Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I'm still convinced he will be given to the World Cup to turn things round, it's a natural break. We have six games, and I expect that he will need 9 points from those six games to keep us out of trouble and keep his job. Of course if we have our trousers taken down at the weekend at home and it turns toxic they may be forced to act, but if we keep the score down and give them a game then he will continue in post.

Shouldn't do though, it's clear as day that he's clueless.

• Thanks 1

I think it’s naive to think sacking Gerrard will automatically mean better performances on the pitch. Any new manager will need time and we could struggle in the near term (after a potential new manager bounce). At the moment we are grinding out points. They could turn in to loses.  However it’s clear Gerrard is not the right man for the long term so the time will eventually come when he’s sacked.  I think he will get until the World Cup.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s naive to think sacking Gerrard will automatically mean better performances on the pitch. Any new manager will need time and we could struggle in the near term (after a potential new manager bounce). At the moment we are grinding out points. They could turn in to loses.  However it’s clear Gerrard is not the right man for the long term so the time will eventually come when he’s sacked.  I think he will get until the World Cup.

Ordinarily I'd agree with this but the problem at the moment isn't the players, it's the system. We're sending various combinations of players out to play in the same structure every week that just isn't working. A new manager might be willing to try something different.

At this point Gerrards either stubbornness or arrogance has become an obstruction to any kind of change.

• Like 1

It's equally as naive to think keeping Gerrard will mean better performances 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I'm still convinced he will be given to the World Cup to turn things round, it's a natural break. We have six games, and I expect that he will need 9 points from those six games to keep us out of trouble and keep his job. Of course if we have our trousers taken down at the weekend at home and it turns toxic they may be forced to act, but if we keep the score down and give them a game then he will continue in post.

Am I right in thinking that would mean a decent uptick in ppg/form? We couldn't make a decent chance against 10 man Leeds or bottom club Forest. Things are more dire than I think some people realise—we're not getting 9 points from the next 6 games. We'll be submerged in the relegation zone if he stays for that amount of time.

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's equally as naive to think keeping Gerrard will mean better performances 

Don’t think anybody is thinking that to be fair. But we haven’t lost in 4 so we are still picking up points.  I know the opposition isn’t the best but if we were complete shit we could have lost these games.

I agree that he most likely he will be given until the World Cup. But that will be a massive mistake by the club, it just will leave us closer to be relegated. We have played 7 relegation candidates /teams that were out of form, and only managed only 8 points. We did overachieved against the two top teams and got 1 point. Now we are faced with matches against mid to top level teams, and based on our performance we can’t expect any points. That will leave us with 9 points after 15 matches, that should leave us at the bottom of the league.

Attracting a good manager in league position #16 is easier than if we are in position #20.

As you say it will take time for a new manager to implement his ideas, in other word the more time the new manager gets the better.

For the best of the club he should be sacked as soon as possible.

• Like 2

I believe the club will get rid only when they have someone lined up.  Getting rid now could be worse, how many times have we seen a caretaker manager come in and not get results.  As crap as Gerrard is, we are grinding out draws and narrow wins.

4 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I agree that he most likely he will be given until the World Cup. But that will be a massive mistake by the club, it just will leave us closer to be relegated. We have played 7 relegation candidates /teams that were out of form, and only managed only 8 points. We did overachieved against the two top teams and got 1 point. Now we are faced with matches against mid to top level teams, and based on our performance we can’t expect any points. That will leave us with 9 points after 15 matches, that should leave us at the bottom of the league.

Attracting a good manager in league position #16 is easier than if we are in position #20.

As you say it will take time for a new manager to implement his ideas, in other word the more time the new manager gets the better.

For the best of the club he should be sacked as soon as possible.

Given 5 points separate 11 teams I don’t think it’s a simple as we can’t expect any points against mid to top table teams. We will pick up points, it will just be by boring, uninspiring, negative smash and grab football. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah I agree, he'll muddle along enough results to get him to there and the club will then bottle it and hope he can turn it around with a 2nd mini pre season 

If this happens we deserve to get relegated and I wont even care at that stage

Said it in pre-season this clown will sleep walk us into a relegation battle

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Like Smith struggled after replacing Bruce, and Howe struggled after replacing Bruce? 

If you've got a shit clueless manager the team will be shit 

If you replace him wirh ab actual decent manager then team will be better. 

I have zero doubt a decent manager will immediately turn this team around. We've fot decent players. 

Well yeh. They both struggled at the start. I’m not saying don’t sack him now.  I just get why they don’t want to sack him before somebody is lined up. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well yeh. They both struggled at the start. I’m not saying don’t sack him now.  I just get why they don’t want to sack him before somebody is lined up. 

Sacking him now would lift the spirits of the fanbase and probably the squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Given 5 points separate 11 teams I don’t think it’s a simple as we can’t expect any points against mid to top table teams. We will pick up points, it will just be by boring, uninspiring, negative smash and grab football. 

It is clear that Gerrard have given up, he do the bare minimum, while he waits to get his compensation package. He have stopped going over to the fans after matches, now he can’t wait to get away. The players have picked up on that and look frustrated and resigned, and definitely aren’t giving their all.

How on earth are we getting any points against teams that aren’t as rubbish as Southampton/Leeds/Forest, when manager or players don’t care at all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because some managers refuses to talk about a manager positions that aren’t vacant. They think it is morally wrong to go behind the back of a colleague and discuss taking over their job.

Â