Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

16th now, and 2 points off the drop. Too close for comfort, especially the way we are playing.

And could be in the top ten with a win tomorrow.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I said he’s doing enough to save his job.  He should beat Forest to be fair. My point though and I’m not a believer of going game by game as I’ve mentioned before, it’s about consistency over time and losing an individual game I never believe should make a difference to a managers job, it should be about performance over a material period.  

If he beats Forest and gets four points from the next six games is that enough to keep his job?  It seems roughly in line with his run rate for this season and even into the back end of last season.  If the performances continue to be “pragmatic” with those points? What is a building block(s) under him look like.  Gerrard seems to just get enough points that he’s not getting the sack but we still underperform.

Anyway I can’t judge a manager game by game in the bigger picture.  Obviously I can praise or criticise a manager about a result or performance but a sacking shouldn’t be based on one game or the pressure shouldn’t be more or less.  If he wins, he shouldn’t be under less pressure and if he loses results in more pressure.  For me it’s performances and results over a period of time, not one, two or three games because any team can be unlucky or lucky in a particular match plus it depends on the opposition.  Apparently we’ve had the third easiest fixture start of the season so we are going to start hit some bigger/harder teams/games and it’s worrying we’ve only got 8 points.  Gerrard has imo a banker of three points tomorrow so he needs to lock that away and plan for the next group of games.

Gerrard has turned the form around whether you like the style or not, that is a skill and requires players being behind the tactical changes. I agree we can beat a poor Forest team, we are capable but we need to be clinical in front of goal. Watkins can't be missing 1v1s on a weekly basis, we have an issue if so. Gerrard needs to address it too. That is fair. 

It boils down to whether people are willing to suffer in the short term,  allowing the manager to learn and grow from mistakes or go for another manager in the hope of us improving? 

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Let's wait and see what happens before getting too upset and making accusations, it's a long way to go.

I'm not making accusations? You said relegation would be failure. But failure can be much more than just relegation for where we're at as a club right now.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I'm not making accusations? You said relegation would be failure. But failure can be much more than just relegation for where we're at as a club right now.

You called people brainwashed...

Get it straight, it's just guys kicking a ball around, chill.

After last season I believe that there was enough evidence that Gerrard was not the man to take us forward. He started well, by making needed adjustments to Smiths tactics. After the January window he unsuccessfully tried to integrate his new signings together with some of his own tactics that didn’t work well.

Then we had the pre-season, and my take on that that we played Gerrard’s preferred 11 in the first half, and then in the second half we swapped and played with the rest of the squad. In most of the games in the pre-season we played remarkably better in the second half. I though that, Gerrard would learn something from that, but no, first match of the season, Gerrard’s preferred 11 started. Gerrard tells us that the bad results are on him, but he continues with the same mistakes.

Maybe Gerrard would get a result against Forest, and get a few more weeks in the job. If we look at the fixture list after Mondays match, we see that our opponents on average getting at lot stronger than what we have played so far. In other words at some points the number of loses will get to a point where the club is forced to sack him either they want it or not. We are in the near future getting a new manager anyway, why not sack him now, it would get the new manager more time to salvage what can be salvage of this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

It boils down to whether people are willing to suffer in the short term,  allowing the manager to learn and grow from mistakes or go for another manager in the hope of us improving? 

I don’t think he’ll learn and grow so I’m voting for the new manager.

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard has turned the form around whether you like the style or not, that is a skill and requires players being behind the tactical changes.

Three games isn’t turning around form going back to my point on my last comment.  

Also it’s only results somewhat but not performance.  The Man City game was great, a fantastic point.  Southampton was two very poor teams and we got the goal that took the three points, it certainly wasn’t because of how we played or a great created goal.  Leeds, we couldn’t beat a team of 10 men for half a game and a flapping keeper.  That is not turning the form around is it?  

Thankfully 5 points that was desperately needed but still only 8 points this season, which continues the end of last season run.  As I say Gerrard is doing enough to keep his job but hurting Villa medium/long term because a few points here and there, and then poor again…we are averaging less than a point for so long, what 19 games, 8 points from 8 games and then a few games and people arguing he’s turned it around.  It’s going to take a lot more to claim he’s turned it around imo but I get a few want to claim it after the last three games when arguably only one was a good performance, the City game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

We can't just sack our way to success. Not sustainable.

The unending patience with Steven Gerrard of Purslow and some on here is perplexing! Your point is a good one, but this wouldn't be a knee jerk reaction. 90% of his tenure has been sub-par - he hasnt built up credit in the bank through good performance, he had a new manager bounce and since then, the only thing he appears to have done is drag down expectations at the club. 

We can't sack our way to success, but we can recruit our way there. 

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

Ok.  We should keep him forever then.

Seems a little extreme....

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Three games isn’t turning around form going back to my point on my last comment.  

A few unbeaten I'd suggest is indeed turning around form by definition. 

• Shocked 1

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

It is far more complex than simply sacking somebody and appointing a new guy.

So why did they sack the previous guy? 

We're not 2 months in,  we're 12 months in.

We've gone backwards.

He's not shown any intelligence at all, and there aren't even any signs that things are improving.

We're now "back to basics" of long balls and "not lose at any cost" football.

The whole thing is a joke.

The experiment is a failure.

He needs to be sacked, and we need to move forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Seems a little extreme....

It was a direct response to "you can't sack your way to success"

Which suggests you should not sack.

Which means that he would stay forever, or he would leave for a better job. 

No one in their right mind would offer him a better job.

Therefore we would keep him forever.

So yes, "you can't sack your way to success" is indeed a little extreme.

1 minute ago, Thug said:

So why did they sack the previous guy? 

We're not 2 months in,  we're 12 months in.

We've gone backwards.

He's not shown any intelligence at all, and there aren't even any signs that things are improving.

We're now "back to basics" of long balls and "not lose at any cost" football.

The whole thing is a joke.

The experiment is a failure.

He needs to be sacked, and we need to move forward.

Anyone who watched the Leeds game and is content with what they’re seeing are in denial. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think he’ll learn and grow so I’m voting for the new manager.

Also it’s only results somewhat but not performance.  The Man City game was great, a fantastic point.  Southampton was two very poor teams and we got the goal that took the three points, it certainly wasn’t because of how we played or a great created goal.  Leeds, we couldn’t beat a team of 10 men for half a game and a flapping keeper.  That is not turning the form around is it?  

Thankfully 5 points that was desperately needed but still only 8 points this season, which continues the end of last season run.  As I say Gerrard is doing enough to keep his job but hurting Villa medium/long term because a few points here and there, and then poor again…we are averaging less than a point for so long, what 19 games, 8 points from 8 games and then a few games and people arguing he’s turned it around.  It’s going to take a lot more to claim he’s turned it around imo but I get a few want to claim it after the last three games when arguably only one was a good performance, the City game.

Three games is a starting point, nothing more or less. What would you want SG to do? It is like a boxer being hit and knocked down in the first round but staying down because he has no hope or belief in the fight. This is a battle, Gerrard and the team can fight their way back. 

Gerrard isn't hurting Villa long term, his scope doesn't stretch that far. That is a crazy statement. If you said Purslow's decisions were hurting Villa medium/long term I would understand but you can't put that at Gerrard's door. Would you fully trust Purslow and Lange with the next appointment? I appreciate some of the good Purslow has done but I am questioning him now (along with Lange). I have lost some faith in them with regards to the footballing side.

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Anyone who watched the Leeds game and is content with what they’re seeing are in denial. 

Worse still, they acuse those that aren't in denial of "frothing at the mouth"

Utter madness.

• Like 3

Â