Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

8 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Just exactly who would this better backup be? 

Before you say it's not your job to find that player, that's what we have scouts and coaches for, I'll add that they're seemingly not the ones looking for a better backup.

So what goalkeeper do you have in mind that is an upgrade on what we have and would come here knowing he'll rarely play? Everyone talks about the dropoff in quality to Martinez, but that's not the true barometer. Any backup keeper will be a dropoff to Emi. Which keeper would want to rarely play but would be a significant upgrade on Olsen.

The whole point is that our backup keeper will be getting a lot more time on the pitch this season.

How about Meslier from Leeds?

14 hours ago, romavillan said:

Haha, a slight on Emery?! The fact Olsen was poor playing for Roma? Is that Emery's fault? No. Did Emery sign Olsen? No. Was it Emery that made him perform badly in Sheffield? No. 

What are you talking about? I'm sure Emery will try and get the best out of him if he plays in a Villa shirt. Emery is a **** genius. Olsen is also not a great goalkeeper and we should have a better backup.

But it is a dig on Emery. You didn't mention his time in Roma but said he wasn't good enough to be our backup keeper. Clearly Emery finds him good enough, but you say he's wrong. 

44 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The whole point is that our backup keeper will be getting a lot more time on the pitch this season.

I rated him a few seasons back but Meslier was one of the reasons they went down, he probably wont even be Leeds starting keeper this season. Olsen is probably safer option than him

23 minutes ago, Pelle said:

But it is a dig on Emery. You didn't mention his time in Roma but said he wasn't good enough to be our backup keeper. Clearly Emery finds him good enough, but you say he's wrong. 

Believe me, it's not a dig at Emery, is this how it's going to be from now on? I was vocal about sacking Gerrard, been heaping praise on Emery since day one but now because I don't think Olsen is good enough then I have to pipe down because I'm insulting someone I think is the best thing to happen to us since I can remember?

Jog on.

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I rated him a few seasons back but Meslier was one of the reasons they went down, he probably wont even be Leeds starting keeper this season. Olsen is probably safer option than him

Time will tell, I reckon he has loads of potential. Denis Franchi? If he wants to lay for Italy he needs games...

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

JFC noooooo

I was asked to come up with names! I still think he'll turn out to be a good keeper, I'm suggesting young, ideally we'd have a young talented keeper to step into Martinez's shoes when he goes...

Carnesecchi, from Atalanta think he was on loan at Cremona, talked about very highly. Anyway, that's my lot, someone like that young, talented up and coming with an eye to the future when Martinez isn't about any more....

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I was asked to come up with names! I still think he'll turn out to be a good keeper, I'm suggesting young, ideally we'd have a young talented keeper to step into Martinez's shoes when he goes...

Besides the fact he's trash it's mind boggling how people don't understand that backup keeper who's going to get little minutes is one of hardest positions to fill. You're looking at likes of Begovic and Ryan happy to collect a paycheck. Olsen isn't that bad as much as people make out relative to who's actually available and would be happy to sit on the bench most of the season

As good as Emi is how many times did he play bad ball to defender and goal resulted and he blew up at defender when it was his fault. Several times from memory last season but Olsen does similar in limited appearances and people lose minds even if doesn't end up conceding but Emi does same and gets free pass?

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I appreciate you tackling the suggestion, but two things spring to mind.

1. Meslier would probably think he can get more game time somewhere else.

2. We think Olsen has a mistake in him... Meslier cost Leeds a bunch of games! Started well initially, and then fell off a cliff!

Key takeaway here is that many are looking at Olsen as a drop in quality to Martinez, which is undeniable. When you look at who could actually come in to replace Olsen, the drop off to Martinez would still huge.

Olsen has had a full pre season and, as we saw against Lazio, is immersed into the way Emery plays out from the back.

Anyone coming in to replace him, will be of the standard that means they're not a #1 somewhere, would probably cost money to bring in, would have to start learning Emery ball from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Unai has pretty much free reign at Villa Park now, if he wanted to bring in a 20 million back up keeper he would be allowed. Fact he hasnt brought in a new keeper shows he has faith in Olsen

Yes he could and no it doesn't.

It shows he's not a baby like Gerrard who wants new players if anyone ever cocks up.

If we could find someone better for £3m I think we'd buy them. Scouring the world for players isn't Emery's job, he can't be everywhere. And Monchi is still new so he won't have had a proper chance to sort out the recruitment team yet.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

As good as Emi is how many times did he play bad ball to defender and goal resulted and he blew up at defender when it was his fault. Several times from memory last season but Olsen does similar in limited appearances and people lose minds even if doesn't end up conceding but Emi does same and gets free pass?

No. He gets criticism.

43 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Err, no, we need a competent and reasonably experienced goalkeeper who can step into Martinez’s shoes when needed while he is still here!

When any #2 keeper fills in, I think most people hope he doesn't have a busy game. My take on Robin Olsen is that Emery has had around 9 months to work with him, including a full pre-season and he seems to think he's up to the job.

He had a good game against Lazio, but made one clear mistake. So did other players, most notably Ollie. Didn't cost us the game, but if it had it's what pre season is all about - learning and improving.

We can bet this will be reviewed in detail to that he can try and elimate it happening again in a proper game. I think his distribution has improved, and he's bought into the playing style of encouraging the opposition to press.

As for recruiting a replacement, we'd realistically be looking for someone that no other club wants as a #1. And, given their lack of playing time, how are our scouts supposed to evaluate their effectiveness in competitive games under pressure? The odd game here and there is a small sample size to determine if they can handle games in the PL, as well as adapt to our new style of play.

The life of a reserve keeper is difficult. You don't play much so it's hard to build up form, but need to be ready for the call up, potentially at short notice.

Olsen is not perfect. However he is a seasoned, international goalkeeper that Emery knows all about, and seems settled with his role and life at the Villa.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

When any #2 keeper fills in, I think most people hope he doesn't have a busy game. My take on Robin Olsen is that Emery has had around 9 months to work with him, including a full pre-season and he seems to think he's up to the job.

He had a good game against Lazio, but made one clear mistake. So did other players, most notably Ollie. Didn't cost us the game, but if it had it's what pre season is all about - learning and improving.

We can bet this will be reviewed in detail to that he can try and elimate it happening again in a proper game. I think his distribution has improved, and he's bought into the playing style of encouraging the opposition to press.

As for recruiting a replacement, we'd realistically be looking for someone that no other club wants as a #1. And, given their lack of playing time, how are our scouts supposed to evaluate their effectiveness in competitive games under pressure? The odd game here and there is a small sample size to determine if they can handle games in the PL, as well as adapt to our new style of play.

The life of a reserve keeper is difficult. You don't play much so it's hard to build up form, but need to be ready for the call up, potentially at short notice.

Olsen is not perfect. However he is a seasoned, international goalkeeper that Emery knows all about, and seems settled with his role and life at the Villa.

What was the clear mistake?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What was the clear mistake?

He played a pass out of his area and it went to a Lazio player. 

He wasn't under pressure IIRC, so that will definitely be worked upon in training.

• Like 1

I actually think his biggest problem is nerves…

If he can become more calm and composed, he could cut the errors out…

Dunno if he already has one, but maybe he could do with a psychologist to help him out - much the same way as big Emi does…

I don’t think he’d “cost us” against weak opposition, such as inferior teams in ECL group games, but I’m always worried when he has to play against a strong/decent team and would be even more worried if he had to play in a knockout game…

It feels like we have to “make up” for him by putting in an amazing team performance and not allowing the opposition to threaten us - easier said than done and not all that common…

I don’t want to nor enjoy being harsh on him, but he does have his gaffes and does bring and cause anxiety to the defence, even the team. You can sense that the players don’t have huge faith in him when he’s out there either, almost like they’re anticipating a mistake…

If he can overcome the nerves… we could see a much better player…

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Scared little boy goal keeper? No thanks, I'd rather keep Olsen

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Believe me, it's not a dig at Emery, is this how it's going to be from now on? I was vocal about sacking Gerrard, been heaping praise on Emery since day one but now because I don't think Olsen is good enough then I have to pipe down because I'm insulting someone I think is the best thing to happen to us since I can remember?

Jog on.

But it is. You say he's not good enough, Emery says he is. It doesn't mean you're against Emery. And don't tell me to jog on. I didn't say you insulted him, I didn't say you were against him.

• 3 weeks later...
Â