Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Selling Digne would be wrong,

If we don't sell him now we are stuck with him until the end of his contract when he will leave on a free or we will have to pay him to leave. It would be insane not to sell him this summer if we can. There's plenty of time to a get a replacement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If we don't sell him now we are stuck with him until the end of his contract when he will leave on a free or we will have to pay him to leave. It would be insane not to sell him this summer if we can. There's plenty of time to a get a replacement. 

Not really the season starts in a week's time.

If Digne goes it won't come as a surprise to the club, he's one of the players we've been open to leaving as reported by Collomose several times this summer even before the Saudi rumours, and as such we will have been working on other left-backs behind the scenes, so if Digne leaves another left-back will come in very soon after.

I don't get when people say we need a squad, or we've only got one left-back, the club knows this as do other fans, the idea isn't to sell him or any other player and not replace them, the idea is to sell them and bring in better or someone better suited to the squad.

In Digne's case I think it makes sense to sell if possible because having two left-backs in their thirties isn't ideal as they will need replacing around the same time, better to have one that's younger, also if possible Emery might want a back-up that's more closer in style of play to Moreno than Digne is, as Moreno is very important to our system so would make sense to want another as close to him as possible when he's not available.

• Like 3

Obviously they won't be a 'backup', and I'm well aware that we have two 30 year old left backs as I have mentioned this several times this summer (I think some people on here aren't aware that Moreno is 30 and think he's younger).

As long as we get a replacement as good as or better than Digne then that is no bother, but with the season round the corner I think we'd be better waiting until the end of the month rather than doing it next week when a new signing wouldn't be ready for Newcastle. It's literally 8 days until we kick off the new season and people don't seem to realise that Moreno is injured and won't be available for a few weeks. 

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Collomosse probably most reliable villa journalist. Clearly legs in this. Not fussed either way. Probably best to get rid and find someone as good if not better who’s faster and on less than 160k a week/minute. 

I actually class him as unreliable more than reliable tbh.

Also Saudi transfer window shuts 3 weeks after ours. So he could move after Moreno is back fit if we were interested in selling him at all. 

• Like 1

It’s false to say he’s not in our plans when Moreno is injured. He's been featured in all our friendlies on and off of the bench, has a new squad number. Unless we intend to bring in a young talent and pivot with Pau I don't see legs in this with Moreno injured. 

29 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Would be absolute madness to sell with Moreno injured. I don’t buy the rumour right now. 

The rumours of interest seem to be fairly solid to be honest. That doesn’t mean that we would consider selling but I think we would.

I think most people think that Digne is ok but he is a big hit to our FFP that “ok” probably doesn’t justify. Moreno will be back soon and we have other options in the meantime, possibly a back three with Jaden at wing back? A few uncomfortable weeks compared to another 3 years of a very expensive and diminishing player.

I can see where you’re coming from but I would take the short term pain if the offer for Digne was good. People thought that selling Ings was wrong but in hindsight, that was a brilliant deal for us. I think this could be too. I don’t expect that Digne will be interested though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Obviously they won't be a 'backup', and I'm well aware that we have two 30 year old left backs as I have mentioned this several times this summer (I think some people on here aren't aware that Moreno is 30 and think he's younger).

As long as we get a replacement as good as or better than Digne then that is no bother, but with the season round the corner I think we'd be better waiting until the end of the month rather than doing it next week when a new signing wouldn't be ready for Newcastle. It's literally 8 days until we kick off the new season and people don't seem to realise that Moreno is injured and won't be available for a few weeks. 

I think the fact Digne started last night means he will still be here come Newcastle game.  If he's not in the squad for Valencia then we can panic.

15 hours ago, Joshie2000 said:

It's a typical villa fan response, I couldn't care less what the players are paid as its not my money, that all down to the club. 

He seems he's this year's scapegoat, bit like Mings was when most of the issues were caused by konsa not doing his job so Mings was having to cover. 

We are in Europe and will have 2 cups and league, we need a squad and Digne is good enough to start or be a sub. 

"I don't care, it's not my money" doesn't really wash anymore for a club like ours in FFP times. We need the best squad we can get within a certain budget, so we should care.

Digne is a good player, but he's now backup/rotation LB with a guy we bought 6 months ago who is a better player (in our system, at least), of the same age, and being paid probably around half the amount.

We should be able to find a younger player, for less wages, and better suited to our system than Digne. If not then we don't sell now, but this might be our only chance to get a decent transfer fee as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Would be absolute madness to sell with Moreno injured. I don’t buy the rumour right now. 

he's also been playing really well in preseason and ended the season strong, not saying we shouldn't cash in if we get a big offer but he's definitely not a problem player

i didn't rate him at all when he joined, but he has been decent in recent times and that rhymes so it must be true.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Out wide you can force them to the touchline, which is essentially the same thing.

It's not, it can make it more difficult for an attacker sure. But the touchline can't stick a foot in and outright win the ball. And you can only force to the touchline when you are close enough to it. If Pau tries to force to the touchline he's just going to get beaten round the outside. 

Think it makes a lot of sense to cash in on Digne if there’s a chance, decent player but an expensive one and unlikely to justify the cost IMO. But the timing is really poor, just a week before the start of the season and with Moreno injured, there’s not going to be enough time to bring someone else in. 

Not sure if mentioned previously but perhaps there is a chance we’ll see him this summer. Perhaps that’s why Pau is at LB, to cover whilst we get a replacement in or cover until Moreno is back.

If we can shift Digne and Coutinho it would help from a FFP perspective surely. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

Not sure if mentioned previously but perhaps there is a chance we’ll see him this summer. Perhaps that’s why Pau is at LB, to cover whilst we get a replacement in or cover until Moreno is back.

If we can shift Digne and Coutinho it would help from a FFP perspective surely. 

we've definitely seen him this summer

• Haha 1

Â