Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

If I take everything I've read and heard about Steven Gerrard in the last two weeks from the media and from social media (for example, Villa Twitter and also the rest of football Twitter), I feel like I can say dispassionately that a consensus has emerged that Gerrard lacks essential tactical know-how and Villa are boring and stuck. I know this will sound like "where have you been?" but I think non-Villa football observers aren't as invested in all this shit as we are, which is precisely why I found those voices very interesting at the moment.

From those same quarters, minus the Villa-orientated voices, I also hear some reluctance, too, to say "Gerrard Out!" as much as Villa should be doing better and Gerrard can't seem to get them where we think they could go. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of managers getting sacked when they're not yet just abjectly catastrophically failing. I've actually even been struck by some of the confidence expressed in the the Villa "project," but that same confidence is definitely not extending to Gerrard himself. I can't remember if people in Britain use the term "lame duck," but I think that sums it up.    

I think that's as objective a view as I've been able to pick up, and it seems pretty unmistakable, sadly, for Gerrard. He lost Villa social media more than a month ago, but now he's lost people who don't really care all that much. That says something.    

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Why is Tommy Jordan’s word held in such high regard?  Who is he?

He's communications director at Villa, so in essence he's the main man when it comes to what go feed to the public and media

Â