Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think a good CEO leaves him in place for the next two while we find a replacement - I think we should be talking to that replacement now about players in the last few days of this transfer window. I think we leave Gerrard to suffer the reaction to our upcoming two whopping great losses and then appoint a new man for a run of fixtures he's got a chance in.

I don't think the club will be at that stage before the window closes unfortunately. The concerning aspect is that Gerrard, rather than the club, seems to be calling the shots on incoming and outgoing transfer activity. Ive got a feeling Gerrard will leave us in a bit of a mess, with an even more unbalanced squad than we have already. 

On 05/08/2022 at 13:24, TRO said:

If we finsh 16th.....He will walk, he wouldn't need the sack.

The biggest driving force behind SG, is himself....If he can't achieve what he wants to achieve, he won't hang around.

Really looking forward to him walking Would help up out!

What we actually need is a new midfielder, but we need to spend £20m sacking Gerrard and his team.

Oh dear.

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I’m getting fed up with the pundits that keep saying yea but Arteta. 

If Arteta ends up failing there'll aways be the "Fergie was 1 game away from the sack" line to fall back on. People seem to forget that for every Fergie that turned it round or Arteta who seems to be turning it around there are 50 managers that are just not that good and don't turn it around

I would say as well, I'm usually late to the "sack the manager" train, I lost the faith in Bruce just before he was sacked, I didn't want Deano out but after that 5th defeat I accepted he should move on right before he was sacked, after today I'm a fully paid up member of the Gerrard out club so if my previous is anything to go by he'll be gone before the next game 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's difficult to see how he'll turn it around. If we lose to Arsenal and City we might well be bottom of the league going into Leicester away on 10th September.

I think a good CEO leaves him in place for the next two while we find a replacement - I think we should be talking to that replacement now about players in the last few days of this transfer window. I think we leave Gerrard to suffer the reaction to our upcoming two whopping great losses and then appoint a new man for a run of fixtures he's got a chance in.

I liked this because I agree with it, but to be clear there's a 0% chance that second paragraph is what's actually happening. We'll have to lose half a dozen to a dozen more before Purslow is prepared to back down over his boy.

18 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Highly unusual that not a single Villa player has posted on social media tonight. None of that normal 'not the result we wanted' stuff... Odd.

Don't know what it means, if anything, but holding on to the hope it's because something is brewing behind the scenes. 

I thought that, I know players won't generally do their own social media, but it's clear that they've been told to keep off it for now, for whatever reason. I'm sure the same thing happened before Smith was sacked but can't be sure

21 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Highly unusual that not a single Villa player has posted on social media tonight. None of that normal 'not the result we wanted' stuff... Odd.

Don't know what it means, if anything, but holding on to the hope it's because something is brewing behind the scenes. 

Is Mings actually even ill?

Sick of this clown I suppose 🤣

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think the club will be at that stage before the window closes unfortunately. The concerning aspect is that Gerrard, rather than the club, seems to be calling the shots on incoming and outgoing transfer activity. Ive got a feeling Gerrard will leave us in a bit of a mess, with an even more unbalanced squad than we have already. 

That’s my worry too. The idea was that even if Gerrard didn’t work out, he would still leave us in a better place because of his ability to bring in players.

People weren’t counting on Gerrard’s desperate attempts to save his job, which makes him get rid of young talent and unsettles the squad.

• Like 2

I think most of us can take a bad run or players down on confidence. But when there is seemingly only one plan which isn't working and the manager is for whatever reason unwilling or unable to change it, it is time to get worried. He has had a whole pre season to get ready and this is the best option?

47 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Micah Richards funny on MoTD. "The systems all wrong, players don't know what they are doing, Coutinho in the wrong position, only won 1 game so far".

Then this beaut.

"He's a great manager, look what he did at Rangers, just needs time".

F*** off Richards, you obviously best pals, you've just justified how useless the team is under him. 

The problem is, even if he weren't "Great," but merely good enough, we operate a universe with real supporters, not commentators, and they are very much seeing an end of the road emerging for Gerrard at Villa, and the supporters cannot be ignored when it's so many and we're still not seeing a win.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is Mings actually even ill?

Sick of this clown I suppose 🤣

I don't think there's anything amiss there. Even Gerrard isn't stupid enough to drop Mings entirely and claim he was ill which can easily be disproven by Mings himself, and Mings doesn't seem like the kind of guy to down tools either.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

one is the last Villa player to make a PFA team of the season

So?

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

That was my thought when he was missing. Possibly big cracks appearing in the dressing room.

Respect to Ty if he has actually called this clown out behind the scenes and questioned him. Maybe he hurt SG’s ego and has been punished for it… that could have happened some time ago…

I have no idea what the truth is or whether there is any unrest or any form of it behind the scenes, but I would not be surprised at all. SG seems to be as abrasive as they come…

From the outside looking in, it doesn’t really appear to be a very happy camp…

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I don't think there's anything amiss there. Even Gerrard isn't stupid enough to drop Mings entirely and claim he was ill which can easily be disproven by Mings himself, and Mings doesn't seem like the kind of guy to down tools either.

So?

Probably, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some kind of falling out and SG told him to stay at home…

I don’t question Mings’ attitude at all and I’m willing to defend him in the face of any criticism, he has always been such a vital player for us, represented the club well and has always conducted himself well. I’ve always liked him.

I don’t know, I normally don’t like speculating on things like this but everything just seems to be a mess… 

It’s got to the point where I won’t be happy until SG is gone now, the sooner the better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think most of us can take a bad run or players down on confidence. But when there is seemingly only one plan which isn't working and the manager is for whatever reason unwilling or unable to change it, it is time to get worried. He has had a whole pre season to get ready and this is the best option?

It’s evident and clear for all to see that he doesn’t actually have a clue what he is doing. If he doesn’t have someone to hold his hand, he’s completely useless. We are the most aimless team in the league, it’s embarrassing.

Just now, Jas10 said:

Probably, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some kind of falling out and SG told him to stay at home…

I don’t question Mings’ attitude at all and I’m willing to defend him in the face of any criticism, he has always been such a vital player for us, represented the club well and has always conducted himself well. I’ve always liked him.

I don’t know, I normally don’t like speculating on things like this but everything just seems to be a mess… 

It’s got to the point where I won’t be happy until SG is gone now, the sooner the better.

Of course, but even Gerrard recognises now that Mings is our best fit CB.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Respect to Ty if he has actually called this clown out behind the scenes and questioned him. Maybe he hurt SG’s ego and has been punished for it… that could have happened some time ago…

I have no idea what the truth is or whether there is any unrest or any form of it behind the scenes, but I would not be surprised at all. SG seems to be as abrasive as they come…

From the outside looking in, it doesn’t really appear to be a very happy camp…

I actually think this is why he was dropped in first game.  Had a run in with Gerard.  In fairness to a manager, you have to show authority if you are approached in wrong way by a player.

Just now, Mantis said:

Of course, but even Gerrard recognises now that Mings is our best fit CB.

I dunno, I guess I should stop going down this line of thinking. It’s not like me tbh, I’m just really fed up and annoyed and can see plenty of reasons for there to be discontent. There have been noises or murmurings from different players (or their “camps) too… I don’t think things are great…

If I was there, one thing I would question the manager on is why he says one thing and does another?

Why he plays and has appointed an out of form player as captain? 

Btw, I didn’t quite catch his full reaction but was Luiz especially pissed off after being taken off? Can’t blame him…

Â