Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

The non-claret and blue specs part of me does wonder why the **** he chose Villa lol. I mean I’m thrilled he did but we’ve been a whole Bunch of nothing pretty much the whole time I’ve been supporting Villa 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s regularly the case people get all excited about a signing and then it dies off when the deal is done (or at least, officially announced that it will be concluded).

It was the French bowling instructor Jacques Brunswick who said it best - “To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed. Better than the memory. The moment...of anticipation.”

I think it helps also that I think 99% of us are delighted and so there is nothing to argue/debate about.  The deal is done in all but signature so no more back and forth of him signing, we all know what he can do, we know there is a bit of risk but if it pays off will be brilliant.  All in all, one, if not the biggest signing in the clubs history in my time.  There is only so many times we can all agree with each other.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The non-claret and blue specs part of me does wonder why the **** he chose Villa lol. I mean I’m thrilled he did but we’ve been a whole Bunch of nothing pretty much the whole time I’ve been supporting Villa 

I’d like to think that while Gerrard is the main factor, we are also an up an coming team, progressing, have a clear project who are backed by very wealthy owners and from top to bottom of the club are harmonious compared to the vast majority of clubs.  We are a big club without being an elite, we are aiming for European places in the best league in the world and while there will be massive pressure on Coutinho, he will have far more latitude than he would at the one or two of the elite clubs and he’s pretty much guaranteed starter whenever he’s fit.  All round it’s the ideal fit for him to recapture what he was, if he can.

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s regularly the case people get all excited about a signing and then it dies off when the deal is done (or at least, officially announced that it will be concluded).

It was the French bowling instructor Jacques Brunswick who said it best - “To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed. Better than the memory. The moment...of anticipation.”

The thrill of the chase. 

We see it on here in the summer transfer thread - its like spring break! As soon as window 'slams shut' a load of the posters disappear never to be seen until the next window! :D It's like the actual football is secondary.  

People like the dopamine hit of being linked to players and potentially buying them. Sky Sports/Talksport know this, hence their insufferable coverage of deadline days etc. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Honestly, i have no doubt in my mind that this wouldnt have happened with Smith in charge, and i think Gerrard was the critical key to getting it done, if im honest.

I’m a massive Smith but no way would we have got Coutinho under Smith.  

The big test for Gerrard though for me is can he attract big talent who aren’t pals or former team mates.  

This deal shows Gerrard’s massive pull and I’m hoping and I believe his pull won’t just be people he knows but for talent he doesn’t have a direct relationship with. Time will show if my belief is true but jeez this is a bloody good start.

There's a genuine bit of magic with this signing - mega talented player needs to recapture form to make world cup - meets club on the up with a crowd who'll go mental for him and team mates who will be excited to play with him - and not forgetting the relationship with the manager. All the ingredients for something very special. 

There is an ongoing issue throughout his career. He needs the arm around you manager to get the most out of him. He has insane ability but not the self belief. He is quiet rather than arrogant.

Under Benitez at Inter he was wasnt fulfilling his potential. He then went to Espanol where Poch was in charge. He gave him the confidence to play well. He then went back to Inter and failed again. Liverplop took him and Rogers and then Klopp worked their magic on him and he thrived. 

At Barca with all the politics he fell off again. Then he went to Bayern under Perisic and thrived until Flick came in and dropped him for Muller . 

If you fill him full of confidence he finds his form. If you treat him like any other player then he fails. 

Thats how it seems to me .

And now Gerrard who obviously is a good man manager and will give him the belief and warmth comes in and says . Come and be happy playing football. 

Money isnt everything for him it seems . Its the chance to be loved and to smile that seems the thing he craves. 

• Like 1

I didnt think i could be more excited and then i went and did myself over by watching this. 31 minutes of him doing his stuff. Apart from the defensive work he really does have everything. Going to be the most fun i have ever had watching the Villa when he is up to full fitness. 

22 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

There is an ongoing issue throughout his career. He needs the arm around you manager to get the most out of him. He has insane ability but not the self belief. He is quiet rather than arrogant.

Under Benitez at Inter he was wasnt fulfilling his potential. He then went to Espanol where Poch was in charge. He gave him the confidence to play well. He then went back to Inter and failed again. Liverplop took him and Rogers and then Klopp worked their magic on him and he thrived. 

At Barca with all the politics he fell off again. Then he went to Bayern under Perisic and thrived until Flick came in and dropped him for Muller . 

If you fill him full of confidence he finds his form. If you treat him like any other player then he fails. 

Thats how it seems to me .

And now Gerrard who obviously is a good man manager and will give him the belief and warmth comes in and says . Come and be happy playing football. 

Money isnt everything for him it seems . Its the chance to be loved and to smile that seems the thing he craves. 

i think he has an excellent chance of getting the arm round the shoulder here, the love from the club, love from the fans, and playing in his favourite position!, i think its all lined up for him here, i suppose its up to him if it works out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Sky are going to be insufferable. 

As soon as coutinho scores his first goal or gets that first assist, they will begin trying to sell him yo the scum6

I wonder how our agreement works. So if the deal isnt mandatory then does that mean he can turn us down if we decide to buy him or is it our choice and if we decide to purchase him then the pre agreed deal at the pre agreed terms come into effect.

Never had to worry about the finer details of a loan before !! 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think he has an excellent chance of getting the arm round the shoulder here, the love from the club, love from the fans, and playing in his favourite position!, i think its all lined up for him here, i suppose its up to him if it works out!

We will set him up to succeed on every level. Then its up to him to actually do it . 

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Sky are going to be insufferable. 

As soon as coutinho scores his first goal or gets that first assist, they will begin trying to sell him yo the scum6

That's what'll be great about it - I think he'll smash it - and then we get to buy him without competition

26 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I didnt think i could be more excited and then i went and did myself over by watching this. 31 minutes of him doing his stuff. Apart from the defensive work he really does have everything. Going to be the most fun i have ever had watching the Villa when he is up to full fitness. 

just complete madness.

You know what, im not someone who buys Villa shirts really, but i might buy a Coutinho one just to mark the moment that we made the most high profile transfer in the clubs history!

• Like 3

Just now, MaVilla said:

just complete madness.

You know what, im not someone who buys Villa shirts really, but i might buy a Coutinho one just to mark the moment that we made the most high profile transfer in the clubs history!

Same, it’s my 30th in a couple weeks and I messaged my wife when it was confirmed yesterday ‘I know what you can get me now’ 😂

• Haha 2

Â