TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed, fan opinion is a bad sole indicator. The other indicators would be:

- alienating players

- poor results

- terrible performances

- poor decisions

- not giving youth a chance

- signing players with no resale value that don't improve the club....

etc

if the whole fan base want him gone, it's too late. The toxicity will have spread too far, and it is better to not let the club get to that stage. 

Haha, agree with all of that. Apart from the signing players point. You can argue Bouba, Carlos, Digne and Coutinho have no resale value but they most definitely have improved the club. 

I'd also add that Purslow will have a view on the financial position of the club, the belief in the manager within the training ground, and the status of potential options for a new manager. He will have to consider all of that in the round and then come to a position. So it's a bit more nuanced than people like to make out. 

For what it's worth I'm usually one of the last to turn with Managers, it is just my nature to try and apply some patience. But I do agree that once the toxicity spreads it becomes impossible to recover the situation so it's better to pull the plug before that point. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Many might not agree with me but injuries to key players aside I would say Gerrard will leave the squad in a better place than when he took over. I think it’s an exciting job for a new manager. Especially if he has the boards backing financially.

Absolutely. Certainly on paper.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Many might not agree with me but injuries to key players aside I would say Gerrard will leave the squad in a better place than when he took over. I think it’s a exciting job for a new manager. Especially if he has the boards backing financially.

I agree! I’ve only praised Gerrard on bringing in the likes of Kamara, Carlos, Coutinho, Digne and others.  Some of them are underperforming but I think some really good buys.  I think we’ve recruited less than we should and I think we had desperately signed poor players in Dendoncker and Bednarek at the end of summer but on the whole it’s some really good buys. My issue only is his management, coaching and on the field.

5 minutes ago, jim said:

My sister spotted him and the coaches at Bake 180 at Middleton Hall earlier. She said they were all in good spirits.

B37CEF1C-8A8E-4226-9A9F-F1A2B34AD1A9.thumb.jpeg.b161aead2ee7d737c72cb15ba2b77780.jpeg

Critchley, Danks, McAllister, GK coach who I've somehow forgot the name of. Who are the other two?

Leaving out McPhee 😞 🤣

6 minutes ago, jim said:

My sister spotted him and the coaches at Bake 180 at Middleton Hall earlier. She said they were all in good spirits.

B37CEF1C-8A8E-4226-9A9F-F1A2B34AD1A9.thumb.jpeg.b161aead2ee7d737c72cb15ba2b77780.jpeg

Hopefully the next photo of them together is them with their stuff in boxes leaving the club... For good!!!

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Many might not agree with me but injuries to key players aside I would say Gerrard will leave the squad in a better place than when he took over. I think it’s a exciting job for a new manager. Especially if he has the boards backing financially.

6 months ago I would have agreed with this, but he's played these players into such bad form that even us fans are doubting whether they're as good as we thought. Don't think the job is as enticing as it once was, and that's down to Gerrard. Besides, he wasn't even the one making the signings, as although he surely has a say the final calls are above him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

6 months ago I would have agreed with this, but he's played these players into such bad form that even us fans are doubting whether they're as good as we thought. Don't think the job is as enticing as it once was, and that's down to Gerrard. Besides, he wasn't even the one making the signings, as although he surely has a say the final calls are above him. 

Come on give him credit where its due. Coutinho, Bouba and Digne are all on record saying the Gerrard pull was a massive factor in them signing. By your logic no manager should ever get credit for signings because a final call is always made by the money men above a manager. 

He's a crap manager but the calibre of his signings have been top drawer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Critchley, Danks, McAllister, GK coach who I've somehow forgot the name of. Who are the other two?

Leaving out McPhee 😞🤣

Jordan Milsom and Tom Culshaw? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Come on give him credit where its due. Coutinho, Bouba and Digne are all on record saying the Gerrard pull was a massive factor in them signing. By your logic no manager should ever get credit for signings because a final call is always made by the money men above a manager. 

He's a crap manager but the calibre of his signings have been top drawer. 

It's just a fact of modern football. He was influential in the decision of the players perhaps but the decision to actually sign them wasn't down to him. I don't judge coaches by signings, this isn't the 90's anymore. Case in point, look at the difference in our signings from when Suso was here Vs Lange. Dean Smith was coach for both eras. They weren't "his" signings per se, despite him having input.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's just a fact of modern football. He was influential in the decision of the players perhaps but the decision to actually sign them wasn't down to him. I don't judge coaches by signings, this isn't the 90's anymore. Case in point, look at the difference in our signings from when Suso was here Vs Lange. Dean Smith was coach for both eras. They weren't "his" signings per se, despite him having input.

I don't understand your point. Of course he didn't make the final decision to sign them, there isn't a single football manager that makes that decision, that is for the CEO / Chairman etc. 

But if your main point is that managers should not be judged (positively or negatively) on signings because they don't have much sway over them these days, I'm afraid I disagree. 

Like him or loathe him, Gerrard walked through the door and within 6 months 4 players with big reputations sign for us. If we're saying that is a coincidence and had nothing to do with Gerrard then I think the blinkers are on. 

I repeat my point, I think he's a crap manager but the profile of player brought in has been good, and I think he should receive credit for that, just as he would receive stick if they'd all turned out to be crap. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I don't understand your point. Of course he didn't make the final decision to sign them, there isn't a single football manager that makes that decision, that is for the CEO / Chairman etc. 

But if your main point is that managers should not be judged (positively or negatively) on signings because they don't have much sway over them these days, I'm afraid I disagree. 

Like him or loathe him, Gerrard walked through the door and within 6 months 4 players with big reputations sign for us. If we're saying that is a coincidence and had nothing to do with Gerrard then I think the blinkers are on. 

I repeat my point, I think he's a crap manager but the profile of player brought in has been good, and I think he should receive credit for that, just as he would receive stick if they'd all turned out to be crap. 

It has nothing to do with liking him or not, I apply this to any manager under this regime in particular. The signings are the metric I judge the club by, not the manager. They're not even managers, they're head coaches. 

Regardless, I'm not necessarily convinced that the signings under him are any bigger than other signings of the Lange era. Ings, Bailey and Buendia were major signings, unlike anything we've seen before at the club at that point. Ross Barkley loan was huge, regardless of how that turned out in the end. The club have just been leveling up continually. Really the only signing I can't see joining us without Gerrard is Coutinho. 

• Like 1

Like many on here, I've been checking every notification, in desperate hope, this week. I was down that nasty London at a conference in the Banking Hall yesterday, listening to our Group CEO doing his thing and still checking my phone, and genuinely would have celebrated like our winner against Watford 3 seasons ago had the news come through. I want it that much. I've never known our fan base so united in one opinion. He has to go. This is awful.

I've always been a big fan of our Ashley. Didn't even begrudge him his move to United. He deserved it. But, I couldn't celebrate his goal on Monday. Genuinely could not. 46 years old and that is the first time ever. Even at the last few home games when I'm there in the front row of the Trinity, it's felt a little bit fake. Ersatz. Win, lose or draw football is about being entertained for me. That's gone. He's also so unlikeable. I've got no problem with sarcasm, us Brummies are up there with the best, but he's just horrible. A clearly horrible, horrible terrible man. I think the players probably hate him and that would explain alot. Remember how happy they used to look? Such a smiley bunch under DS. Maybe too much, but that's for another discussion. Replacing Smith with Liverpool's finest was like replacing Ronald Mcdonald with Vladimir Putin. Would explain the present attitude. Read what Terry said about Smith after he'd balled someone out. He was all about managing the person as well as the footballer. The things we've seen in public are things I'd never do as a leader, imagine what he's doing behind closed doors that we don't know about? No, I'm not feeling motivated either.

Anyway, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so here is the hope that I'm clinging to. Poch is on his way, but why would he want to begin his tenure with a hammering from a rejuvenated Chelsea at home when he has very little time to do anything about it? Makes sense to me. That will get me through my 9 hours out of the house on Sunday to endure what is quite likely to be a total humiliation. Sunday night, Monday morning...please let me see that notification pop up.

Once again, looking forward to better days. All the best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â