Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, penguin said:

How?

Smith essentially had to build a whole new side in our first Premier League season, on paper looking back it was dire, and stayed up.

Then built on this finishing 11th the following season, our squad now is considerably stronger than that which accomplished this. 

Got sacked the following season with Jack being sold and being unable to settle on a system to utilise his 3 “replacements”. The reason being he wasn’t delivering on “continual improvement”.

Gerrard then comes in and starts strongly followed by a theme of regression. After bringing in his own players, being allowed to completely smash the club ethos of not buying older players for big money/wages in the process, and having a full pre-season to settle we’ve proceeded to look worse than ever.

I can’t fathom how you’ve arrive at the opinion Gerrard has had it harder.

How?  Gerrard has the task of kicking Villa on to the "next level", the standard of football is higher and requires more - which Smith ultimately failed at last season. That already puts Gerrard under more pressure, yes I know Gerrard has been backed financially - so was Smith but he had no clue to a winning (even drawing) system without Grealish. Also remember Gerrard doesn't have the positive stuff that Smith had in the bank, i.e the progress we made from the Championship and personal identification/connection that he had with the club. 

Therefore, I think it is a harder job for Gerrard than it was for Smith because of the aforementioned reasons. You seriously saying if Smith didn't turn a few of those defeats last season into draws people on here wouldn't spin it as a positive? 🤣 

I am not trying to diminish what Smith achieved here but he was supported through some rough spells too. Gerrard isn't afforded the same, rightly or wrongly.

But then we have people tell me that Purslow didn't back DS? Didn't hand him a new contract?  Didn't stand by him in poor spells? Don't revise history. Smith run out of ideas and did not have skill set to kick us on. Smith oversaw five defeats in a row, not even a draw or anything to build some hope from in that run last season. Smith wasn't the answer. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

We had bad spells with DS and Purslow evidently stood by him. Don't revise history. Gerrard has a harder job than Smith did here IMO. Gerrard is failing to kick us on and we are standing still that is fair enough, I think most are in agreement. Please stop talking about Smith! DS struggled badly without Grealish. Move on. 

You want Chelsea to batter us? Go and support somebody else. 

I love the satire. Keep it up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

You're entitled to the view. My view is that each and every day he stays at this club, he does more and more damage. The sooner he is sacked and we move on, the better.

Sacking Gerrard is a failure. It means the club has failed to make the right appointment, what gives you hope for the next one?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think Gerrard have realised that he is in over his head, but he have to stay until he get his compensation.

I also think the players have figured out that Gerrard have given up, the last two games they seems frustrated, unhappy and slightly resigned.

All in all the match against Chelsea could be bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Because I disagree with you, that makes me someone who doesn't support the club?? Righto, I noticed in your rant you failed to answer my question, which was what has SG achieved in 11 months here??

If my opinion on this social media platform has offended you so much, maybe you should ignore me then.

Rant? 🤣 

What has he achieved in the 11 months here? A lot people think the squad quality has got better, we should be doing better right? so I would say the signings of higher calibre players - Kamara, Carlos, Coutinho etc. But on the whole Gerrard's reign is not what I wanted or expected. 

You want Chelsea to batter us over a manager you personally dislike? I think that it is pathetic and shit support. Ignore me if you wish. 😁 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Rant? 🤣 

What has he achieved in the 11 months here? A lot people think the squad quality has got better, we should be doing better right? so I would say the signings of higher calibre players - Kamara, Carlos, Coutinho etc. But on the whole Gerrard's reign is not what I wanted or expected. 

You want Chelsea to batter us over a manager you personally dislike? I think that it is pathetic and shit support. Ignore me if you wish. 😁 

😅 Nothing you say offends me, in fact I find it very entertaining, I have no need to ignore you.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I'll be glad when he's gone just so people shut up yapping on and on about him ! My word lets have a new chapter.

I cant wait and I will be having a huge party for the liberation of Aston Villa from his reign of terror

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant wait and I will be having a huge party for the liberation of Aston Villa from his reign of terror

You should be supporting the manager 😅😅🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Villan_of_oz

26 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Sacking Gerrard is a failure. It means the club has failed to make the right appointment, what gives you hope for the next one?

What makes you think that doubling down and hoping a failure becomes a success is more likely to work than bringing in a better manager?

31 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Because generally people learn from their mistakes. That part is relatively easy.

The hard part is admitting you made a mistake.

People need to chill.

As I reckon we are in WHEN , not IF territory.

Unless we go on a 5 match winning run or something, starting with Chelsea which we know ain't happening.

If for nothing else, they must realise most the fans are done, which is counterproductive for the club as a whole.

We can defo debate the timing though IMO.

Polls all.over social media are above 80 and 90 percent OUT at this point.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard absolutely does not have a harder job than smith, the players smith had in the first two seasons were championship level. The fact he took us to a cup final was an incredible achievement, look at the 11 he had in the final.  We’re not asking Gerrard to move mountains here I genuinely think the majority of us would be happy if we played decent football, looked in any way well coached. The players look shot of confidence, the fans are unhappy, Gerrard has thrown the players under the bus multiple times. It’s a complete and utter shit show 

I have already said why I think this is a harder job than Smith's was. Which doesn't mean Gerrard is doing a better job than Smith or Smith was totally crap. To be totally clear.

"We’re not asking Gerrard to move mountains here I genuinely think the majority of us would be happy if we played decent football, looked in any way well coached" - I think that isn't true. People don't like Gerrard because he isn't Smith, he has no connection with the club.  There is an emotional aspect to wanting Gerrard to fail and they have no sentiment towards him. The last month the goal post have totally moved around. Gerrard has no hope on here with the mob.

I can't think (or know) of any players that have come out and criticised Gerrard. Mings? He is a regular for SG. Gilbert? Sanson? All these players had issues with Smith last season. Smith dropped Mings against West Ham remember.  I worry that our problems run a bit deeper than Gerrard. A lot of the same group of players got Smith fired.

• Confused 1

Â