Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Echoing a lot of my thoughts. 

if Gerrard goes, we are stuck with a few long term problems he created. No wingers, and a dud Coutinho

so the what ever manager we get in, they’re forced to play narrow too… uchhh 

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Echoing a lot of my thoughts. 

if Gerrard goes, we are stuck with a few long term problems he created. No wingers, and a dud Coutinho

so the what ever manager we get in, they’re forced to play narrow too… uchhh 

People raised this very early on.

We were meant to have restructured the club so that the head coach worked within a defined remit, with a fairly consistent way of playing from youth to senior teams.

We threw that all out of the window, let Gerrard do what he wanted, and I don't think it's any exaggeration to say he's set us back years, but the culpability is with those who allowed him to do it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I probably held on too long but he must go at this point. The signs were there last season but I thought with a preseason and some signings, we'd see what a Gerrard managed side can do. 

Well we have and it's shit. Dogshit performances, zero cohesion, can't score, can't defend, confidence very low. We've played 4 bottom half teams and been battered 3 times. 

Gerrard has to go. 

this-this-girl.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

For me both Purslow and Gerrard are to blame for this mess and both of them should be falling on their swords for it.

Gerrard defo, Purslow, i'll let the owners decide. If they wanna keep him it'll be for the right reasons. For me apart from this appointment, he don't seem to have done alot wrong.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

People raised this very early on.

We were meant to have restructured the club so that the head coach worked within a defined remit, with a fairly consistent way of playing from youth to senior teams.

We threw that all out of the window, let Gerrard do what he wanted, and I don't think it's any exaggeration to say he's set us back years, but the culpability is with those who allowed him to do it.

It really has been a disaster appointment. Gerrard has really been the wrong manager to back this strongly. 

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nothing wrong with our football club except the manager. Club is nowhere near rotten

I think you are quite right, but we seriously need to show we actually have the capacity to at least give it a good go. If we fail at that, we must at least be able to make ourselves a relatively consistent mid-table team that is know for being well-run and out of danger most years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villan_007 said:

He's right though. The final ball from everyone was beyond poor. I agree tactically He's got apt to answer for. But some of the passing was horrific from everyone. 

Yes, but he's set up the team so we're relying on all with and wide attacking intent from full backs. He even got rid of Targett and installed Digne who obviously he feels is better suited to the task. 

If the personel are not good enough and don't have the capabilities to play how we wants them to play, expecially when he brought one of them in to do so, he can't then throw them under a bus. 

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He only left last summer, he has definitely heard this from some of the players

Yep and i think he is not popular with the players.

I think the writings on the wall. Its getting a bit toxic. Ince you lose the dressing room your finished

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Why? 

Serious question. With the squad he inherited and the backing he recieved why was it not an easy job or a quick fix? What was so difficult? 

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

I'm a bit caught up on this part. 

Since NSWE joined, we have been on an upwards trajectory, it stalled a bit in the last full season under Smith, followed by a horrendous start to the next season. We hit a little bump, but were still progressing overall. 

Was there need for a quick fix, or any fix at all? We had a young'ish squad with potential, we just needed someone to get us back on track and continue our progression, we did not need a fix. 

It's worrying, that all though I understand Gerrard's arguement that we needed quality, that with every quality signing he has made, we have actually regressed

How I see it is that, the team had stopped performing under Dean and their confidence was shot. There was a real threat that we would be relegated at that point. SG came in and gave us that "new manager bounce" but, it soon became clear that was what it was and our team's previous failings returned, and they haven't gone away this season.

SG has been backed and the signings that he has made have in my opinion, generally been good ones. Sadly, other players that had been performing well in the past, have not done so for a while now. Examples are, John McGinn looks a shadow of the player he is when he's wearing a Scotland shirt, Ollie Watkins has gone backwards since he made his England debut and even Matty Cash isn't making those terrific forward runs as often, of late. The squad also contained players that needed to be moved on and we have begun to do that.

I don't think that team performances have "regressed", but they have in my opinion returned to where they had been when Dean left and that "little bump" is in fact a brick wall. The team need to stand up and be counted (with hopefully the help of 2 or 3 quality additions), in the way they did when SG arrived. I think Dean and now SG were/have been frustrated by a lot of the lack lustre performances that were put before them, and us. Team selection and formation often has been a contributing factor to our sub standard performances, but the entire blame did/does not in my opinion, rest with Dean/SG. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yep and i think he is not popular with the players.

I think the writings on the wall. Its getting a bit toxic. Ince you lose the dressing room your finished

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Â