Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

I thought he looked bright and did well when he came on but I remain to be convinced. We didn't sign him to come for 10 mins a hit a few passes and shoot into row Z

Agree. On TalkSport it was suggested he come at HT which seemed absolutely ludicrous in such a hurly-burly, physical game. He came on at the perfect time... which again, is really not why we bought him. Unless he's the new Keinan Davis. 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Saw a clip of Liverpool Vs Brighton in what looked to be 2017, and he was just a completely different player. He's lost that little bit of explosiveness over 5 yards that his entire game revolved around.

I've done the exactly same thing.

People think I have an agenda against him. I don't.

He is just a completely different player. Still got great tecnique, you never lose that but his legs are just gone.

People who are still waiting for him to reach his 2017 levels, it isn't happening. That player has gone a long time ago.

Edited by Pinebro

On 01/01/2023 at 19:33, AlwaysAVFC said:

While a brief cameo with a few flashes of good play is hardly the sign of good things to come, I really don't get all the hate and criticism Coutinho has got in about the last year.  

Some of his play when when he first came was sublime. He then went pretty shit/inaffective but you really have to consider how awful we were as a team for a long time under Gerrard. 

He isn't a player who is going to carry a team and yes you can't rely on his pressing/defensive game but I've never written off the potential impact he still has. There was glimpses of his hunger more than anything just prior to the World Cup and Emery when he could see the world cup slipping away and got a chance.

I can't see where he starts though in the team that has played the last couple of games. I suppose Buendia or a push Bailey. I still think he cand have a very important part to play.

I think you make some good points.

He is a talent, no question....its just applying that talent....when you get opponents snapping at his heels , who half his talent, we start to get the problem.

Phil cannot play in a team with others who suffer like him.....He needs protectors, so the mix of the team is important, to his inclusion. I don't think Phil is aligned to playing against a hard pressing team.

To get the best out of him, is tricky....over to you Unai.

On 15/01/2023 at 08:01, Pinebro said:

I've done the exactly same thing.

People think I have an agenda against him. I don't.

He is just a completely different player. Still got great tecnique, you never lose that but his legs are just gone.

People who are still waiting for him to reach his 2017 levels, it isn't happening. That player has gone a long time ago.

sadly, you might be right.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Twice now he's done well from the bench - Leeds and Spurs. Wonder if that's his role now? Would love him to start and put in a good performance but might not have the legs. 

How many games have we played against a low block side? If opposition sit deep, pace and counter attacking are useless. 

We'll need Coutinho for breaking down low block I'm sure. Also he's very good at retaining possession so is a useful player off the bench in way he was against Leeds. 

There's always the chance he sparks into life now he's back to full fitness and can force his way into the starting 11 more regularly 

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Twice now he's done well from the bench - Leeds and Spurs. Wonder if that's his role now? Would love him to start and put in a good performance but might not have the legs. 

The bar must be very low if these small cameo’s are “doing well”.

He’s being paid big money for doing a job we could probably get done by a fringe/backup player.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He started vs Stevenage and did nothing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

The bar must be very low if these small cameo’s are “doing well”.

He’s being paid big money for doing a job we could probably get done by a fringe/backup player.

Surely we can get a better player for that $$$

As many will know on here, I am a big fan of work rate and intensity.....so Phil is a difficult one for me to wrestle with, but lets get one thing clear....Not many players has the technical ability he has, and not many can do what he can do.

So......Its reconciling that in a team selection, I don't think theres any right or wrong answer.

Phil is what he is.....and its unlikely he will ever be anything different.

I just feel, and always have felt....getting the mix of player attributes right, is paramount.

His legs, in this intense game of ours, is probably a huge issue.....but with his talent alone, he has few peers.

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He started the move for our goal and created our best chance after that which Chambers or someone should have put into the net

He was awful. He struggled against League 2 opposition, and when he got some space for a shot they were VERY far from goal.

This is the pass you’re giving him credit for in the build up to Sanson’s goal. 

HaoIooQ.md.jpg

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

How many games have we played against a low block side? If opposition sit deep, pace and counter attacking are useless. 

We'll need Coutinho for breaking down low block I'm sure. Also he's very good at retaining possession so is a useful player off the bench in way he was against Leeds. 

There's always the chance he sparks into life now he's back to full fitness and can force his way into the starting 11 more regularly 

Coutinho breaking down a low block with all those Riquelme style through balls he's done since he's been here.

Â