

Again watkins attitude and enthusiasm is really irritating me im beginning to not want him in the squad, just look at the likes of konsa when we score THATS the type of energy i want in the team but ollie is just on a different planet

3 hours ago, onmeedson said:

Thought we were far better organised yesterday, with players covering each other and willing to be open for a pass. The coutinho and buendia partnership looked promising and time will see the blend with watkins develop into a potent force i hope. That was mings best game for time and when he is in that mood we have the captain we want and the defence to keep a clean sheet. We played as a team and were hard to break down for a change i think stevie is starting to make his mark.

We were better against united in the second half like 10 times better tbf thats some of the best football ive seen in a aston villa side in decades , some of the one touch pass and go was sublime!! … i dont think we clicked on that level against everton but maybe due to the opposition we probably didnt have to

2 hours ago, El Segundo said:

I think the Prem/FA really need to invest in the refs. The standard is so poor. When you consider we have the best league in the world it’s not acceptable. Need to put some money into it an no also give the refs some respect an stop the abuse from players 

7 minutes ago, Pablo_2531 said:

I think the Prem/FA really need to invest in the refs. The standard is so poor. When you consider we have the best league in the world it’s not acceptable. Need to put some money into it an no also give the refs some respect an stop the abuse from players 

I think what baffles me is that it's so obvious when you compare it to good officiating. At the Euros this year the refereeing was (in general) excellent. I found this astonishing after watching the Premier League, as I'd kind of become accustomed to garbage refs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Segundo said:

And despite ultimately not influencing the outcome, he seemed to be doing his best by adding 5 minutes from nowhere, and then playing an extra one on top giving Everton one final chance from a corner.  You may rate that as acceptable,  I think it's a sign of the appalling standards we are used to that some people do, and I'll have to disagree.   

The ref definitely got a couple of glaring decisions wrong against us in the first half, but our goal came from being allowed to take a corner after the two minutes of first half injury time were up, Everton were obviously going to be given the same chance and Martinez was fairly obviously ridiculously time-wasting and continued to do so in a toned down way after the yellow and into injury time, so I dunno that his timekeeping was the biggest issue he had

16 hours ago, TRO said:

With the noise around Goodison, that was a creditable away win.

3 points, clean sheet.....Professional job.

However, We do seem to be a 45 minute team, but its bound to get better.

16 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not taking the piss here. But a strong DCM on the pitch would have made a huge difference in the 2nd half. We allowed all the pressure on our defence and couldn't keep them at bay. A DCM would give us that extra bit of breathing space

We certainly had a very different situation to cope with in the second half - an all-out bombardment from Everton playing a forceful but not very sophisticated or targeted longball game. I think we coped with the 2nd 45 minutes very well, NB they didn't score and we won the game. So I'd say it was a 90 minute performance and we did keep them at bay. I don't really get all the misery about the second half. We defended well in the sort of game that earlier in the season we might well have lost.

• Like 2

I think it reflected somewhat badly that we had basically no apparent threat on the counter at all in the second half, Everton were playing like an angry Championship team in a cup tie, not Liverpool at Anfield, with the players at your disposal you can at least try and get a second and shut them up for the rest of the game

But we still kept a clean sheet and won, so yeah, not cataclysmic or anything

Â