Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is it personal with Steven Gerrard for people? Is there something about him people just don't like? Or is it strictly a coaching thing? Not sure if I grasp the levels of antipathy, to be honest. I've never been a particular fan, but it seems like there's something deeper going on that goes beyond the performance, all this old score-settling or baggage or something. I don't get it. 

Purely lack of coaching

27 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is it personal with Steven Gerrard for people? Is there something about him people just don't like? Or is it strictly a coaching thing? Not sure if I grasp the levels of antipathy, to be honest. I've never been a particular fan, but it seems like there's something deeper going on that goes beyond the performance, all this old score-settling or baggage or something. I don't get it. 

As someone who was pretty happy and excited with us hiring Gerrard and fully supported him 100% until the Crystal Palace match I’ll try to answer…

He not seeing the problems that we can all see. He’s not improving the team after being at Villa for almost a full season. He is tactically poor. His PPG, wins, losses record is terrible. His football is disjointed and boring and naive, and I think virtually any PL manager could do better with the squad we have.

Finally, once a manager gets to this point, I’ve never in my lifetime of supporting Villa, seen a manager get out of the hole he has dug for himself.  And if he’s not going to massively improve (statistically, tactically, and entertainment wise) then what’s the point of keeping him. 

Yet even while I’m criticising him, I still hope deep down that he might suddenly change what he’s failed at for 31 games.

In summary, its the hope that kills you.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

As someone who was pretty happy and excited with us hiring Gerrard and fully supported him 100% until the Crystal Palace match I’ll try to answer…

He not seeing the problems that we can all see. He’s not improving the team after being at Villa for almost a full season. He is tactically poor. His PPG, wins, losses record is terrible. His football is disjointed, boring and I think virtually any manager could do better.

Finally, once a manager gets to this point, I’ve never in my lifetime of supporting Villa, seen a manager get out of the hole he has dug for himself.  And if he’s not going to massively improve (statistically, tactically, and entertainment wise) then what’s the point of keeping him. 

Yet even while I’m criticising him, I still hope deep down that he might suddenly change what he’s failed at for 31 games.

In summary, in the hope that kills you.

Well said. I'm out of reactions for today, but thanks. Interesting stuff.

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He not seeing the problems that we can all see. He’s not improving the team after being at Villa for almost a full season. He is tactically poor. His PPG, wins, losses record is terrible. His football is disjointed, boring and I think virtually any manager could do better.

In summary, in the hope that kills you.

Similar situation to you until Palace.

However, I still keep the " Hope " and do want us to win, and ideally come out the other side.

I'm not yet ( and probably will never be ) in the camp of wanting us to lose. I'll see how we do against West Ham, but yeah the rope is short obviously.

And @Marka Ragnos for some it's 1000 percent personal, in combination with feeling Deano was wrongly done by.

Admittedly, SG hasn't done himself a great deal.of favours. So it makes having any sort of nuanced discussion quite difficult.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who tf cares?

Jesus Christ is anyone else just happy we won and it was enjoyable in the end ffs?

It legit seems like some people prefer point scoring over the actual football 🤦🏿‍♂️

We all know the issues, it doesn't mean every moment of joy has to be sucked out of supporting the team, especially when we win.

Can we at least have a few hours?!

This. I am not suggesting Gerrard is the man, that he is even good or likable, but ffs this is getting ridiculous.

At this point we will have to trust the club to do the right thing, keep him or sack him. If we can’t even trust them to do that, there is no chance in hell they’ll fix the issues by appointing a new manager. 

Obviously ok to criticize and debate,  it right now it’s just the exact same message over and over again.

At least allow yourselves to feel a little joy over a win. We will lose many more games this season, so relish it. It doesn’t mean you like Gerrard or want to keep him.

We all know. The club knows as well. You want him gone.

Also note I am not arguing he’s awesome or that I want him in this post, so don’t bother.

Edited by daft
  • Like 4

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, I still keep the " Hope " and do want us to win, and ideally come out the other side.

I'm not yet ( and probably will never be ) in the camp of wanting us to lose. I'll see how we do against West Ham, but yeah the rope is short obviously.

Yes I’d still rather us win against West Ham and rather Gerrard work out the problems, learns from it and improves the team tactically. But it’s looking more and more unlikely match by match.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And @Marka Ragnos for some it's 1000 percent personal, in combination with feeling Deano was wrongly done by.

Admittedly, SG hasn't done himself a great deal.of favours. So it makes having any sort of nuanced discussion quite difficult.

You’re on fire tonight mate. Well said. My position exactly.

Edited by daft

I don’t know why the Gerrard defenders seem to think that everyone who wants him out must hate him or have a personal grudge against him.

I want him gone.

But I’m delighted we won today.

And if he continues winning, I’d love the guy.  I want my team to win, and I WANT him to deliver that.

However, I just can’t see him doing it.  THAT’s why I’d have him sacked now. Not because I have some irrational dislike for him.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

For me it's really simple, he just seems completely out of his depth. Don't think I've ever seen a manager so devoid of footballing ideas. There is no discernible way of playing. He's had 10 months. Zero progress. Most often, we look like a team that's never played together. Also we have a very expensive team full of internationals. I mean it would be absolutely hilarious, if it wasn't so goddam tragic.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thug said:

Why don’t you compare this:

Sherwood had Gestede.

Gerrard has Ings and Watkins.

1.67ppg under Gerrard playing Ings and Watkins together 😀

Sherwood also had Benteke for 13 games, plus Delph, and wasted Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew and Adama second season.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I don’t know why the Gerrard defenders seem to think that everyone who wants him out must hate him or have a personal grudge against him.

I want him gone.

But I’m delighted we won today.

And if he continues winning, I’d love the guy.  I want my team to win, and I WANT him to deliver that.

However, I just can’t see him doing it.  THAT’s why I’d have him sacked now. Not because I have some irrational dislike for him.

It’s not about defending Gerrard. I see very few people do that, even less claiming results or performances are good.

It’s about trusting the club to do the right thing at the right time. If they can’t do that when they have so much more info and context compared to us, we are **** no matter what. 
I doubt he’ll turn it around. I hope he does. 

I DO KNOW the people in charge will send him packing if that is actually the case.

2 minutes ago, daft said:

It’s not about defending Gerrard. I see very few people do that, even less claiming results or performances are good.

It’s about trusting the club to do the right thing at the right time. If they can’t do that when they have so much more info and context compared to us, we are **** no matter what. 
I doubt he’ll turn it around. I hope he does. 

I DO KNOW the people in charge will send him packing if that is actually the case.

💯

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

For me it's really simple, he just seems completely out of his depth. Don't think I've ever seen a manager so devoid of footballing ideas. There is no discernible way of playing. He's had 10 months. Zero progress. Most often, we look like a team that's never played together. Also we have a very expensive team full of internationals. I mean it would be absolutely hilarious, if it wasn't so goddam tragic.

This could absolutely true. And if it is, what does that tell you about the club in general that he is still around, when he is the most clueless football manager in the modern era. Do you understand the absolutely devastating qonsequences of that being true? 

Aston Villa FC will soon be a distant memory if what you just wrote is true. Gone. 

Consider this; what if the players actually enjoy playing for him? What if they trust and like him? 

How would the squad react if they sacked him now? 

Again, I am not saying I love or even believe in him, but right now people are making stuff up out of fear, and make those fear into reality.

We either trust the club to do what is right as they have the information advantage over us. It’s really that simple.

He will be gone if he can’t do this.

2 minutes ago, daft said:

This could absolutely true. And if it is, what does that tell you about the club in general that he is still around, when he is the most clueless football manager in the modern era. Do you understand the absolutely devastating qonsequences of that being true? 

Aston Villa FC will soon be a distant memory if what you just wrote is true. Gone. 

Consider this; what if the players actually enjoy playing for him? What if they trust and like him? 

How would the squad react if they sacked him now? 

Again, I am not saying I love or even believe in him, but right now people are making stuff up out of fear, and make those fear into reality.

We either trust the club to do what is right as they have the information advantage over us. It’s really that simple.

He will be gone if he can’t do this.

Our squad adored Smith but he still needed to go.

It's just so obvious he's out of his depth. Guy had 3 years of experience in Scotland, I'd have had reservations about signing him if we were in the Championship, let alone aspiring for Europe.

I think the reason the club will be dragging its feet is because Purslow stuck his neck out on this appointment. He'll want incontrovertible evidence before pulling the trigger. Something like a 5 game losing streak for example.

4 minutes ago, daft said:

So he picked a team that was too good? 

This argument doesn’t even make sense for a man devoid of footballing ideas. How did he identify who to play? 

He picked his favourite players, as always. Clearly the ones he considers the best.

What point are you even trying to make here?

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's just so obvious he's out of his depth. Guy had 3 years of experience in Scotland, I'd have had reservations about signing him if we were in the Championship, let alone aspiring for Europe.

I think the reason the club will be dragging its feet is because Purslow stuck his neck out on this appointment. He'll want incontrovertible evidence before pulling the trigger. Something like a 5 game losing streak for example.

A five game losing after beating United at old Trafford if I remember rightly.... Still torn over Deano, felt he had to go but for something better than this (so far)

That Wolves game was a catalyst just like the Leicester match the year we went down....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I know. I have the same reservations, and my point on timing still stands. It is obvious he, as most managers, will have to go at a point where it’s appropriate. I have to trust them to think ‘it looks shit, but the boys love him, and we’re just three games in, they’ll collapse if we chuck him now’. 

I have to believe the club has that sort of professionalism to know when it is time. If I don’t have that belief, we go all in on my first paragraph, because that means they appointed and held on to a clown that is not fit to ,an age a hotdog stand. 

And tote ramifications of that is that Aston Villa will be mismanaged to death. I cannot believe we are there yet, because that would **** kill me. 

Yet every thread on here is about how absolutely clueless the man is, that he is beyond any redemption and that he is, in fact, the worst Villa manager in history that has turned the players against, he doesn’t know what tactics are.

Yet our club have let him stay on FOR A YEAR?! I cannot yet let go of the slight hope the we are not that poorly run, because if we are…

If we are, we are in very, very serious trouble. There is much more than relegation at stake if that is true.

He still doesn't know his best 11 even the media are starting to report it now.

I'm glad we got the win tonight against League 1 Bolton with a weakened team. But I just know we will come crashing back down to earth Sunday when Wet Spam get there first win of the season coasting against us. I'm still in the knowledge he won't be here by January at the latest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, penguin said:

He picked his favourite players, as always. Clearly the ones he considers the best.

What point are you even trying to make here?

That the same poster said he had no footballing skills yet picked the best footballers so he could win and not be sacked. 

Â