Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

So the big question that was asked when he took over...

Has he done enough to get the Liverpool job when Klopp eventually leaves? 😜

In my opinion he definitely has deserved it though I might be slightly biased 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well according to Danny Murphy he could replace Klopp. Knows his stuff does Danny. 🤣

Didnt Danny Murphy say he wouldnt be interested at the time and would be looking to aim higher 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

He's honestly killed any optimism I have going into a match day this season. 

It will be the same formation, same players wedged into that formation and the same slow, predictable, boring game 'plan' he's blindly pinned his hopes on in every other fixture. Other teams know exactly how to play against us. 

It worried me to hear Beale say on Talksport that he speaks to Gerrard 2 or 3 times a week about 'tactics'. Yes, they are probably friends but maybe speak to your players about tactics and try to make them understand what the hell they are actually supposed to be. 

I just can't believe our board fell for Purslow giving it the big un' about what Gerrard did at Rangers. I'm not over exaggerating, I reckon 99% of us on this forum could win the League up there with either of the Old Firm, it's literally a case of 4 games a season, you got lads playing for Hearts etc... who were playing in the Conference before. You really can't judge any manager from that. 

If he's still here come the Jan transfer window, then we will be in big trouble, because he will buy another 2 or 3 'older' players (or his mates), on big wages, with little appetite for a 5 month relegation battle. 

• Like 1

Bit random but I was looking at his insta earlier. 

If you didn't already know he was Aston Villa manager you wouldn't be any the wiser from looking at his insta page. I couldn't see a single post about Villa on there, and his job isn't even listed in his bio. 

I thought that was a bit weird because its not like he isn't active on there, he has plenty of recent posts just nothing about being associated with Villa. 

This honestly feels a lot like the Bucks in 2018. All of the talent to be competing for an NBA title, but their coach was dragging them down and hindering development. The coach Jason Kidd was given a vote of confidence and fans has lost hope he would be fired because he was close friends with one of the owners, Marc Lasry. A few days later, this happened after a particularly embarrassing loss: https://www.nba.com/news/milwaukee-bucks-coach-jason-kidd-fired-report

Seeking change amid midseason struggles, the Milwaukee Bucks fired coach Jason Kidd on Monday after a slide that left a team with designs on challenging the NBA’s best in eighth place in the Eastern Conference.

It was a surprising end to Kidd’s three-plus-season tenure in Milwaukee, during which the Bucks made the playoffs twice, exiting in the first round each time. Giannis Antetokounmpo turned into an All-Star under his watch, and the Bucks were considered an emerging force in the East at the start of the season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

If he's still here come the Jan transfer window, then we will be in big trouble, because he will buy another 2 or 3 'older' players (or his mates), on big wages, with little appetite for a 5 month relegation battle. 

To be fair if he was to leave tomorrow I don't think we're any worse off for the signings he has made. The only one you could really debate is Coutinho. 

Bouba / Carlos / Digne are all solid players that I'm sure the next manager will be more than happy to work with. 

But yeh if you mean 2 or 3 more Coutinho's then yes that is worrying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I hope the journalists at his presser for the Chelsea games really push him, and not allow him to spin a narrative that he’s a victim of Aston Villa Football Club.

“Myself and my staff tried to install a mentality similar to what we did at rangers. First and foremost our remit was to avoid relegation”. He’ll chat his way out of anything. I wonder if they would take him back at rangers 

You know what, I would rather have been relegated with Deano  than put up with this bag of shite! At least we would have been challenging at the top of the championship playing entertaining football. We'd still have a '!long-term plan, a brilliant captaim and a strong bond with our fanbase. Gerrard is killing our beloved club....I detest the blokeIm so glad we flucked up his birthday went we beat them Scousers! I think the  Chung is on a revenge mission against us...get rId NOW!!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He's honestly killed any optimism I have going into a match day this season. 

It will be the same formation, same players wedged into that formation and the same slow, predictable, boring game 'plan' he's blindly pinned his hopes on in every other fixture. Other teams know exactly how to play against us. 

It worried me to hear Beale say on Talksport that he speaks to Gerrard 2 or 3 times a week about 'tactics'. Yes, they are probably friends but maybe speak to your players about tactics and try to make them understand what the hell they are actually supposed to be. 

I just can't believe our board fell for Purslow giving it the big un' about what Gerrard did at Rangers. I'm not over exaggerating, I reckon 99% of us on this forum could win the League up there with either of the Old Firm, it's literally a case of 4 games a season, you got lads playing for Hearts etc... who were playing in the Conference before. You really can't judge any manager from that. 

Surely the expectation must be that if he is still here come the Jan transfer window (even allowing for the fact that the World Cup brings with it a winter break) then we must actually have seen an up turn in results that have moved us away from the relegation zone.  I can't see the Board accepting us being in the bottom 5 or 6 by the end of December.  I can see them maybe not wanting to act before the World Cup so that they have time to make an appointment, get the new person in the door and having some time with those squad members not at the WC (or not in the latter stages of the WC) before the league gets underway again.

I think we will be close to relegated if Gerrard stays, so I see no problem in people wishing for a loss vs Chelsea, if this hastens his departure and results in a better manager coming along.

Even if we aren't in the relegation spots under Gerrard, it is still not good enough. Not just the points per game, but the overall performances, tactical awareness, subs, selections, everything is broken at the moment, and the common denominator is Gerrard. 

The players look lost, we get to pass it around our backline then look confused when the other team sit back and say 'come on then' and we have literally no idea what to do.

We are at risk of losing several of our quality players in the Jan transfer window, just because of Gerrard and his stupid decisions / stubbornness.

He obviously doesn't have a clue what he is doing, and the sooner he is gone, the better it will be for our club, and if wishing for a loss hastens that along, then I'm good with that.

I obviously don't want us to lose games, but we need to see the bigger picture.

If it's a choice of limp along at 1ppg (and falling) for the next however many games until the Board / CEO see the light, or make changes now, get someone in who has a clue about tactics, and support them in Jan to fill the gaps that Gerrard has made in our squad, it's a no brainer for me. I just don't understand how this has dragged on for so long when it's just so apparent what the issue is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Played: Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, West Ham, 10- man Leeds and Nottingham Forest.

Minus 5 goal difference and 2 points. Dogshit.

Just needs more time! Unbeaten in 4! My lobotomy is next week!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I wonder if they would take him back at rangers 

I asked my Rangers supporting mate last night. The answer was a pretty emphatic “no thanks!”  He added everyone always knew that Beale was the brains of the outfit. 

Which leads me to ask, why didn’t Purslow know this and if he did why didn’t he know Beale had ambitions to be a manager in his own right. It seems inconceivable to me that Gerrard wouldn’t know this or even that Beale hadn’t told Purslow he wasn’t going to be around for long. 

Purslow couldn’t wait for a photo of him appointing Slippy G and certainly wouldn’t let a little thing like due diligence get in the way of such an important project as finding his pal a suitable stepping stone to his dream job. 

Appointing an unproven, at this level, manager as a vanity project is bad enough, but to hand him £5 or 6m a year is taking the p!55. 

I think a couple of gentlemen in the director’s box may want a chat about a few things with their CEO on Sunday. 

• Like 2

If that’s accurate I wonder what their understanding of “no more than a few points” is after what will be 15 games.

We were 6 points off 8th and 5 points off 10th when the last manager was let go after 11 games.

I have a sneaky feeling that we could pick up just a couple of points from the next 3 games and he’s still in the dugout at the Newcastle game.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â